Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Serve PB&J?
littlemommy 07:26 AM 10-21-2011
I was just thinking back to high school lunch. We had the option of the regular meal for the day, or we could substitute PB&J (on white bread) or a salad.
Maddy'sMommy 07:30 AM 10-21-2011
I don't, but all my kids are young so they have never had peanut butter before. I would if I had older kids (without allergies). Nothing wrong with a sandwich now and again. Although, we don't ever have white bread in the house, so it would have to be on the oat bread we have.

I love white bread though! lol. It's my secret treat on the week-end. hehe.
sharlan 07:30 AM 10-21-2011
I make PB&J about once a month. Sometimes I get a craving for it, so that's just what the kids get.

Before the sugar police get in an uproar, I use no sugar added jam and servie it with carrots and apples.
MsMe 07:33 AM 10-21-2011
We are peanut free.

We have sandwiches on picnic days (even in the winter-carpet picnic)

I never serve an alt lunch option.
Maddy'sMommy 07:35 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Before the sugar police get in an uproar, I use no sugar added jam and servie it with carrots and apples.
haha, sugar police. Love it.
laundrymom 07:35 AM 10-21-2011
I do Pb on wheat. No jelly.
littlemommy 07:36 AM 10-21-2011
I'm really craving one right now. If I had oatmeal I would go make a fresh loaf of honey oat bread and we'd have them for snack!
youretooloud 07:36 AM 10-21-2011
I do. None of my kids have a peanut allergy, and I don't feel bad about PBJ. We serve it about once every week or so.
nannyde 07:59 AM 10-21-2011
No

I don't do sandwhiches very often. Sometimes if the kids need extra calories and I'm trying to bulk them up a bit I will put some peanut butter on home made fruit bread.

I don't serve sandwhiches as lunch. It would just be for special, party, or a second snack when I want them to eat a bit more.

Nothing against peanut butter sandwhiches though. My kid eats them all the time.
Meyou 08:12 AM 10-21-2011
Mmmmmm...pb & j. My favorite. I eat it at least once a day with my mama's homemade strawberry freezer jam.

I give the kids PB on 9 grain bread.
wdmmom 08:18 AM 10-21-2011
I don't cook on Fridays. Usually it's leftovers or sandwiches of some kind. Peanut butter about once a month. All but one of my kids loves it.
godiva83 08:20 AM 10-21-2011
I adore PB&J but am a nutt free centre well maybe not Nutt free as my kiddies are totally Nuts
sharlan 08:21 AM 10-21-2011
Can anyone guess what I just ate for breakfast???? Not the oatmeal and blueberries that I planned.
small_steps 08:39 AM 10-21-2011
I do serve pb&j once and sometimes twice a month. The kiddos love it. Its one of the few meals when my daycare kids actually clear their plate. I usually serve with a fruit and carrot sticks. I haven't had any peanut allergies since I started my home daycare. When I was working in a center we didn't have any peanut butter allowed because of allergies.
Zoe 08:41 AM 10-21-2011
LOVE me some PB&J! My kids aren't jelly fans though so I make them peanut butter on wheat bread. I rotate it along with my other meals so they get it once a month. Ironically, today is PB day!
MsMe 08:46 AM 10-21-2011
I should add I adore Soy Butter, but Walmart stopped makign my favorite kind
melskids 08:51 AM 10-21-2011
i do, every once in a blue moon when i just dont feel like cooking, or sometimes for pm snack.

i will use jelly or jam, but most times i just blend up over ripe fruit and spread it on. the kiddos dont know the difference.

i also take a biscuit cutter, or a glass and cut the sammies into circles for an extra treat.
godiva83 08:51 AM 10-21-2011
What about PB& banana YUMmmmmm

I am craving both now on white processed bread- heaven lol
graham.shellbell 09:15 AM 10-21-2011
I do every other week on Goldfish bread...my kiddos love it!
erinalexmom 09:21 AM 10-21-2011
I LOVE peanut butter! I eat it all the time especially as an alternative to sweets. But sadly one of my kids has a severe peanut allergy so no PB to daycare kids I said from the start if he cant have it noone can. (at least during daycare hours)
littlemommy 09:26 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by graham.shellbell:
I do every other week on Goldfish bread...my kiddos love it!
What is Goldfish bread?
permanentvacation 09:35 AM 10-21-2011
I have never served pb&j to my daycare kids! Wow! 20 years and never given a daycare kid a pbj! Sounds just unamerican! But, it's an extremely messy sandwich for kids under 4 yrs. old and to count on the food program, I'd have to put a buttload of peanut butter on each sandwich! The jelly would not count at all with the food program. So, nope, never served one to a daycare kid!
melskids 09:42 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I have never served pb&j to my daycare kids! Wow! 20 years and never given a daycare kid a pbj! Sounds just unamerican! But, it's an extremely messy sandwich for kids under 4 yrs. old and to count on the food program, I'd have to put a buttload of peanut butter on each sandwich! The jelly would not count at all with the food program. So, nope, never served one to a daycare kid!
I only put a THIN layer of peanut butter (and jelly). I'll usually serve a fresh fruit, a veggie, and another meat alt. with it. (like a cheese stick or yogurt) then it counts on our FP!
GrannyJ 10:19 AM 10-21-2011
Our food program wont allow pb except for snack. So I fix my kids a nice healthy lunch, put them down for nap then I go sit down and have a pb&j and a glass of milk!
blueclouds29 10:22 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I do. None of my kids have a peanut allergy, and I don't feel bad about PBJ. We serve it about once every week or so.
same here
permanentvacation 10:46 AM 10-21-2011
Melskids, yeah, but since some of the components of the pbj don't count, I don't see the point of serving it. Plus, I really try to keep them away from messy foods.
mismatchedsocks 10:49 AM 10-21-2011
I serve it here, usually with string cheese, yogurt, fruit and a raw veggie. Its my " i dont want to cook, meal" Usually once or twice a month.
snbauser 10:50 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I do the same as mel does. The bread counts as the grain and we serve cheese sticks with them for the protein along with a fruit and vegie and milk. The kids love them. We serve them once every two or three weeks.
Heidi 11:06 AM 10-21-2011
uhhh...recipe? please?
WImom 11:07 AM 10-21-2011
One child with Peanut allergy here but I do serve Soynut Butter and Fruit Spread on Whole Wheat Bread for lunch about once every two weeks. They all love soynut butter!

Side note we use it for anything that calls for peanut butter in a receipe for daycare.

I just served Turkey and cheese on goldfish bread yesterday - they thought that was neat. (it's made my pepperidge farm and is in the bread isle)
hoopinglady 11:25 AM 10-21-2011
Not often for lunch, but it is a frequent snack...mostly just peanut butter bread though. Or, if the kids demolish their lunch and are still hungry I will give pb bread to supplement.
hoopinglady 02:03 PM 10-21-2011
I should add that one dcb, age 3 sings the godforesaken peanut butter jelly time song from Family Guy every time we have it. every. single. time.
Tags:peanut butter, peanut butter & jelly
Reply Up