Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Send dcg home?
mountainside13 07:10 AM 11-24-2014
Dcg 6.5 months was diagnosed with influenza on Friday. She was fine on Thursday and didn't come at all on Friday. I talked to the parents last night and she had a fever Saturday afternoon but fine since then. At drop off today dad said she isn't sleeping because of the stuffed up nose so she might cry all day. I told them if she's too fussy they will have to pick her up. She isn't too fussy yet but I'm starting to wonder if they dosed and dropped her. She looked healthy at drop off but she's starting to look really sick. Puffy eyes, unusual cry and pale. Would you send her home? I'm really on the fence, I don't want to be sick for Thansgiving but I also don't want to send her home for no reason.
KDC 07:37 AM 11-24-2014
I don't like making these decisions either. If I had a light day and could keep the kids separated for the most part, and the kid is borderline then I typically try to make it work. However, they chose to have a child and know children get sick. Having their problem become your problem isn't the answer. The child might have looked good in the morning, then started not feeling good. They could not understand tylenol/motrin will mask the symptoms. Or, they could drug and drop (not cool!)

Here's a good link with guidelines. I think if she's pale, not eating and overall still showing signs of sickness she should be sent home. Flu is not something you want to mess with.

http://www.healthline.com/health/col...ool-sickdays#1
mountainside13 07:48 AM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
I don't like making these decisions either. If I had a light day and could keep the kids separated for the most part, and the kid is borderline then I typically try to make it work. However, they chose to have a child and know children get sick. Having their problem become your problem isn't the answer. The child might have looked good in the morning, then started not feeling good. They could not understand tylenol/motrin will mask the symptoms. Or, they could drug and drop (not cool!)

Here's a good link with guidelines. I think if she's pale, not eating and overall still showing signs of sickness she should be sent home. Flu is not something you want to mess with.

http://www.healthline.com/health/col...ool-sickdays#1
Thank you! I have two 2 year olds, two 1 year olds and the 6.5 month old. So really not a light day. Lol. I decided to call mom. She started wheezing and that makes me very uncomfortable keeping her here.
sugar buzz 07:59 AM 11-24-2014
I think that you made the right decision. Sometimes, when you start to feel better, you're still not quite ready for the daily grind. (Says the mom of a flu-diagnosed third-grader, who stayed home one more day, today.)
Laurel 09:16 AM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Dcg 6.5 months was diagnosed with influenza on Friday. She was fine on Thursday and didn't come at all on Friday. I talked to the parents last night and she had a fever Saturday afternoon but fine since then. At drop off today dad said she isn't sleeping because of the stuffed up nose so she might cry all day. I told them if she's too fussy they will have to pick her up. She isn't too fussy yet but I'm starting to wonder if they dosed and dropped her. She looked healthy at drop off but she's starting to look really sick. Puffy eyes, unusual cry and pale. Would you send her home? I'm really on the fence, I don't want to be sick for Thansgiving but I also don't want to send her home for no reason.
I'm glad you sent her home. At that young age I'd err on the side of sending her home...always. That is so tiny. She needs to be with her parents.

Laurel
finsup 09:57 AM 11-24-2014
My daughter is the same age, and I have a dcb just a little older then that. I would have done the same thing and sent her home. It IS borderline, but being so little...they need quiet, rest, and most of all, MOM. If it were my child, I would really hope a provider would call me and let me know. Granted dcb's family (well dad) would be annoyed but that's their issue Plus with that many other very young ones, it's really hard to give a sick child the attention that they need.
Reply Up