Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screamer
WAHMderful_Life 09:08 AM 11-27-2014
Ok so I am dealing with a screamer as in if he doesnt get his way he screams and if he has to take a time out he will persistently scream until he gets his way/gets out of time out which in turn teaches him nothing, if he doesn't calm down before going back to play. Aside from a child being a biter/pusher/or hitter I find this to be the absolute worst issue to deal with. Screaming makes the environment high tension/stressful for adults and children.

So my question is if you have dealt with this how did you teach the child that screaming will not be tolerated? Im thinking talking to mom and having her on the same page will be part of it but im not even sure how to get this little one to understand the behaviour he is displaying needs to stop.
Heidi 07:09 PM 11-27-2014
Calming spot...

When the child screams to get his way, you say "that hurts my ears. If you need to yell, I will show you where you can yell".

Take hand, lead to a far away spot. It can be a comfy space, and there should be no shaming. Just sit them down, and say "when you are done yelling, you can come back and play".

Depending on child's age, you may have to take him back a few times. "Nope, THIS is where we yell. Come back when you're done".

I've done it with children as young as 14/15 months. Eventually, you only need to point to the spot and they usually stop.

The idea is to give the message that while they are entitled to their feelings, they are NOT entitled to ruin everyone else's ears. Getting up when THEY are ready (vs a certain time set by the adult) teaches self-regulation.

Of course, if someone is crying in pain or because someone was mean, you comfort and help them verbalize those feelings.
ColorfulSunburst 06:41 AM 11-28-2014
I had a girl who tried to get what she wants by screaming. My actions:
1. don't allow her to do what she wanted
2. told her that I will speak with her only when she stop screaming
3. started to ignore her
4. Then in front of her I started with other children an activity that she liked and I didn't allow her to join us till she stopped screaming and had done what she refused to do before she started screaming.
All that took around 20 minutes till she stop screaming and extra 5 minutes till she done what I asked her.
5. Then I allowed her to join us.
6. After the activity I said her that her screaming will not work here. Never.
This was the first and the last time when she scream in front of me.
She was 3 y.o. and a very strong-willed girl.
Unregistered 09:26 AM 12-02-2014
Screaming in the house is against the rules here. Being upset, crying is fine but screaming is not. If they can't take a time out calmly then I have them take a nap. If it continues and the child will not listen then a phone call to the parents would be in order. Children need to respect my rules to come to my daycare.
Unregistered 10:58 AM 12-02-2014
Don't you know it's just their personality type. That's what a dcm told me when I told her she need to work with her almost 2 year old on his screaming and being scared of strangers. He screams all the time especially if I don't let him carry his blanket around and suck his thumb. He's going to be 2 next month but he acts more like a 12-18 month old. Mom still rocks him to sleep. I can't take much more of his screaming at the top of his lungs every day! Personality type my ass!
Reply Up