Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Notice For Closing Daycare
AnythingsPossible 12:53 PM 08-17-2010
If you knew you were going to be closing your daycare within the next 6 months, how much notice would you give your current families? After 8 years of daycare I plan on closing at the first of the year, and am unsure of how soon to start telling people. Thanks for any insight you can offer!
ninosqueridos 03:15 PM 08-17-2010
Congrats on 8 years! If I were closing Jan 2011, I would give my notice yesterday. It's only fair to the families so they have time to find another provider.
AmandasFCC 03:20 PM 08-17-2010
I would personally give a month's notice if you don't want to lose the families you have now. If I found out the daycare my dd was going to was shutting down soon, I'd find something else ASAP.
sahm1225 03:58 PM 08-17-2010
I agree about giving one month notice. Or even 1 1/2 months notice. If you give notice now most of them will be looking at switching daycares asap and you will end up closing due to no clients.
Since you are planning on closing, then that might not be a problem I guess. But what happens if you change your mind and want to continue?
AfterSchoolMom 04:09 PM 08-17-2010
If you're closing as of January 1st, I'd give notice before Thanksgiving. The holidays are a hectic time.
DanceMom 05:08 PM 08-17-2010
I also would give notice probably early November - with the holidays coming up I would want to make sure they had plenty of time to find something and not have to stress over that and the holidays!
juliebug 06:33 PM 08-17-2010
I would say before thanksgiving mostly because of the holidays!
mac60 02:28 AM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I would personally give a month's notice if you don't want to lose the families you have now. If I found out the daycare my dd was going to was shutting down soon, I'd find something else ASAP.
I agree, once they find out, parents will start looking and leave.
alyssyn 04:11 AM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by juliebug:
I would say before thanksgiving mostly because of the holidays!
Yes, I agree. Before Thanksgiving.
Unregistered 04:58 AM 08-18-2010
I'm not sure what childcare options are available in your area and if parents would have a difficult time finding space for their children. I think that factor should matter in determining when to give your notice. I would say to put yourself in the parent's shoes and give the type of notice you would want if you were in their situation.
MommyMuffin 08:04 AM 08-18-2010
It is none of my buisness so dont feel obligated to reply but I was wondering, why are you quitting daycare? I am just about to start and haven't even gotten my feet wet yet. I just want to see what others feel so I can become prepared for the challenges of this career.
AnythingsPossible 09:25 AM 08-18-2010
Thanks for all the input. I was thinking around Thanksgiving would be sufficient time.
The reasons I am planning on closing are numerous. First off, I don't worry about the parents having enough time to find daycare, as that is one of the reasons I am closing. We live in a town of 9,000 people, mainly a retirement area and we currently have 23 home daycares, with more planning on opening. Not sure where they plan on finding kids! For the past year and a half, anytime I lose a dc client it has been a hard struggle to find a replacement. Especially full time clients. This fall I will have 1 full time kiddo and the rest are all part timers. You end up having to take whatever walks in the door rather they are a good fit or not. Our licensor had hopes of possibly "pushing" out some of the daycare's that shouldn't be in business, let's face it, we all know they are out there. But it has caused those of us who do a good job to have to struggle and fight for kids. But, that's business I guess. Just don't want to play the game anymore.
Also, my kids are 14, 12, and 10. While the 10 and 12 year old still occasionally enjoy having all the kids around, my 14 year old is over it and I rarely see him as he spends time at other people's houses who don't have tons of little ones around. However he is 14, so he may do that anyway.
All in all, I just feel it is time for a change in my life. I have enjoyed it, but the stress and frustration over powers the positives anymore.
HeatherB 04:37 PM 08-23-2010
ITA with the thanksgiving notice. ((HUGS)) on finding new source of income.
Unregistered 12:00 PM 04-07-2011
Kuddos for giving plenty of notice before closing. We are currently in the process of finding a new provider after 5 years of care. We were given 5 days notice that our provider was closing her doors and moving on to new employment.
Now we are stuck with the prospect of sending our children to a stranger whom we have no personal connection or idea on the quality of care, although references checked out. This has been frustrating and it would have been nice to have decent notice!
Tags:close daycare
Reply Up