Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips for Managing Toddlers with Preschoolers
Shawn 03:58 PM 11-30-2016
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could share tips on how to manage a group with ages 1 - 6 years old. Before I only cared for children under 4 years old. I recently switched to 2 1/2 - 6 years old. Works better for me because I love teaching early childhood and preparing the kids for kindergarten. And my patience is getting thin. Things were going great until I was quilt tripped into taking a 1 year old who makes everything very challenging.

I want to place the preschoolers in our learning centers but it makes it hard when the 1 year old is ripping markers from the hands of those setting at the writing table or even having learning posters down low where she tears them off the walls. And story time is non- existent because she climbs up in my lap and pulls on the book or stands in front of the group and dances around.

I feel so bad for my older children because the little one keeps us from actually doing "big" kid stuff. If I put her in a gated spot away from the group, she cries. They really miss our learning time. I'm afraid that the parents will want to pull them out if I can't work with them soon.

I really need help trying to figure this out. If not, I have to let her go. But I can say this, she WILL be my last child I enroll under the age of 2.

Thanks in advance.
childcaremom 04:48 PM 11-30-2016
When I had a mixed age group like that I created separate areas. I had one big area that was safe for all ages. Then a separate smaller area for the older ones. It worked great for me but I didn't do an overly structured program. I was also able to do the same outside.

If it is that disruptive to your group and your objectives (and it sounds like it is), maybe it's just not a good fit and time for her to move on. No shame in sticking to what you love and it is great to be able to recognize what you can't/don't want to/won't deal with on a daily basis.
daycare 05:22 PM 11-30-2016
I have preschool and toddlers. I paired them up. Older with a younger. My preschoolers are told they are teachers, brilliant teachers to their young friends. Oh boy do they run with it.

They care for them in a lovely way. Help them wash hands, put on jackets, shoes, writethwir names and so on.

My preschoolers love their little friends and they play so well together.

I do have my space set up with one room for all and one room for preschoolers only. I give them each their space to play with children of their choice, mostly it ends up being all of the preschoolers in one group and toddlers in the other group/room.

Pairing them up like this has really advanced my littles and my older ones have become more self sufficient, more sympathetic and empathetic towards younger children. It's beautiful to watch.
Blackcat31 06:41 PM 11-30-2016
If you don't normally care for kids that young, I'd term.

The other kids are miserable and unable to appropriately engage in your environment.

You are stressed because it's affecting your routine and everyone's behaviors.

You are feeling guilty for being guilted into this so it's clouding your vision but ONE child is doing ALL of that ^^^

I'd term. Nothing personal to the toddler or the family.
It's group care so I have to do what's best for the group.
Shawn 08:49 PM 11-30-2016
Thank you for your advise.

I do agree that this one year old is causing stress to our day. Not to mention that she comes with a 3 1/2 year old nephew. (Yes grandma had a baby.) This 3 year old tends to be a handful as well. Mainly due to being hungry for attention. He is very annoying to everyone as long as his baby aunt is present. So I'm hoping the mother of the 1 year old with pullout because the 3 year old's mom just became angry about a scratch on her son's face. She said this was his last day. (Thank you Jesus!)

But even if she doesn't, I will have to let her know that I won't be renewing her contract for the new year. I'm sure she will think it is because of the grandson. But whatever, at this point.
Ariana 12:38 AM 12-01-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
When I had a mixed age group like that I created separate areas. I had one big area that was safe for all ages. Then a separate smaller area for the older ones. It worked great for me but I didn't do an overly structured program. I was also able to do the same outside.

If it is that disruptive to your group and your objectives (and it sounds like it is), maybe it's just not a good fit and time for her to move on. No shame in sticking to what you love and it is great to be able to recognize what you can't/don't want to/won't deal with on a daily basis.
Agree with this and it is what I have done as well. The infant was my own daughter so I used book cases to seperate a smaller space for the older kids that only they knew how to get into (remove a bin, crawl through and replace bin!). The older kids called it their secret hideout. It was where they went to do things that the baby couldn't be around. The larger area had lots of fun things to play with so I never had issues with the baby wanting to get in the smaller space.
Reply Up