Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sippy Cups
MsKara 05:30 PM 04-20-2010
What is your method to the madness? I've tried putting names on with stickers, but they have to be peeled off before washing or they fall off in the washer. Permanent marker fades in the washer as well. Do you all have a color coding system, or different styles of sippy cups for each child, etc? I need ideas. Thanks!
Former Teacher 05:45 PM 04-20-2010
Try nailpolish
emosks 06:05 PM 04-20-2010
Each of the kids has their own color pretty much. But we do also put a P-Touch label on them and they hold up in the dishwasher for months!!
momma2girls 06:06 PM 04-20-2010
I use colored ones-
tenderhearts 06:26 PM 04-20-2010
I don't have names on my cups, I usually give them a cup the same color as the shirt they are wearing, if 2 kids are wearing blue then I give them a different color, or in summer when I have more kids, I'll just jot it down.
SunflowerMama 06:55 PM 04-20-2010
I color code all sippy cups and dishes/utensils. I use Ikea dishes/utensils and then got straw sippy cups from Wamart and each child has their own color for all their dishes/utensils and cups.
misol 07:00 PM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I color code all sippy cups and dishes/utensils. I use Ikea dishes/utensils and then got straw sippy cups from Wamart and each child has their own color for all their dishes/utensils and cups.
Same here. I love the dishes from IKEA. Very inexpensive plus they were the only plastic dishes I could find that would go in both the dishwasher and the microwave.
originalkat 08:38 PM 04-20-2010
I use color coded sippy cups. They all know their color so I dont have to mess with names. I always leave a water sippy cup out so they have something to drink throughout the day and I dont have to constantly give them a drink. I got tired of the cups laying around so I cut a square (the size of the cup) in each color and contact papered them to a shelf where I keep the water cups. After taking a drink they know to put their cup on their colored square. I use the cheap ones from walmart that they say you can throw away (but I dont). I think they are less than $3.00 for 6 of them.
QualiTcare 10:53 PM 04-20-2010
i don't have individual cups for each child. i assume you are talking about so they don't mix up their cups when they're actually in use?

i only give them cups when they are sitting at the table eating breakfast/lunch/snacks. they don't get mixed up during that time because their cups are right in front of them and babies with cups are like mama bears with cubs - lol.

when we are outside (which is quite a bit) i use disposable plastic cups and write their names on them with a sharpie. i just have a pack of cups and a sharpie that stays outside, and i take a pitcher of water out with me when we go.
Daycare Mommy 02:04 AM 04-21-2010
We just color code. Each child gets the same cup every day.
mac60 03:10 AM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
We just color code. Each child gets the same cup every day.
Same here. They all know their "special cup".
toddletots 04:43 AM 04-21-2010
We've been trying several different methods. Currently we are using the rubber band type bracelets from Oriental Trading and the girls have red and the boys have blue. We put their names on the bracelet with a craft paint pen. We tried the stickers, masking tape, perm. marker, all those, but the dishwasher removes it all. I don't put the bracelets in the dishwasher as it breaks down the rubber.
Unregistered 06:33 AM 04-21-2010
I also dont have an issue with needing names on cups as i dont allow children to have them away from the table at any age, when they want/need a drink of water during the day they ask me or sometimes i use the small water bottles and put their names on them and put them in the fridge, at meals i use the lil plastic cups from walmart, the kids take turns picking what color they want everyday.
Kiddie Care
Crystal 07:13 AM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i don't have individual cups for each child. i assume you are talking about so they don't mix up their cups when they're actually in use?

i only give them cups when they are sitting at the table eating breakfast/lunch/snacks. they don't get mixed up during that time because their cups are right in front of them and babies with cups are like mama bears with cubs - lol.

when we are outside (which is quite a bit) i use disposable plastic cups and write their names on them with a sharpie. i just have a pack of cups and a sharpie that stays outside, and i take a pitcher of water out with me when we go.
I do exactly the same.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 07:49 AM 04-21-2010
I have 7 oz clear plastic "pizza hut "type cups. I have 36 of them. Kids get a new cup each time thery drink.
DBug 08:57 AM 04-21-2010
I do what twinmama and misol do -- Ikea all the way I also use the Nuby sippy cups from Walmart because they come in all the same colours as the Ikea dishes, cutlery and cups. The kids each have their own colour, and they know where to sit at the table by where their colour is. I love it -- and I only use one cup per kid per day, which is very nice.
MarinaVanessa 09:58 AM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
Yup me too. Saves me a lot of time and hassle. Their dishes/utensilsmatch the color on their cubbies. Each cubby has a picture of the child so they don't get mixed up and even the young ones can learn and remember what color they are.

I give them dishes/utencils that I bought from Ikea too for meals and snacks but I also have drinking cups that I bought from Walmart which are more like a sippy cup except they have flip-up top and straw inside that they drink from filled with water. In my DC the littles always water available to them and we keep these cups lined up at the edge of the table. They know they can have some when they want but they can't walk around with them so they put them back on the table when their done drinking.
Crystal 12:34 PM 04-21-2010
I'm wondering, those of you that do color coded cups....do they just have that cup all day, or is it at mealtimes only? I have always wondered why color coding would be any easier, as I only give a cup at meal/snack time at the table, and in between for water while I stand with them at the sink until they are done....so they just get whatever cup comes out of the cupboard....
Daycare Mommy 12:57 PM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I'm wondering, those of you that do color coded cups....do they just have that cup all day, or is it at mealtimes only? I have always wondered why color coding would be any easier, as I only give a cup at meal/snack time at the table, and in between for water while I stand with them at the sink until they are done....so they just get whatever cup comes out of the cupboard....
Mine each have their own cup that they use all day. Each one is a different color/design, so they don't have to decipher any writing or anything. I found that sometimes if they were really thirsty, tired, or distracted (especially the younger ones) they would not bother checking which cup was theirs until I started the color coding. I learned that fast btw! We keep them all on a shelf in the refridgerator. They get their cup from the fridge whenever they need a drink and I pull them from the fridge when setting the table for meals. I taught them to close the fridge while drinking so they don't stand there with the door open or anything. And since it's out of sight it's generally out of mind unless they are genuinely thirsty, so I don't have the fridge door opening and closing every 5 minutes either.
TGT09 06:12 PM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I do what twinmama and misol do -- Ikea all the way I also use the Nuby sippy cups from Walmart because they come in all the same colours as the Ikea dishes, cutlery and cups. The kids each have their own colour, and they know where to sit at the table by where their colour is. I love it -- and I only use one cup per kid per day, which is very nice.
All right all you Ikea fans, your twisting my arm to go check out these colorful dishes! Haha! :-) I need some new ones and I too use the Nuby cups.
DBug 10:02 AM 04-22-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Yep, all day for me. Before the colour-coding, I was washing 20-30 cups every day, because the kids would forget which was theirs and I didn't want them spreading germs by accident. My whole motivation was to cut down on dishes. Right now they're only really drinking at snacks & mealtimes, but as the weather gets warmer, the cups will have water all day (and milk at breakfast & lunch). I do rinse them under hot water when they get all sticky from food-covered fingers, but I only wash them once a day.
Tags:color coded, sippy cup
Reply Up