Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging Extra if They are Late ?
DanceMom 04:19 AM 08-06-2010
I have a mom that came to me yesterday telling me she would be out of town all next week so her husband is flying solo with their daughter. she informs me he will try to be here by 5:00 ( when I close ) but it may not be until 5:15...

I have things going on 3 of the days and cannot stay open past 5 - so those days I will tell her/him daughter must be picked up by 5 - but on the other 2 days would you charge them extra ? Daughter is dropped off at 6:45 so she will be in my car for almost 11 hours these days....
tymaboy 05:13 AM 08-06-2010
You need to go by your policy on issues like this. If you have it in your policy about late fees then charge whatever is stated in it but if it is not in the policy then you should not charge a fee.

I have it stated that I will charge $5 per child for every 15 (or partial) min that they are here past their contracted time.
judytrickett 05:22 AM 08-06-2010
Well of course you should charge them! Would any employee at a job work an extra 15 minutes and not expect to get paid????

You have to make it worthwhile to you and a deterrent to them so it doesn't become something they think they can do often and for free.

You should be charging then at least $10 for every 15 minutes they are late. And the reason I say at least $10 (mine is $15 or a dollar a minute) is because if your fees for all kids were considered you probably make around $15-20 an hour. So, at time and a half that would be between $23 and 30 an hour.

Don't do it for less.
emosks 05:22 AM 08-06-2010
When it comes to a situation like this and they ask you beforehand I don't charge. Just like when I have a mom that has to be to work at 7 (dad usually drops off) and she needs to drop DD off at 6:45 and we don't officially open until 7...I don't charge her extra.

I'm a mom of 3 kids of my own and a husband who travels A LOT. I know how hard it is.
DanceMom 05:36 AM 08-06-2010
Ahhhh...See I want to be a hard ass and stick to my policy (which DOES state that anything over 5 minutes late is $5.00 PER minute they are late..I havent charged this ever to anyone but no one has taken advantage of me - this family is usually the first to pick up ( but also the first to drop off )

I don't think she would start to screw me and start doing it all the time - but I think my biggest problem is that I dont appreciate being TOLD and not ASKED - I have a life too..

Think I will tell her if he is later than 5:05 that my late fees will kick in - just to stick to policy.
judytrickett 05:41 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by Heather:
Ahhhh...See I want to be a hard ass and stick to my policy (which DOES state that anything over 5 minutes late is $5.00 PER minute they are late..I havent charged this ever to anyone but no one has taken advantage of me - this family is usually the first to pick up ( but also the first to drop off )

I don't think she would start to screw me and start doing it all the time - but I think my biggest problem is that I dont appreciate being TOLD and not ASKED - I have a life too..

Think I will tell her if he is later than 5:05 that my late fees will kick in - just to stick to policy.

The bolded part...yep, that would really tick me off.

But Heather...it's about your WORTH. YOU are worthy of being paid for your time. You spend ALL day, many times much longer hours than the average worker caring for the well being of the most precious segment of the population. YOUR time is valuable. YOU should get paid for it!

It's not about being nice. It's about providers finally stepping up and saying, "Hey, you know what? What I do is IMPORTANT work and I DESERVE to be paid fairly just like anyone else".

We have this misconceived notion that because we are caregivers we must come last. We need to get out of this mindset.
nannyde 05:44 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
Well of course you should charge them! Would any employee at a job work an extra 15 minutes and not expect to get paid????

You have to make it worthwhile to you and a deterrent to them so it doesn't become something they think they can do often and for free.

You should be charging then at least $10 for every 15 minutes they are late. And the reason I say at least $10 (mine is $15 or a dollar a minute) is because if your fees for all kids were considered you probably make around $15-20 an hour. So, at time and a half that would be between $23 and 30 an hour.

Don't do it for less.
I agree and it shouldn't be a big deal. They wouldn't want to work an extra hour and fifteen minutes of overtime without getting a chunk of change for it. I say 10 bucks a day would be fair. They have to pay for all of your slots at time and a half to have you stay open. Once you tell them the fee he will suddenly be able to make it.

There scheduling problem now becomes money for you guys to go out and have some family fun.
DanceMom 05:58 AM 08-06-2010
Thank you for the reminder ! That needs to be beat into my head !!!

As time goes on..I have realized , unfortunately with most of the parents I have, that they do not care about me...they do not care what their child does all day....I have parents barely even saying goodbye when they drop off and when they pick up if the kid hugs them they say they are being to clingy..also have parents asking me to keep their kids up for naps so they go to bed at 7 - so what you can spend an hour a day with them??

ahhh...so many other issues and irritations that dont belong in THIS thread that I need therapy on haha....
nannyde 06:12 AM 08-06-2010
We have this misconceived notion that because we are caregivers we must come last. We need to get out of this mindset.
And it's okay to attach real money to real services.

When parents force this stuff on you you have to be fast on your feet and follow it with a question:

"Are you SURE you want to do that because that's going to be REALLY expensive"

That sends a couple of messages:

1) When they TOLD you that being late COULD happen they didn't ask and they didn't ask "how much". It would have been different if they would have brought up the two subjects of "can you do this?" and "how much for this service?"

They are taking the approach of telling you what they need because it has the highest liklihood that you will allow it and allow it for free.

So it's important to follow up with an answer that gives them an out (are you sure you want to do that?) and brings up the money (that will be very expensive). You are implying that you WILL do it but if you do they WILL pay dearly. By doing this you are bringing up what they failed to bring up in the statement.

Remember too that them being late isn't something that is happening TOO them it's something they are DOING. They are wanting to NOT bother the Dad's work by saying they have to leave fifteen minutes every day. They value the DAD'S employment enough not to ask for that.

I appreciate that they don't want to bother the Dad's employment but I find it rediculous that they don't have any problem bothering YOUR employment and expecting you to HAVE to do it and do it for free.

We only have this happen if they have the idea in their heads that they CAN approach us this way. If they use that kind of technique they have the highest liklihood of a free YES.

You can respond to it in a nice way ... give them the YES they want... but attach a fee to it that gives YOU a big YES.
professionalmom 07:43 AM 08-06-2010
The bolded part...yep, that would really tick me off.

But Heather...it's about your WORTH. YOU are worthy of being paid for your time. You spend ALL day, many times much longer hours than the average worker caring for the well being of the most precious segment of the population. YOUR time is valuable. YOU should get paid for it!

It's not about being nice. It's about providers finally stepping up and saying, "Hey, you know what? What I do is IMPORTANT work and I DESERVE to be paid fairly just like anyone else".

GO JUDY!!!! Daycare providers need to stand up, united, and demand respect for the job you are doing! Even in my DHS orientation, the trainer mentioned that we ARE raising the next generation (but don't tell the parents that). After all, when you are the person spend 75 - 90% of the child's WAKING hours with them, 5 days a week, you are raising them - loving them, guiding them, teaching them, mothering them, etc. That doesn't negate the fact that the parents are the true parents. It's "parenting for hire" in my book. I never minded that I was "raising" these children. What I minded was the lack of respect, like I was their family servant, slave, or dog. Oh, how the TELLING and DEMANDING got under my skin.

But daycare providers will NEVER get the respect we deserve until WE DEMAND it. And there is NOTHING wrong with saying, "excuse me. If you need additional services, outside the agreements we have in our contract, you owe me the respect of ASKING."
DanceMom 09:30 AM 08-06-2010
Just emailed her to let her know that anything from 5-15 minutes late will be an extra $5.oo woopi doo but it is SOMETHING - will start out little as my contract is steep with $5.00 per minute late.

I havent heard back yet - this one likes to challenge me..I could see her saying things like

"What about when I pick up early for appointments - why do I not get a refund for those hours" ?

Or " I already pay you more than the daycares in your area - a few minutes late and your going to charge me even more" ?

Or " When you close early why don't I get a refund on those hours"

I can just see her debate me on the fee....any suggestions on handling it if she does ?
Because if she does challenge me I might just have her come and pick her kid because Im not dealing with the BS.
Crystal 09:35 AM 08-06-2010
if she challenges you, it's simple. "My policies are non-negotiable. You have signed a contract agreeing to abide by those policies, " if she continues "you are welcome to find alternative care for your child if you do not agree with my policies"
nannyde 10:05 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by Heather:
Just emailed her to let her know that anything from 5-15 minutes late will be an extra $5.oo woopi doo but it is SOMETHING - will start out little as my contract is steep with $5.00 per minute late.

I havent heard back yet - this one likes to challenge me..I could see her saying things like

"What about when I pick up early for appointments - why do I not get a refund for those hours" ?

Or " I already pay you more than the daycares in your area - a few minutes late and your going to charge me even more" ?

Or " When you close early why don't I get a refund on those hours"

I can just see her debate me on the fee....any suggestions on handling it if she does ?
Because if she does challenge me I might just have her come and pick her kid because Im not dealing with the BS.
"What about when I pick up early for appointments - why do I not get a refund for those hours" ? Yes you pay for the slot.

Or " I already pay you more than the daycares in your area - a few minutes late and your going to charge me even more" ? I know. I'm one of the most expensive day care's in town.

Or " When you close early why don't I get a refund on those hours" That one I can't help you with. If I ask parents to pick up early I offer them a deal to do it. If I take two hours I offer two hours of service. Most bank it and then ask me for it back in situations like this. That RARELY happens though. Maybe once every three or four years I will ask for a Friday early out.
DanceMom 10:05 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
if she challenges you, it's simple. "My policies are non-negotiable. You have signed a contract agreeing to abide by those policies, " if she continues "you are welcome to find alternative care for your child if you do not agree with my policies"

Good words - have to find professional terms/statements like this .

she replied and said completely understandable Phew !
Tags:late fee
Reply Up