Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Charge The Same Rate 52 Weeks/Yr...
SunflowerMama 11:26 AM 11-14-2011
I would love to move to this come Jan 1st if I could work out all the math ok and explain it properly the parents so that they don't feel hosed at all when I take vacation or close on holidays.

Right now I have a weekly rate and then a few federal holidays off paid and 10 paid personal days. I give each family 10 unpaid days so basically works out even stephen.

How do you figure your weekly rate for the year with the federal holidays and such? Since basically 2 weeks is a scratch would you figure the average for just 50 weeks? Btw I charge a flat rate of $165/wk if that helps.
Cat Herder 11:50 AM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
explain it properly the parents so that they don't feel hosed at all when I take vacation or close on holidays.
IME, There ARE no words that will do this.

Some will argue with it no matter how many times you explain. The trick is to weed them out in the interview.

Parents that want a consistent, reliable, quality provider know we have to be paid to stay in business. I promise, they are out there.
Abigail 12:09 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I would love to move to this come Jan 1st if I could work out all the math ok and explain it properly the parents so that they don't feel hosed at all when I take vacation or close on holidays.

Right now I have a weekly rate and then a few federal holidays off paid and 10 paid personal days. I give each family 10 unpaid days so basically works out even stephen.

How do you figure your weekly rate for the year with the federal holidays and such? Since basically 2 weeks is a scratch would you figure the average for just 50 weeks? Btw I charge a flat rate of $165/wk if that helps.
Well $165 x 50 weeks (2 weeks unpaid) is $8,250 per year per child. Really, everything remains the same except you let the parents hear the new wording.

You would have the parents pay the $165 per week every week except when they go on vacation. If you want a check every week regardless then it is $330 per child per year less. Take that and divide it by the 2 weeks they don't pay and subtract.

$165 x 52 weeks = $8,580
$165 x 50 weeks = $8,250
Difference = $330 a year

So take $8,250 / 52 weeks to be paid (instead of 50 weeks so they pay weekly even on their vacation) is $158.65 per child to be paid every week whether on vacation or not.

Honestly, I would change it to a flat weekly rate without giving the family any unpaid vacation time. Change your rates to $160 flat weekly rate and be closed your 10 days of the year and your paid hoildays. This would actually give you a slight pay raise and a promised income every week.

I was informed to get rid of my "free days" for the family when I got licensed and I did. I am not worried about keeping track of who use what days and who paid for what.
SimpleMom 12:58 PM 11-14-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Well $165 x 50 weeks (2 weeks unpaid) is $8,250 per year per child. Really, everything remains the same except you let the parents hear the new wording.

You would have the parents pay the $165 per week every week except when they go on vacation. If you want a check every week regardless then it is $330 per child per year less. Take that and divide it by the 2 weeks they don't pay and subtract.

$165 x 52 weeks = $8,580
$165 x 50 weeks = $8,250
Difference = $330 a year

So take $8,250 / 52 weeks to be paid (instead of 50 weeks so they pay weekly even on their vacation) is $158.65 per child to be paid every week whether on vacation or not.

Honestly, I would change it to a flat weekly rate without giving the family any unpaid vacation time. Change your rates to $160 flat weekly rate and be closed your 10 days of the year and your paid hoildays. This would actually give you a slight pay raise and a promised income every week.

I was informed to get rid of my "free days" for the family when I got licensed and I did. I am not worried about keeping track of who use what days and who paid for what.
Whoa! My heads spinnin' LOL. You figure things on paper just as I do

I agree. I used to give free days, but it did get confusing. I have 5 paid days off per year and two unpaid weeks. All Holidays are paid days off. It all evens out. It's just a flat rate based on a yearly tuition plan. The less confusing the better lol.
wdmmom 01:41 PM 11-14-2011
I am starting this as well. I'm not taking away from current families that had previously signed on. They will continue to receive 2 weeks at 50% off if a 2 week notice is given.

Any new clients will pay 52 full weeks out of the year.
bice99 02:01 PM 11-14-2011
I have tuition due on the first of each month. It's figured by:
weekly rate x 50 weeks (I have 2 unpaid and 1 paid week vacation, plus paid holidays)
divided by 12 months

Parents pay the same amount per month, regardless of how many days/weeks are in the month. Makes it easier on their budget and mine
CheekyChick 02:53 PM 11-14-2011
$165.00 per week
Times 50 weeks
= $8,250.00 per year
Divided by 12 months
= $687.50 per month.
Texasjeepgirl 05:09 PM 11-14-2011

In the first few years that I was open for business.. I didn't even charge for National Holidays.. DUMB...
Then I started charging for holidays.. BUT.. I ran my daycare for almost 18 years before I decided I DESERVE to recieve a paid vacation.
(I know that will stir up a HORNETS NEST just saying it that way)....lol..

I debated it for almost 2 years...

In 2007.. I needed a hysterectomy....
but.. honestly.. I couldn't afford to loose the income if I closed down my daycare... even for a week...
so.. I have two sisters... both are public school teachers.
One of them speaks up and says.. I'll come run your daycare for you... you get that surgery...
Well.. sounded good at first...but..
I suggested she come to my house on Sunday.. (she lives over 4 hours away)... I thought she could work with me.. OPEN to CLOSE... you know.. meet everyone.. learn the 'ropes' so to speak..
She said.. I DO NOT need YOU to SHOW ME how to run your daycare... I am a kindergarten teacher.. I KNOW how to do your job..
lol
ok...
She arrived at my home near closing time Monday evening...
met a few clients.. but some had already left for the day.
I was out at the crack of dawn the following morning... to the hospital...
she and my 2 teenage daughters ran the daycare .. and.. when they came to visit that night.. she stood beside my bed and said..
I HATE YOUR JOB.. I don't know how you've done this job all these years..
LONG STORY SHORT.. she ran the daycare Wednesday.. and Thursday.. I came home from the hospital Thursday afternoon.. sent her home.. and I ran my daycare on Friday.. with the assistance of my husband.. and my daughters...
and.. that was it.. I had 3 days off.. The 3 days I was in the hospital..

Anyway.. I'm rambling..

HERE'S what I did...
I typed up a new contact...
In late October... 2 years ago...
I handed a printed copy out to each of my clients.. with a letter that basically said.. Thank you so much for choosing me as your caregiver... I appreciate your trust...and your business...
Please read the new PARENT HANDBOOK... THERE ARE SEVERAL CHANGES that you will need to read carefully...
I will need you to read this.. and determine if you will choose to continue to be my client...IF YOU choose to continue with me as your caregiver... please sign the agreement and return it to me.. IF you choose to make alternate child care arrangements... please let me know ASAP so I can begin to schedule interviews to replace your child's position in my daycare...
The NEW Handbook will take effect beginning JANUARY 1...

All my clients signed up...

as for giving clients 'FREE' days..
I do not do it.
That would CANCEL OUT me getting paid for MY VACATION...
I've actually had a few clients ask.. even after READING AND AGREEING to my handbook..
I just smile. and politely say.. I'm sorry.. I DON'T DO THAT..

If they didn't READ the HANDBOOK completely.. THAT is not my problem..
I am very clear about my policies...A potential new client has the option to either enroll or NOT ENROLL.. but.. these policies are what you must agree to in order to enroll here..PERIOD...

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ MY CURRENT PARENT HANDKBOOK..
go to my website..

www.tammyschildcare.com

www.texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com
Tags:weekly rates
Reply Up