Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Party Today...
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:43 AM 11-26-2014
3 of my 7 DCFS told their kids we were having a party today and it was Movie Friday (we only watch TV on Friday). Nope. I have never had a Thanksgiving Party (like it's V-day, Halloween, etc.) and made no noise like that would be the gist of things today. I have a regular day planned. I had to squash their joy that it was not going to be a crazy fun off-schedule day. And now I feel like I am not doing enough if that was the expectation. Is anyone else here having a party today?!
Unregistered 07:52 AM 11-26-2014
...next the kids are going to expect presents for Thanksgiving too... :eye roll:

I would go about my day as usual and be half tempted to tell the kids they are all going to get ice cream and candy when their parents pick them up after daycare! LOL!
lovemykidstoo 08:13 AM 11-26-2014
A Thanksgiving Party? Oh brother. I mean, fine if anyone wants to do it, but really the parents told their kids that? Tell those kids 5 minutes before their parents come that mom said they're going to McDonald's tonight!!

I wanted to get a couple of things done, so we're having pajama day and watching the movie Frozen.
daycare 08:38 AM 11-26-2014
we will have a thanksgiving feast. We have been learning about the first thanksgiving and all parents were asked to bring one of the items that they ate on the first thanksgiving.

we will dress up like either pilgrims or wampanoags. We made hats, vets, and head-dress. We will dress up and enjoy a feat as friends.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:43 AM 11-26-2014
Okay, good. I'm not the only one. That's how I felt when the first one said it. Felt like giving them a big smile and saying right then in front of the DCMs, "That's right! And then Mommy has an Amazing Pizza Machine surprise for you tonight!" Tit for tat.
Annalee 08:56 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
...next the kids are going to expect presents for Thanksgiving too... :eye roll:

I would go about my day as usual and be half tempted to tell the kids they are all going to get ice cream and candy when their parents pick them up after daycare! LOL!
AND THEN YOUR PARENTS WILL BE TAKING YOU TO THE THEATER TO WATCH A MOVIE ON THE BIG SCREEN!
TheGoodLife 09:11 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Okay, good. I'm not the only one. That's how I felt when the first one said it. Felt like giving them a big smile and saying right then in front of the DCMs, "That's right! And then Mommy has an Amazing Pizza Machine surprise for you tonight!" Tit for tat.
Amazing Pizza Machine- you must be here in Omaha Boo for those parents, I like your idea, though!
finsup 09:20 AM 11-26-2014
Oh I would not be impressed! I think I'd tell each parent that said that something along the lines of "please do not tell your children we will have a party here when I have not planned anything. dck was SO disappointed and bummed today, it was really sad to see them so let down. Especially when they should be looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving with their FAMILY tomorrow."
If people want to have a Thanksgiving party, then great! No problem there (here we just made a turkey craft and called it good lol) but there's nothing wrong with just having a normal day either!
Sugar Magnolia 09:56 AM 11-26-2014
We had a Decorate For Christmas party. It was tons of fun! We did turkey crafts too.
Daycare-Love the feast idea and dress up. How cute!
melilley 10:16 AM 11-26-2014
We didn't have a party, but did have a pj and movie day.
I love the feast idea, but I only have 4, including my ds and one dcb barely eats, and the other three don't eat that much so it's not worth going through all of that.
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 11-26-2014
I was having a party. Planned for weeks.

Decorated the room, prepared the crafts, meal and treats, then woke up early to set up. I waited over two hours for kids arrival , then my cell phone blew up with simultaneous texts. Nobody is coming today.

I just finished packing up all my Fall stuff, decorated the playroom for Winter and shut it down for the week.

Now, Sugar cookies are in the oven, hulu is fired up... just waiting on my DH and kids to get back from the grocery store and checking in, here... I have had worse days.

I have thrown my last Thanksgiving party, though...
midaycare 10:30 AM 11-26-2014
No party. Mine are too young to really get it. And I'm glad I didn't go to the trouble. 2 ended up sick, so it would have been a party for my 4 youngest.
CraftyMom 10:40 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
we will have a thanksgiving feast. We have been learning about the first thanksgiving and all parents were asked to bring one of the items that they ate on the first thanksgiving.

we will dress up like either pilgrims or wampanoags. We made hats, vets, and head-dress. We will dress up and enjoy a feat as friends.
I like this idea for next year! The kids made books about the story of Thanksgiving (coloring pages that we glued on construction paper and stapled together, with a narration on each page). Wearing hats or Indian feathers would have gone well with their books! Making a mental note for next year

We did a craft and had our version of Thanksgiving dinner (kid style).

We got our first accumulated snowfall today so everyone was excited and we played in the snow.

I also got the texts yesterday that a couple weren't coming, so it was an easier day

Not an actual party, but I had planned on having a laid back day and watch a movie. We played in the snow instead, maybe a movie after nap, we'll see.
Unregistered 10:41 AM 11-26-2014
Back in the olden days my large group would get together with two other large group child cares on "Thanksgiving Wednesday" and do the whole Thanksgiving dinner for several dozen children. Trudging a couple of blocks through the snow carrying side dishes, tons of fun.

Now they don't allow us to gather. Whoever hosted would be "over license capacity."

<eyeroll>
CraftyMom 10:57 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Back in the olden days my large group would get together with two other large group child cares on "Thanksgiving Wednesday" and do the whole Thanksgiving dinner for several dozen children. Trudging a couple of blocks through the snow carrying side dishes, tons of fun.

Now they don't allow us to gather. Whoever hosted would be "over license capacity."

<eyeroll>
That sounds like fun though! But yeah, it would put someone way over capacity.
Neekie 12:26 PM 11-26-2014
Not a party really. I usually read a book called "Over the River and Through the Woods"...you know that song and the next phrase is "to grandmother's house we go". And then we sing the song. This year I have a new play carpet with roads on it and some new, way cool, wooden village buildings and so I set up a village that we had to go though with our plastic horses and sleighs to get to the woods to go to grandma's house. Then usually I let the kids make a pretend meal in the play kitchen while I cook a real meal, but this year I didn't make a meal because all my kids were sick except for one and she is on a special diet and brings her own food from home.
SignMeUp 02:27 PM 11-26-2014
I also read "Over the River and Through the Wood" and this year with all of our snow, it fit so well
I pick out six verses for the preschoolers to learn and they are so cute especially when they use their 'grandma' voices to say, "Oh dear, the children are here! Bring a pie for everyone!" They sang it to my food program rep and she thought they were pretty adorable.
(She also said that at her last house, the kids sang an inappropriate Thanksgiving song -- I sure do wonder what that song is )
I really love for my kids to appreciate the heart of the holiday - thankfulness, family, love. No greater gift
Neekie 09:37 PM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I also read "Over the River and Through the Wood" and this year with all of our snow, it fit so well
I pick out six verses for the preschoolers to learn and they are so cute especially when they use their 'grandma' voices to say, "Oh dear, the children are here! Bring a pie for everyone!" They sang it to my food program rep and she thought they were pretty adorable.
(She also said that at her last house, the kids sang an inappropriate Thanksgiving song -- I sure do wonder what that song is )
I really love for my kids to appreciate the heart of the holiday - thankfulness, family, love. No greater gift
Cute! I love when kids do things like that.
Reply Up