Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Health Insurance
safechner 11:16 AM 02-24-2010
I have worked 8 years doing daycare in my home and this is my fourth parent asked me to write a letter stating how much they pay for childcare per child that includes my address, name, and phone number. I don't understand why they need it for health insurance for their kids? What are they going to do about it?
booroo 11:18 AM 02-24-2010
Well they are probably applying for Chip(childrens health insurpance plan), each state has a program. Each state has different guidlines for approval.
safechner 11:43 AM 02-24-2010
How can they get chip insurance for their kids? Both of them have jobs then why can't they get through employee benefits?
gbcc 11:50 AM 02-24-2010
Many times employee benefits are hundreds of dollars per month. CHP is free to $15 per month depending on your income. In my state, no child can be turned down but the more you make the higher the monthly premium, which is still cheaper then through an employee.

Daycare cost are deductable when applying. It helps proove they need the insurance because they spend so much money in other areas. The more they spend in other areas, the less they pay monthly.
emosks 12:54 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
How can they get chip insurance for their kids? Both of them have jobs then why can't they get through employee benefits?
Just because they are working doesn't mean they have insurance or even the offer of insurance from their job. When son was in daycare I worked for a self employed man and health benefits were not offered to me.
booroo 02:33 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Many times employee benefits are hundreds of dollars per month. CHP is free to $15 per month depending on your income. In my state, no child can be turned down but the more you make the higher the monthly premium, which is still cheaper then through an employee.

Daycare cost are deductable when applying. It helps proove they need the insurance because they spend so much money in other areas. The more they spend in other areas, the less they pay monthly.
This is correct and each state is different on cost and such. This is a great program. We have our kids on it. Our monthly health insurnace is $400 a month for just husband and I and our deductible is $3,000 for each of us. Now if we put the kids on it, it will be over $800 for the same deductible for all 6 of us. UMMMMMM I dont know about any of you, but I cant afford that. If we got a a low deductible the cost is to high to even bother with.

Please keep in mind that this is NOT MEDICAID!!!! It is a health insurnace program, there is still Medicaid.

Some states do have an income guidline, like MT(lived before we moved to NE), was $36,000 for a family of 6. NE is $54,000 for a family of 6. IF you make under this amount your kids are on with no premium cost and low deductible. If you make more than that, your children can still be on it, for a premium amount montly, and then a deductible no more than $250 for all the kids.
safechner 07:40 PM 02-24-2010
Very interesting!

I can understand that most families need to get a health insurance plan for the kids. I found more information about Chip Medicaid in Texas and it is better than nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't get chip medicaid (I know I cant since we make so much money) because some of them are not covered like my friend complained about this all the time when she needs vent to me. Now I get it. I thought employee benefits are better than Chip medicaid but I may be wrong. We pay $216 a month through my husband's job and it is PPO. It seems not that bad to us but I know every companies are different benefits. Thanks for explaining to me!
momofboys 08:45 AM 02-25-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
I have worked 8 years doing daycare in my home and this is my fourth parent asked me to write a letter stating how much they pay for childcare per child that includes my address, name, and phone number. I don't understand why they need it for health insurance for their kids? What are they going to do about it?

Could they need it for flexible spending childcare accounts? When I worked outside of the home I needed to submit receipts to my husband's health ins provider showing that we were paying X amount per week to our childcare procider. IT is a BIG savings because then those dollars are considered TAX FREE to the parents. It was a savings through ur health ins provider
TGT09 10:21 AM 02-25-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Could they need it for flexible spending childcare accounts? When I worked outside of the home I needed to submit receipts to my husband's health ins provider showing that we were paying X amount per week to our childcare procider. IT is a BIG savings because then those dollars are considered TAX FREE to the parents. It was a savings through ur health ins provider
This is what I was going to say. I used to work for a company and we administered the FSA's....there is a spending account for daycare only. DCSA (dependent care spending account). The employee can contribute to it out of every paycheck and then they just have to turn in receipts or invoices to get reimbursed. It has to do with being on a pre-tax basis...so they don't have to pay taxes on childcare. It is administered by the employer's insurance company so they may just lump it together with that when they tell you.
Tags:health insurance, insurance
Reply Up