Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Term on My Terms, or Wait?
Miss A 10:08 AM 12-01-2016
I have a family who has been struggling to pay for their 1 child in my care for months now. They just recently had a second baby, and DCM is on maternity leave. DCG1 continues to come to daycare, and earlier this week DCM text to ask what the rate will be for both kids, even though she received a new contract. I told her the rate and her response was "oh". I think she was hoping I would cue her a deal, but that is not going to happen. dCM said she needs to talk to DCD and see if they can afford my care. I already know they can't, because they can't budget their money wisely, yet post on FB all the time about the new toys they have bought for themselves.

I want to term. I have a family who wants their 2 spots, who I know would be a good fit because they have been a regular drop in family for as long as I have been open.

I touched base with DCM again today, and she said she brought up the subject of payment DCD, but they didn't make a decision yet. Is it jumping the gun for me to just term? If not, can someone help me with term letter wording, please? Thank you!
daycarediva 10:13 AM 12-01-2016
Do you have a family preference? I would always go with the family that was a better fit and could pay consistently and reliably.

If you WANT to keep this family, I would just ask dcm flat out "Dcm, I completely understand that finances are challenging. Before I offer you two full time spaces, I need to know that this is an affordable option for you. I have a family able to take these spaces, if you can find a provider more cost effective or willing to offer sibling discounts. Please let me know by X what you decide."
Blackcat31 10:13 AM 12-01-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
I have a family who has been struggling to pay for their 1 child in my care for months now. They just recently had a second baby, and DCM is on maternity leave. DCG1 continues to come to daycare, and earlier this week DCM text to ask what the rate will be for both kids, even though she received a new contract. I told her the rate and her response was "oh". I think she was hoping I would cue her a deal, but that is not going to happen. dCM said she needs to talk to DCD and see if they can afford my care. I already know they can't, because they can't budget their money wisely, yet post on FB all the time about the new toys they have bought for themselves.

I want to term. I have a family who wants their 2 spots, who I know would be a good fit because they have been a regular drop in family for as long as I have been open.

I touched base with DCM again today, and she said she brought up the subject of payment DCD, but they didn't make a decision yet. Is it jumping the gun for me to just term? If not, can someone help me with term letter wording, please? Thank you!
Is your infant spot open and available right now?
Miss A 10:18 AM 12-01-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is your infant spot open and available right now?
Yes, it is.
midaycare 10:34 AM 12-01-2016
I would term and replace. She already told you she's not sure she can afford you.
laundrymom 10:41 AM 12-01-2016
I'm guessing this is how the convo will go.
"DCM, have you had time to chat w dad about baby's enrollment?"
Not yet.
"Okay. I know it's a big decision, especially in today's economy. I want to be upfront with you though. I do have other families interested in the spot."
"Ok. I'll let you know"

Call that other family. Get a deposit. And a start date. Then let mom know the infant spot is gone and you're giving notice to other child.
Let them move on.
If you want.
Miss A 10:41 AM 12-01-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I would term and replace. She already told you she's not sure she can afford you.
That is my exact thinking.
Blackcat31 10:43 AM 12-01-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:

This ^

It's not personal. It's business.

You have to watch out for you.
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 12-01-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
I want to term.

That is all the information needed.
Ariana 11:52 AM 12-01-2016
Take this opportunity to term. You have a very legitimate reason for it. Go with the less stress family for your own sake. She is hemming and hawing to get you to cut her a break it is pretty obvious!
Reply Up