Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Do It?
misol 04:30 PM 11-10-2010
Would you take a family sight unseen? I have family that made first contact today. I've spoken to Dad about 4 times today and during the course of the conversations he pretty much said that he liked the way I sounded and was excited about starting with me Said he spoke the mom and they want to start two weeks from today because they have to give current provider notice. We scheduled an interview for a week from today. Weird to me that they haven't met me or seen my place or my contract but want to start in 2 weeks. Anyway, he just called again and said that their current provider didn't take kindly to them giving notice, a huge argument took place, and now they need to start immediately. I am closed tomorrow so they are looking to start Friday. They sound very good on paper and the only thing that really sucks is the hours of care that they need. They will be here 3 hours before my first dck normally arrives and the last to get picked up I need the money so I will just have to suck up the horrible schedule.

The sheer urgency and the fact that they would give their current provider notice without even meeting me in person or seeing my home or contract is what really has me concerned. Since I have a 2-week trial period in my contract should I give it a shot? Does this seem fishy to you at all? Has anyone ever done this and how did it work out?
SilverSabre25 04:49 PM 11-10-2010
Since you need the money...yes, probably. It does seem odd but some people are just like that. One of the DCBs that I have now I basically took sight unseen...his mom called me in the morning and scheduled an interview for that evening, and even before interview she had pretty much decided to use me. They started the next day. It has worked out just fine.
sahm1225 04:50 PM 11-10-2010
It does sound a little bit fishy. They haven't met you or been to your place, right? Why cant they come to meet you tomorrow? I know you are closed, but would you be willing to do a meeting/interview.

The only thing that I would worry about is that they know they have a difficult child and that is why they are avoiding having you meet the child before they start..

Or it could be that they have heard about you and want to hurry up and lock up a place before someone else does...

You do have the 2 week clause, so go for it.. Crossing my fingers for you!
sahm1225 04:52 PM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Since you need the money...yes, probably. It does seem odd but some people are just like that. One of the DCBs that I have now I basically took sight unseen...his mom called me in the morning and scheduled an interview for that evening, and even before interview she had pretty much decided to use me. They started the next day. It has worked out just fine.
silversabre makes a good point.... When I had my son in daycare, after our phone conversation with the daycare, I knew that is where I wanted him to be.. I did however go and meet the provider and check out the place before hand.. That is the part that seems weird to me..
Live and Learn 04:57 PM 11-10-2010
I assume that they will fill out paperwork and pay 2 week deposit and pay for the first pay period in advance before they leave lil junior in your care Friday morning.

PREPAY TO STAY & PLAY!
nannyde 06:18 PM 11-10-2010
NO way.

I do three interviews over the course of WEEKS before I allow someone a slot here.

The Interview Process If you are interested in more information regarding A Nurse's Home Day Care please feel free to call us at 515-974-9536. We can begin the pre-interview process over the phone. We will be requesting the following information:

•parents name
•child's name
•child's age
•area of town parents live and work
•hours needed for care
•parents work hours

We require a minimum of three on site interviews for incoming families. This is a time to get to know each other and share information between the family and day care. We will work with our clients to help them understand what services we offer and the policies of the business. We will be happy to offer references after the first face to face interview.

We work very hard to select the right families for admission into the day care. With the exception of having slots available from kids going into kindergarten, we normally have only one opening available per year. These are most often infant openings. We try to spend time with each family to make sure it is a proper fit.

The first interview: We require both parents (unless the client is a single parent) and the children to attend the first interview. We welcome Grandparents and other family members to attend. We do all interviewing at 4:30 p.m.. The first interview is usually about 45 minutes. This is a casual meeting where we share general information

The second interview: Is approximately an hour to an hour and a half. This interview is scheduled within two weeks of the first interview. This is the time we will go through the policies of the day care and ask in depth questions about your child. We attempt to give parents a tentative daily schedule and work out the day to day care of the children. The child must attend. Parents are required to view "Food Inc." before the second interview. If you need assistance with obtaining a copy please ask.

The third interview: The final interview is a chance to tie up any loose ends and answer any questions that the parent or provider might have missed. Payment for the nonrefundable deposit first week of care is due by this time unless the parent is reserving a slot more than two weeks away. In this case the payment would be after the second interview. Again, the child must attend.

Each interview is subject to a $20 fee paid in advance. Any family who is accepted into care at Nan's House will have all interview fees applied to the enrollment fee of $60. Any family/child that is not accepted into care or does not commence care once offered will not be reimbursed any interview fees paid.
caitlin 06:38 PM 11-10-2010
I would be hesitant. I like meeting the parents and kids at least once, not only so I can get to know them but so I can see that they are actually taking an interest in finding the best daycare situation for their child, not just tossing them into whatever daycare has an open spot.
misol 09:09 PM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
It does sound a little bit fishy. They haven't met you or been to your place, right? Why cant they come to meet you tomorrow? I know you are closed, but would you be willing to do a meeting/interview.

The only thing that I would worry about is that they know they have a difficult child and that is why they are avoiding having you meet the child before they start..

Or it could be that they have heard about you and want to hurry up and lock up a place before someone else does...

You do have the 2 week clause, so go for it.. Crossing my fingers for you!
When I called him back I did tell him that I was closed tomorrow but would make myself available for an interview for them. He said yes so we are meeting tomorrow at 6:30pm. He mentioned that the younger of the two kids was pretty easy-going but said nothing of the older one...oh brother! I just hope everything goes well.

[quote=sahm1225;56964]
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Since you need the money...yes, probably. It does seem odd but some people are just like that. One of the DCBs that I have now I basically took sight unseen...his mom called me in the morning and scheduled an interview for that evening, and even before interview she had pretty much decided to use me. They started the next day. It has worked out just fine.[/QUote}]

silversabre makes a good point.... When I had my son in daycare, after our phone conversation with the daycare, I knew that is where I wanted him to be.. I did however go and meet the provider and check out the place before hand.. That is the part that seems weird to me..
OK, this makes me feel a little bit better.

Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I assume that they will fill out paperwork and pay 2 week deposit and pay for the first pay period in advance before they leave lil junior in your care Friday morning.

PREPAY TO STAY & PLAY!
You better believe it!

Originally Posted by nannyde:

I do three interviews over the course of WEEKS before I allow someone a slot here.
I usually do 2 interviews and require the children to be at both. We generally cover everything in the initial interview but I like to have them come back again so that I at least get a second chance to see the parent(s) interacting with the child(ren).

I guess I will have to really rely on my trial period this time. Since it seems they've already burned their daycare bridge, hopefully they will do their best to make this arrangement work.
BentleysBands 04:50 AM 11-11-2010
NO WAY! i do NOT allow any new families into my home until we meet AND meet child...u never know who or what your dealing with. 2wk trial or not. would make me think they truly do NOT care much for the safety of their child to take him/her to a stranger w/o meeting first. i have been in a similar situation and just did an interview on the weekend before Monday and glad i did. the child was a TERROR. good luck
legomom922 06:46 AM 11-11-2010
I wouldnt do it either. I want to meet the people first and the child. They could be drug dealers for all I know...
DCMom 07:37 AM 11-11-2010
I did it one time and I will never do it again. I ended up terminating them and they in turn filed a complaint with licensing; they were a nightmare the whole time they were here and well after.
laundrymom 09:32 AM 11-11-2010
you require them to watch a movie on where food comes from? hmmm,...

Parents are required to view "Food Inc." before the second interview. If you need assistance with obtaining a copy please ask.
SimpleMom 09:56 AM 11-11-2010
no way. I know you need the money, but you want a good family/children that will make a good fit and that will stick around. Goal #1, right? See if they could stop by tonight for a formal interview and possibly do a two week--no strings trial--esp. if you don't see them first.
Hope it turns out well for you .
DancingQueen 10:05 AM 11-11-2010
I don't think I'd be comfortable with it.
juliebug 10:14 AM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:

Parents are required to view "Food Inc." before the second interview. If you need assistance with obtaining a copy please ask.
my same thought?? unless the parents are supposed to supply food.
boysx5 10:26 AM 11-11-2010
sounds like a red flag
MommyMuffin 10:56 AM 11-11-2010
If I needed the money I would do it. I would get payment up front and ask them to arrive early the first day for paper work. You have 2 weeks to say no way. If in the first hour it doesnt feel right, call them back and say this isnt going to work out, come get them. That is what I would do.
It is strange that they would not want to meet the person that they are going to leave their child with! But to each his own. Money is money.
QualiTcare 11:05 AM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by juliebug:
my same thought?? unless the parents are supposed to supply food.
yes, very odd. it's one thing to recommend, but require?
barbaraglover 03:22 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by boysx5:
sounds like a red flag
I agree, I also would not do it unless and untill I get meet child personally
juliebug 06:06 AM 11-12-2010
so how did the interview go??? and are the kids there today?
Lilbutterflie 06:16 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
yes, very odd. it's one thing to recommend, but require?
This is off topic, I'm sorry. I took a look at NannyDe's website, and it makes sense why she wants the parents to watch Food Inc. before her interview. Based on her experience watching this film, she decided to no longer obtain her food from grocery stores and such. Most everything (or everything?) comes from local farms and dairies & is completely organic. She makes everything from scratch from her locally grown organic food. I actually applaud her for that!
QualiTcare 06:24 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
This is off topic, I'm sorry. I took a look at NannyDe's website, and it makes sense why she wants the parents to watch Food Inc. before her interview. Based on her experience watching this film, she decided to no longer obtain her food from grocery stores and such. Most everything (or everything?) comes from local farms and dairies & is completely organic. She makes everything from scratch from her locally grown organic food. I actually applaud her for that!
using organic food is great. i think a provider could just tell me, "i only cook with organic food" instead of forcing me to watch a video because they feel it's touching. same point - less time.
Unregistered 06:43 AM 11-12-2010
using organic food is great. i think a provider could just tell me, "i only cook with organic food" instead of forcing me to watch a video because they feel it's touching. same point - less time.
Yes, she could. But, she doesn't do it that way AND the parent has the choice to agree to her terms or move on to the next provider on the list. What I don't get is why people on this board are getting so up in arms about it? Geesh, no one can FORCE a parent to do anything...any provider can just say this is the way it is here, if that fits with you, GREAT! If not, move along...

I'm starting to think that because some of the providers on this board can't achieve what Nan has clearly accomplished, they've become more than a little bit jealous of the fact that she is able to do this on her terms. Many of us get stuck in that "people pleasing" mode and end up getting taken advanatge of. I guess it makes sense that people might be jealous of the fact that not only is Nan sticking to her guns, she's got a waiting list, while some have spots they can't fill while bending over backwards and singing a show tune!

3kidsmom
nannyde 06:45 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:

Yes and it's met with great enthusiasm. I work for Foodies
nannyde 06:47 AM 11-12-2010
And this is what I'm trying to avoid.
nannyde 06:58 AM 11-12-2010
Purchasing our food locally, directly from the Farmer, in season, grass fed, sustainable, and chemcial free is a HUGE commitment of resources in both time and money. The parents understand this and value it. Food Inc is just one tool I use to help them begin their journey if they haven't already begun it.

We've had two screenings of it here. It's a phenomenal watch and I hope everyone that reads this watches it.
Crystal 07:01 AM 11-12-2010
Misol,

What did you end up deciding to do?
QualiTcare 07:16 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
And this is what I'm trying to avoid.
what is "this"

i would think if a parent wanted to watch it, they would watch it at home on their own time. what is it you're trying to accomplish by making a video about organic food a requirement?
nannyde 07:20 AM 11-12-2010
what is "this"

i would think if a parent wanted to watch it, they would watch it at home on their own time. what is it you're trying to accomplish by making a video about organic food a requirement?
You would have to watch Food Inc to get the answer to that.
QualiTcare 07:23 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes, she could. But, she doesn't do it that way AND the parent has the choice to agree to her terms or move on to the next provider on the list. What I don't get is why people on this board are getting so up in arms about it? Geesh, no one can FORCE a parent to do anything...any provider can just say this is the way it is here, if that fits with you, GREAT! If not, move along...

I'm starting to think that because some of the providers on this board can't achieve what Nan has clearly accomplished, they've become more than a little bit jealous of the fact that she is able to do this on her terms. Many of us get stuck in that "people pleasing" mode and end up getting taken advanatge of. I guess it makes sense that people might be jealous of the fact that not only is Nan sticking to her guns, she's got a waiting list, while some have spots they can't fill while bending over backwards and singing a show tune!

3kidsmom
some people might be jealous. i don't know. i can't imagine why anyone would be, and i'm certainly not. i chose to stop doing childcare several months ago and couldn't be happier.

you can avoid being taken advantage of without treating adults like children.
juliebug 07:17 PM 11-12-2010
i guess i understand more now.

i have watched the video and do love also watched fast food nation that was great too!
misol 12:20 AM 11-13-2010
Originally Posted by juliebug:
so how did the interview go??? and are the kids there today?
Yes, they are here today! Desperate times call for desperate measures so I went against my better judgement. I was closed Thursday but I interviewed them that day anyway. The interview went very well. They came prepared and had almost all of their paperwork ready. They seemed genuinely excited about starting and I left feeling that it might actually work out.

I had gotten used to sleeping in so aside from the fact I had to get up when it while it was still dark out, the day was great - almost too good to be true. Since my family is still asleep when they arrive, I explained to dcg that in the mornings she will have to choose quiet toys until everyone else wakes up (which is about 1/2 hour after they arrive). She followed that rule no problem. The day went well and she adjusted nicely to our schedule. The baby did not cry once the entire day. Both kids napped (only about 45 mins for both) and when the baby woke up she just played in her crib. Both are great eaters too. Parents paid as agreed and picked up on time. Older dcg expressed her sadness at having to go home at pickup but she didn't act out. Wonderful way to end the week.

Thanks for everyone's input. Keep your fingers crossed that things go just as smooth next week and beyond.
DCMomOf3 12:07 PM 11-14-2010
I am glad it went so well. I hope too that next week is just as good!
Live and Learn 03:34 PM 11-14-2010
MISOL:
I am glad that it went well and hope that things continue to go well for you and this family...I guess sometimes it is worth taking a chance.
juliebug 07:02 PM 11-14-2010
i think that is great it worked out so far! yeah for good kids!
Tags:new family, wwyd
Reply Up