Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Rubbing His Head On Others
Unregistered 08:41 AM 12-07-2016
DCB is almost 3 and has been with me for 1.5 years. When he first started he would shake/rub his face on my chest. Mom gave me the heads up at the interview and said she believes it's because he is breastfeeding.

Fast forward to the last 6/8 months and instead he pushes his head into our (mine, assistant and kids) private parts and tries to do it. Either when we are sitting down or standing up, when any of the kids are laying down. Of course we immediately stop him, tell him we don't do that and redirect. We monitor him a lot closer than the others but he still tries a few times a day.

This doesn't seem like normal behavior to me and I figured he would have outgrown it by now but maybe I'm mistaken?
daycarediva 11:05 AM 12-07-2016
Only on private areas? What on earth. I've never heard of such a thing. I have had dck's (especially younger BF kids) 'nuzzle' my chest but nothing like that.
Pestle 11:26 AM 12-07-2016
When standing up--that's just the height his head's at right now, isn't it? I have a 20mo who tries to brace his head on my crotch every time I help him into a new pull-up. We end up doing this little dance while I say, "Not there! Do not touch me in my personal places!"
Unregistered 01:37 PM 12-07-2016
Only on private areas. When standing up we are at head height but since he also does it if we are sitting down it just seems odd. (He will like head butt while sitting and do it. If the other kids are laying down he will run over and do it to them.) It's just starting to feel less like normal behavior and more abnormal. I have talked to mom and he does it at home with mom, Dad and other family members.
Mike 02:47 PM 12-07-2016
I hope I'm wrong, but the first thing I thought was that this could be a sign of abuse. Maybe he's been made to do it with someone else and he thinks that's normal behavior. At his age, he wouldn't know different.
284878 06:44 AM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
I hope I'm wrong, but the first thing I thought was that this could be a sign of abuse. Maybe he's been made to do it with someone else and he thinks that's normal behavior. At his age, he wouldn't know different.
I I thought that too. But I was thinking more on him seeing it done vs. Him being forced to do it. I know that's the case in one of my foster kids, mom and dad were openly engaging in front of the children.
daycarediva 09:44 AM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
I was speculating on this as well.
Mike 07:34 PM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I I thought that too. But I was thinking more on him seeing it done vs. Him being forced to do it. I know that's the case in one of my foster kids, mom and dad were openly engaging in front of the children.
That wouldn't be as bad, but still very inappropriate.

You could try asking questions, but have to be very careful what you ask and how. Questions need to be very open and not leading in any way.
Unregistered 07:01 AM 12-09-2016
I have always wondered that.

I talked to mom again. I did my best to not come off wrong or imply anything. She said it's normal behavior for kids and he will outgrow it. I kindly told her that I've been doing this for almost 10 years and I've never encountered this before. We both need to work together on redirecting him and telling him no. I found out that she doesn't stop the behavior at home, she thinks it's funny. He will do it for a few seconds then run off.
Reply Up