Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Not Dressing Kids for the Weather
momofboys 05:11 AM 04-22-2010
The last week or two my DCM has been bringing her kids dressed quite inappropriately in my opinion. Today the high is only going to get to 65-66 & right now it is only 43 degrees outside yet they all came in short sleeved shirts & shorts. They did wear jackets but I'd planned to go to the park around 10:-10:30 & it will likely only be in the low to mid 50s then, too cold for shorts!! So I will have to dig around for more appropriate clothing (pants!). Does anyone else have this problem? Should I address it with the mom?
TGT09 05:23 AM 04-22-2010
THANK YOU! I almost started this thread last night! I keep having 15 month dcg sent without shoes and one day without socks! Today she comes in a short sleeve with no jacket or anything!

3 yo DCB has come in shorts and short sleeves EVERY day this week and no jacket. I've had to dig out a child sweatshirt every single day this week for him to even be able to go outside in the afternoon.

We are both in Ohio so we share somewhat of the same weather. :-) Rain is on it's way.
mac60 05:27 AM 04-22-2010
I have in the past asked parents to send in a pullover sweat shirt or spring jacket that stays here throughout the spring/summer/fall. That way, when they forget, I have something. I would probably send home a newsletter explaining with the varying temps, that everyone needs to come dressed for the day in shoes, socks, jacket, etc. I don't know why for some parents dressing their children appropriately is such a hard thing to do.
TGT09 05:31 AM 04-22-2010
Yeah, that's a good idea. There are quite a few things that I need to include on a newsletter from lately. I think I'll be typing it up this weekend to give out on Monday.
Childminder 05:37 AM 04-22-2010
I've been in child care one way or another for over 40 years and some parent ALWAYS sends their child inappropriately dressed. I just gave up wasting energy on being upset about it and keep extra clothes to change the little darlings. Some times right after my newsletters go out with the reminder in it, it's good but only for a day or two. I used to make a big deal but in my dotage I decided that there are other more important battles to fight. I have a parent that has been sending their child all winter without a hat and mittens. You guessed it, she shows up all week with 60-70 degree weather with a hat and mittens. WTF!
MN Mom 05:49 AM 04-22-2010
Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! My two older dcb's are school aged and always dressed in jeans and tee-shirts w/ hooded sweatshirts, but the 6mo baby comes in shorts, summer jumpers and sandles....poor little thing is always cold! Thank goodness today she dressed him in a long sleeve onsie and pants with a hooded sweatshirt. I may be able to get outside and work on cleaning up the flowerbeds with him today!
Unregistered 06:07 AM 04-22-2010
Grrrrrrrrr, I have this same battle on my hands all the time and I live in MINNESOTA!!! This winter I had a 6 month old DKB with no hat/mittens, I only have two girls so he was dressed in pink the majority of the winter!! Today it is 36 degrees out and I have a 2.5 year old in shorts, T shirt, and no socks! Needless to say she tells me pore guy was freezing on the way into town, I had to have the heat cranked! WHAT, REALLY?!? I wanted to say well he is really going to freeze when we go outside this am and I don't have heat ducts on my swingset, pore little guy, but I bit my tongue instead!! Seriously, the high is 60-65, to me in Minnesota that still isn't shorts weather- you can definately be comfortable in pants at those temps and even a sweatshirt! I like shorts when it is 80-90 degrees! : I
tymaboy 06:14 AM 04-22-2010
I have parents keep (or bring diaper bag) with change of clothes for child. I used to have a family that didnt bring shoes, I told them that I borrowed So &So shoes (who had extra pair) so we could go outside. They brought shoes everyday after that. I dont know why it is so hard to understand these things, then it is always our fault if they get sick.
nannyde 06:18 AM 04-22-2010
It's a losing battle. No matter what you do it won't work. You will get some parents who do it right every day but you won't get the whole group to do it.

Remember that this is the time of year when the kids have outgrown the winter stuff.. parents have located or bought the summer stuff. They want to start doing the easy summer stuff right away.

I have a FULL complete head to toe wardrobe here for EVERY kid in my house many times over. I give up a significant amount of real estate in the house to my stock. I have a huge collection of sweats, sweatshirts, socks, undies, robeez slippers, t-shirts, shoes, and Gap Warmest winter coats for EVERY KID no matter what age or size they are. If they are between the ages of 0-5 I have everything I need here many times over.

I have to use my clothing pretty much every day. I've had kids before where I litterally have redressed them the second they hit the door and put them back in their own clothes right before departure. I've had day after day of too small clothes... way too big clothes... plastic vinyl clothes... no enough clothes... nothing covering their feet... no jackets... no mittens.. and on and on.

I keep a full stock of footed jammies of every size 0-5 so I can pop my jammies over them for nap time and extra warmth. I HATE the snap clothing of the babies so I keep a TON (like ten in every size) of footed jammies that zip up to cover the clothes of the babies so I don't have to do snaps all day.

I have full sets of Granimal sweats both bottom and top.

The one caution is NOT letting the stuff out the door. I would say that 90 percent of the time you let something out the door it will not come back. Even with asking parents ... the amount of time it takes to get them to get it back is HUGE. If it's something nice, loose, easy on, etc. they will keep it. I've lost quite a few pairs of Robeez that way and it's heartbreaking. They are now over 30 dollars a pair to replace.

I have it in my policies that parents are NOT required to bring their child dressed appropriately for winter wear as we provide everything. I get excellent compliance on that.

Clothing: Parents are requested to send their child in comfortable and easy to manage clothing. Please do not send your child to day care in clothing that has many snaps. Outfits requiring you to remove the top in order to get to their diaper area are not acceptable as they are too time consuming for changes. Overalls are not acceptable for children being potty trained.

All children who are not potty trained must wear onesie undershirts with secure snaps. Babies wearing footie jammies or outfits must have a pair of socks on also. All children must wear socks or slippers that the child can not remove or do not easily come off during clothing changes. We recommend Robeez brand slippers and can assist you in finding a pair for your child at a reasonable cost. If a child removes their socks during play time we will not hunt for them. We will return them when we come upon them. For sanitary reasons, we do not allow staff or children to go barefooted in the house or wear just a diaper in the day care.

We keep the house cool in the summer and fairly cool in the winter. (Nan is hot blooded ) Feel free to overdress your child. We can always remove layers to make your child comfortable. Dress your child for the coldest part of the day and we will take it from there.

No hats, barrettes, jewelry, watches, belts, or clothing with strings attached. We do not allow hoodies with strings or jackets with strings. No indoor wear hoodies at any time for any age child. Children may have hoodies for outerwear for outside only (outside spring and fall jackets). They can't wear them inside the house. Any bottoms with drawstrings are not allowed.

We need three spare complete head to toe outfits for the kids under two and two outfits for the kids over the age of two. We will pass them back as the children outgrow them.

We provide coats, hats, gloves, boots, and snow suits for each child. Parents are not required to bring their child in weather appropriate outdoor gear. We will make sure they have everything they need every day.
Daycare Mommy 06:50 AM 04-22-2010
Yep. I too have given up on this one and written it off as a lost cause. I keep a basket of spare clothes that have been outgrown by my kids and just pull them out when needed. It can be annoying, I know, but I just kinda and move on.
grandmom 07:19 AM 04-22-2010
nannyde and others,

The way I get clothing back when it goes home with a child: I have written in permanent ink the initials of my daycare in a very conspicuous spot. Believe me, these clothes won't be worn out to dinner. They always come back after washing.

I too have a supply of clothing, but not as extensive as you. That's a lot of laundry.
tymaboy 07:28 AM 04-22-2010
Originally Posted by grandmom:
nannyde and others,

The way I get clothing back when it goes home with a child: I have written in permanent ink the initials of my daycare in a very conspicuous spot. Believe me, these clothes won't be worn out to dinner. They always come back after washing.

I too have a supply of clothing, but not as extensive as you. That's a lot of laundry.
I have a clothing fee cuz I got tired of my back up clothes leaving with a child & not returning. I have yet needed to charge the fee
nannyde 07:59 AM 04-22-2010
Originally Posted by grandmom:
nannyde and others,

I've tried that trick but it hasn't helped. They may not use the clothes for going out but they are fine at home with my name on them. I only get nice thick roomy stuff that's EASY on. If they get ahold of anything EASY they will keep it.

The robeez are a HUGE problem because they are so expensive. I've heard every excuse you could imagine of why I don't get them back. They forgot them.. they went straight to Grandma's and grandma lost them... they are sitting on their table... but whoops the dog got ahold of them.... etc. etc. I've never received a pair of Robeez back. In the last five years I think I have received two sweatshirts back.

My Staff Assistants just won't keep track of it. If it's something that is under the coat I don't see it on the child at pick up because she hands them to me already dressed in their winter gear. All I see is a dwindling supply as the winter progresses. I TRY to remember to check everyone but I get busy having one kid after another leave.

I do get some donations. If a kid has something that I would like for the stock I ask the parent if I can have it when the kid outgrows it. That's how I have gotten a lot of easy on shoes. I only use them for our outdoors so I don't loose them. It's the stuff they wear on them during the day that I end up loosing.
GretasLittleFriends 10:07 AM 04-23-2010
I have an infant who mom forgot to restock the diaper bag one night. He wet through his outfit without a change of clothes. It so happens that our baby is due in the next two weeks so I have a lot of pink 0-6 month clothes waiting for (hopefully) her to be born. I sent this little guy home in lavender outfit. He looked so cute, very much like my daughter at that age. She hasn't forgotten to restock that bag since. It was too cold to let him only wear a diaper.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:17 AM 04-23-2010
I try to keep extras in their cubbies, Parents provide at enrollment, and usually there are some in there. but if not I send them home in a long t shirt left over from one of my older kids. boys girls,.. no matter. they get a long too big t shirt that is like a dress. if its winter I send a towel to wrap around them. I always use a camper towel ( not a nice one from the house, but one from bathing the dog or camping) clean,.. and not nasty but not fresh and fluffy. I have written in magic marker across the front and back of t shirt,..loaner from MISS JILLS HOUSE, Bring me back. I dont care how it looks, I want it returned though. lol. and surprisingly,... it always is. lol
melissa ann 04:46 PM 04-23-2010
Today 3 yr dcg came in with a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt on top of that and a sweatshirt on top. She had on pants and flipflops! She's been wearing tshirts, shorts and flipflops and it's not that warm here. It's been in the 50's.
I have in my handbook about shoes that adequately protect the feet when playing outside. Flip flops don't cut it. Plus, dcg doesn't walk that gracefully in them. Her 13 mo old brother had on a onesie with a sweatshirt on top but no pants or socks. So frustrating.
Tags:clothes
Reply Up