Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inclement Weather Policy
MissAnn 04:53 AM 12-02-2016
Who closes or delays when local schools close or delays for inclement weather?

I just recently made this policy. It went over well with 6 out of 7 parents. A few days ago we had a delay. We had tornados watches all night, flooding, trees down and high winds. It was the first time since making this policy.....and 3 kids showed up. I posted on my FB page a reminder and I also said that next time I will send out a text. That one mom....who argued when I first made the policy......wrote a comment....for just rain??????? Oh goodness! One dad had to have his truck towed because he drove through high water, 1 mom had to take an alternate route because of downed trees.....and a grandma also had to take an alternate route...the grandma is the mom of the complainer.

Anyway.....Although it's for their own safety....for me there is another reason why I implemented this policy,....I don't not want "spend the nighters", and I don't want just one kid to show up.

What is your policy? I know in this area most daycares have this policy.
Annalee 04:59 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:

I just recently made this policy. It went over well with 6 out of 7 parents. A few days ago we had a delay. We had tornados watches all night, flooding, trees down and high winds. It was the first time since making this policy.....and 3 kids showed up. I posted on my FB page a reminder and I also said that next time I will send out a text. That one mom....who argued when I first made the policy......wrote a comment....for just rain??????? Oh goodness! One dad had to have his truck towed because he drove through high water, 1 mom had to take an alternate route because of downed trees.....and a grandma also had to take an alternate route...the grandma is the mom of the complainer.

Anyway.....Although it's for their own safety....for me there is another reason why I implemented this policy,....I don't not want "spend the nighters", and I don't want just one kid to show up.

For tornadoes, I follow the school. If school gets out, I immediately call the parents to pick up. I implemented this into my policy a couple years ago....Most parents were OK with it....
daycarediva 05:01 AM 12-02-2016
SOE or road closings. If our main road in town closes, or if the thruway closes (most of my parents take this to get to work).

The new superintendent is not from this state, so (IMHO) she closes too much. We had TWO snow days already this year. The first day, should have been a delay, the roads were cleared and salted by 9. The second day? The roads were clear and salted before 7.

Our last superintendent was from NS. We NEVER has a snow day under him. One hour delays only.
Annalee 05:03 AM 12-02-2016
I don't close for snow, but have for ice before due to no electricity.
MissAnn 05:12 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I close for ice for sure. Too many close calls. One mom did not come get her child after I texted all parents and told them cars were sliding off the road attached to our subdivision. Also cars were already parked at the bottom of our hill because it was too icy. Other times parents just couldn't get here in the morning. Also.....almost all my parents are teachers and will have the day off. I've had some bring them here anyway.
Jupadia 05:24 AM 12-02-2016
I'm lucky so far it's never come up. I have in my contract that I close I'd there is no power and heat for more then 2 hours. But I've never lost power for that long since where right beside a hospital if we loss it so do they so it gets fixed fast (may change since site is now a not a hospital but a hospital clinic.
I grew up in Alberta Canada where snow days are things from the movies. Schools are open as long as there is heat in the building. Now I'm in Ontario they do have snow days but they are few and far between. I have not closed for one yet cause I don't have any school aged kids.
Blackcat31 05:27 AM 12-02-2016
I don't have a policy and more than not am open BUT I would close if the city, county and/or state declares that travel is not advised or we have nay type of "abnormal" conditions.

We are used to snow, ice and arctic temps but sometimes it's not just worth venturing out.

I take the situation as a whole into account and would group text all parents and let them know I was closed.

I would obviously try to notify them as soon as possible but sometimes it just is what it is.

If I had a parent give me flack about it, I'd throw it right back at them that it was for THEIR safety and clearly something that was necessary since the parent didn't seem capable of making that decision on their own.
Annalee 05:40 AM 12-02-2016
I close for ice for sure. Too many close calls. One mom did not come get her child after I texted all parents and told them cars were sliding off the road attached to our subdivision. Also cars were already parked at the bottom of our hill because it was too icy. Other times parents just couldn't get here in the morning. Also.....almost all my parents are teachers and will have the day off. I've had some bring them here anyway.
The ones that got upset with my tornado closing were sitting home in a storm shelter but left their kids here?
LysesKids 05:57 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
ME TOO... I do have a tornado policy also and so far no complaints.
Unregistered 08:18 AM 12-02-2016
I dont have any policy on weathrer, because I dont travel for work. Its the parents discretion. But they still have to be on time for pick up and pay if their child does not come.
childcaremom 08:29 AM 12-02-2016
I stay open as I don't travel. However, if they are pulling emergency vehicles off the road and/or are closing major roads then I will close.

If the power is off I will stay open unless I can't keep food safe or the house warm. I would close if it were off for days (like during Hurricane season).
TXhomedaycare 09:31 AM 12-02-2016
I have it in my handbook that I follow the school districts inclement weather policy. I live in Texas so rain can cause issues not to mention ice. I also don't want kids sleeping over which is why I chose to follow the schools (and for safety but more for not wanting the kids to spend the night). The first year I was open we had real snow and in this part of Texas that is crazy. I closed early along with the school and thank goodness because it took a few parents about 4-5 hours to get here in traffic before the snow was even really bad.
laundrymom 10:17 AM 12-02-2016
If crap hits the fan I text parents and let them know we are alive. And sheltering in place. And ask them to pick up when it's safe. I also post to my personal and business page the same info. In true emergencies calls texts or FB messages might not go through. In aug I could read messages from FB but not respond. However I could update my status so that's how we communicated w not only parents but our own families as well. FB actually had a pop up that you clicked to state you were safe after the tornadoes hit. It helped tremendously because regular channels were so unpredictable.

If power is out I ask for pickup. Other than that, I dont parent them. I'm here. If they get stuck in my drive I lend them a shovel. If they get stuck on the road I recommend a friends tow service.
Blackcat31 10:40 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I dont have any policy on weathrer, because I dont travel for work. Its the parents discretion. But they still have to be on time for pick up and pay if their child does not come.
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I stay open as I don't travel. However, if they are pulling emergency vehicles off the road and/or are closing major roads then I will close.

If the power is off I will stay open unless I can't keep food safe or the house warm. I would close if it were off for days (like during Hurricane season).
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
If crap hits the fan I text parents and let them know we are alive. And sheltering in place. And ask them to pick up when it's safe. I also post to my personal and business page the same info. In true emergencies calls texts or FB messages might not go through. In aug I could read messages from FB but not respond. However I could update my status so that's how we communicated w not only parents but our own families as well. FB actually had a pop up that you clicked to state you were safe after the tornadoes hit. It helped tremendously because regular channels were so unpredictable.

If power is out I ask for pickup. Other than that, I dont parent them. I'm here. If they get stuck in my drive I lend them a shovel. If they get stuck on the road I recommend a friends tow service.
Not traveling to and from shouldn't influence your policies for emergency closures.

Many liability insurance policies do not provide coverage for times outside of your normal operating hours.

Licensing in my state recommends closing because you are not legally suppose to be caring for kids outside your licensed hours...even in emergency situations.

Also if the weather is bad enough that parents really shouldn't be traveling also means emergency vehicles can't get to you either.

I know not all states have those rules and suggestions etc but my point is, check with licensing and with your insurance and/or home owners to be sure that keeping kids in situations like this is okay and covered.
Unregistered 11:26 AM 12-02-2016
I close for winter weather if the schools close. I do not want to feel guilty if I were open and a parent got in a wreck on the way to daycare. If it's bad enough for school age children it's bad enough for little children too! I post my closing on fb and our location stations. If you are open they will come! I will not let them put little lives in danger to get here so I close if the schools close.
Unregistered 11:51 AM 12-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not traveling to and from shouldn't influence your policies for emergency closures.

Many liability insurance policies do not provide coverage for times outside of your normal operating hours.

Licensing in my state recommends closing because you are not legally suppose to be caring for kids outside your licensed hours...even in emergency situations.

Also if the weather is bad enough that parents really shouldn't be traveling also means emergency vehicles can't get to you either.

I know not all states have those rules and suggestions etc but my point is, check with licensing and with your insurance and/or home owners to be sure that keeping kids in situations like this is okay and covered.
They wont be here outside my business hours because i require them to pick up on time they need to have enough common sense. If its snowing, leave work early. If you wake up and its a blizzard outside, dont put your child at risk. Weather channels warn you ahead of time of weather warnings, parents need to think ahead. We had a bad snow storm here that was going to start at 2pm. So all the parents picked up by 2pm because they knew the weather was coming.
Rockgirl 12:24 PM 12-02-2016
My part of Tx gets a fair amount of snow and ice. It takes quite a bit to close schools in our town, so if school is closed, it's pretty bad. My street isn't plowed, so if anyone says they are coming, I do let them know the condition of my street before they head out.

I had a mom once, during a big snowstorm, insist she would be bringing her 2 yr old. Her office was closed, but she "needed to study". I told her that dcb would be the only one here--still coming. Told her my street was about 18" deep--still coming because Dad's hummer could make it. Finally she called and said she'd keep him home since her Saturn might not make it for pickup.
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 12-02-2016
They wont be here outside my business hours because i require them to pick up on time they need to have enough common sense. If its snowing, leave work early. If you wake up and its a blizzard outside, dont put your child at risk. Weather channels warn you ahead of time of weather warnings, parents need to think ahead. We had a bad snow storm here that was going to start at 2pm. So all the parents picked up by 2pm because they knew the weather was coming.
I have the same rules and expect the same type of common sense to be used.

Unfortunately, there seems to be less and less adult blessed with that characteristic so I am starting to slowly take the option of "using your best judgment" from parents as they don't seem to use it much these days.
Unregistered 09:39 PM 12-02-2016
I changed my weather policy a few years back when I had a DCD bring his daughters in and got stuck in my driveway. It was so bad out and they were the only family to show. Come to find out later at pick up that DCM didn't even go to work that day, and DCD worked nights so he'd be home but he'd be sleeping. He risked driving because they had already paid for care. So I had changed my policy that if schools close due to inclement weather that I would remain open as I will be home, but if they stay home I do not charge for the day. It was/is great because just like my kids I too now get excited about snow days as most parents do stay home. However, it stresses me out now too because of the financial burden in causes especially if it's a bad winter.

Thinking about changing it, most of my DCP are teachers so they won't work those days anyways. Would it be wrong if me to close those days and still expect payment?
Unregistered 09:43 PM 12-02-2016
I forgot to mention as well that when DCD got stuck in my driveway he also almost took out my mailbox. Luckily a neighbor came to the rescue and pulled him out. I tried not laughing because the neighbor looked at him like he was a fool and said "if I pull you out and there's any damage to your car, I better not hear anything about it" Hope
I changed my weather policy a few years back when I had a DCD bring his daughters in and got stuck in my driveway. It was so bad out and they were the only family to show. Come to find out later at pick up that DCM didn't even go to work that day, and DCD worked nights so he'd be home but he'd be sleeping. He risked driving because they had already paid for care. So I had changed my policy that if schools close due to inclement weather that I would remain open as I will be home, but if they stay home I do not charge for the day. It was/is great because just like my kids I too now get excited about snow days as most parents do stay home. However, it stresses me out now too because of the financial burden in causes especially if it's a bad winter.

Thinking about changing it, most of my DCP are teachers so they won't work those days anyways. Would it be wrong if me to close those days and still expect payment?

childcaremom 01:52 AM 12-03-2016
This is me, as well. If the roads are questionable and they decide to come, regular drop off and pick up times apply.

Schools here have questionable closures. Sometimes they close and we wonder why because the roads are clear. Other times they stay open and we keep our kids home because the roads are terrible. So I don't use school closures as a guideline at all.

If I was having issues with late pick ups due to weather conditions, then I might revisit this policy, but as it is, I haven't had problems.
debbiedoeszip 06:27 AM 12-03-2016

I only close (due to weather) if I lose power and it's likely going to be out for more than a couple of hours. My clients pay in advance and my policy is that if I make the daycare unavailable to them (I close) then I refund their money. I don't want to do that very often (never, if possible) so the situation has to be pretty extreme before I close.

If a client decides not to risk traveling due to weather and keeps their child home, then there is no refund, but it's at their own risk if they come. I don't take responsibility for their decisions.
debbiedoeszip 06:33 AM 12-03-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
This is me, as well. If the roads are questionable and they decide to come, regular drop off and pick up times apply.

Schools here have questionable closures. Sometimes they close and we wonder why because the roads are clear. Other times they stay open and we keep our kids home because the roads are terrible. So I don't use school closures as a guideline at all.

If I was having issues with late pick ups due to weather conditions, then I might revisit this policy, but as it is, I haven't had problems.
I'm in eastern Ontario, Canada and our schools almost never close. Buses are cancelled but schools stay open (lucky teachers lol). None of my dckids are school-aged so we aren't even affected by school bus cancellations.
Tags:weather policy
Reply Up