Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Are So Predictable Sometimes
Meyou 05:59 AM 05-03-2011
I mentioned it on another thread but I gave up part time care recently. 2 of my families signed a new contract right away, 2 signed after a meeting to clarify a few things and the 5th didn't speak to me for a month, then complained their way through a meeting trying to get me to bend and then finally signed under my new terms begrudgingly because they couldn't find anyone to work their PT schedule...go figure.

When they signed I told my boyfriend that I was putting it on record that when the new terms started I was betting they would immediately go from pt attendance to open to close on the days they now had to pay for regardless if they needed them that week or not. Sure enough....just got off the phone with the mom and her schedule for this month is open to close on all the days they now have to pay for.

The gigglely hillarious part for me is that I prefer to have them here (they use 2 spots) consistently instead of a changing schedule. I'm GLAD they are spitefully leaving their kids here from open to close to teach me a lesson. It's so much easier now with all of the kids arriving and leaving at approx the same time everyday. I have all morning every morning for activities and I no longer have to plan around when these children will be here for crafts or special outings. The previous schedule was confusing for the kids because Mom scheduled as many half days as possible to minimize her daycare bill after I mistakenly agreed to do one half day for her a year ago. So they were coming different days each week and different arrival times ranging from 7:30am to noon.

I just had to share because I find it so funny that I predicted the open to close tactic over a month ago and it's come true. lol Extra funny because having them here more often for longer days actually works much better for me. Muhahahahaha..... Extra, extra funny because their main arguments over my new terms were about quality time with their children and how important it is for them to spend as much time with them as possible.
seashell 06:02 AM 05-03-2011
I only do full time and it works out so good for everyone. The pay one rate for 5 days, 8am to 6pm. No schedules to mess with, no late charges, random one day to fill...eventually they will start cutting back and not using you every second of the day.
cheerfuldom 06:07 AM 05-03-2011
good for you! I only do full time or part time IF it is a full day each day they are here. Having people coming and going is incredibly annoying and most often leaves kids confused and acting out.
Meyou 06:12 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
good for you! I only do full time or part time IF it is a full day each day they are here. Having people coming and going is incredibly annoying and most often leaves kids confused and acting out.
That was a huge part of the problem other than the obvious financial one. The younger child in the family was especially confused. Some days she'd get here and play for hours, some days she'd literally come in the door and go right to bed.
Meyou 06:14 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by seashell:
I only do full time and it works out so good for everyone. The pay one rate for 5 days, 8am to 6pm. No schedules to mess with, no late charges, random one day to fill...eventually they will start cutting back and not using you every second of the day.
Haha! I'm sure once the ill feelings wear off they'll start using their quality time again. It is easier with the flat fee...I'm really glad I got rid of the PT. It was making me bitter. lol
nannyde 06:20 AM 05-03-2011
I think you could end up with a lot of "scheduled from eight a.m. to five p.m." but them arriving later in the morning and you not knowing when they are actually going to show up.

Are you sure SHE has a schedule change or just changed the kids schedule? If she didn't get a schedule change you could have a roller coaster of arrival times and kids arriving late into the morning who just got up.

I would set a time that she MUST be there in order for her to use your services that day. I would give her an hour on top of the time she is telling you now and tell her they MUST be there by then. If they haven't arrived by then you will consider them gone for the day.

Parent: Extra, extra funny because their main arguments over my new terms were about quality time with their children and how important it is for them to spend as much time with them as possible

Parent translator: I love me some part time half day rates... specially the ones where the kid comes in the morning till nap time and I take them home and put them to bed. Get a full day of no kid for half the price.
Meyou 06:31 AM 05-03-2011
Hahaha....that's how I read the quality time too nannyde. I love quality time because I love only paying you for half the day.

She didn't change her schedule at all. This week she's working M T W 1-9pm but the kids are here from 7:30 to 5:30. But paying for time the kids aren't here is eating them up so they'll max the time the kids are here since they have to pay for it. All good with me and honestly good for the other kids too. I get tired of them asking when DCG and DCG will be here today.

I already have a drop off time in place with the new contract. The kids have to arrive between 7:30am and 9am and can be picked up between 3:30 and 5:30 after nap, potty and snack. I got rid of part days altogether.
daysofelijah 06:46 AM 05-03-2011
I have to say I am looking forward to hearing the woes of the two families I am letting go trying to find care for as good a discount as they get here. Both of them "roped" me into paying for only the (varied) days they are here and I am losing so much money from them and still working 55 hours a week, because you know it never happens that they take the same day off. (I know all my fault because I have no backbone.)

I like them both, they are good parents, but really tired of working all week long for them when I only get paid for three days. The only family I am keeping is the one who has consistently paid me full-time rates even though they only use four or less days per week. Never once have they complained or tried to get me to reduce their pay.
MsMe 07:05 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Hahaha....that's how I read the quality time too nannyde. I love quality time because I love only paying you for half the day.

She didn't change her schedule at all. This week she's working M T W 1-9pm but the kids are here from 7:30 to 5:30. But paying for time the kids aren't here is eating them up so they'll max the time the kids are here since they have to pay for it. All good with me and honestly good for the other kids too. I get tired of them asking when DCG and DCG will be here today.

I already have a drop off time in place with the new contract. The kids have to arrive between 7:30am and 9am and can be picked up between 3:30 and 5:30 after nap, potty and snack. I got rid of part days altogether.
I think it is horrible, terrible, and very poor parenting that she would sacrifice time (7:30 to 12:30)with her children to 'punish' you and get her moneys worth. I understand why it work out better for you and your sched. but I feel that parents who are willing to treat there own children this way are ...well i dont have word I can use here for it.
nannyde 07:41 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I think it is horrible, terrible, and very poor parenting that she would sacrifice time (7:30 to 12:30)with her children to 'punish' you and get her moneys worth. I understand why it work out better for you and your sched. but I feel that parents who are willing to treat there own children this way are ...well i dont have word I can use here for it.
They will most likely either find someone who will agree to do what the provider previously offered OR they will find out they actuallly really like life when their kids are gone all the time and they have so much me time.

That will depend on whether or not they have had free care during the extra hours they weren't paying the provider or if they actually had the kids during that time. It will also depend on whether or not they had a lot of days where they just had the kids there till nap and then were able to take them home and put them to bed. IOW... how much time they actually had their kids with them awake on the part time schedule.
Meyou 01:26 PM 05-03-2011
I did tell her she could drop them off between 12:15 and 12:30 any day she would like to keep them home for the morning. That way they're here for lunch and prenap routine but they don't affect my morning. I wouldn't want to deprive her of her quality time with her kids that she's needed so badly for the past couple of years.
Tags:parents - predictable, part time to full time
Reply Up