Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Not Eating & Is Inconsolable- Thoughts?
bunnyslippers 10:38 AM 03-05-2012
I have a new little 4 month old baby here with me (I rarely take babies). This is her second week. Last week, she was in a great mood, ate fine, napped fine. Perfect little baby! Today, she has been inconsolable and refuses to eat anything. She usually eats every 3 hours, and has not taken anything from me all day.

Her parents were both sick over the weekend. Her mom is thinking she is just being stubborn and not eating for me. I think 4 months is a little young to be manipulative and I am fairly sure she has a stomach bug. What do you all think?
Soupyszoo 10:44 AM 03-05-2012
I agree 4 months is too young to decide not to eat for you. Babies that young, in my experience, will eat when hungry and that is usually every two to four hours at the most. If she is inconsolable I would call them to come get her. I have a couple babies and sometimes when they don't feel good that's how they act. They can't tell us what's wrong so we have to use our gut! If you suspect a stomach bug call them now! You've all already been exposed so chances are you will all get it

That being said... It is Monday. My babies are the worst on Monday because they are attachment babies and they just miss their parents, but mine hardly ever refuse food unless they're not feeling good
Heidi 10:44 AM 03-05-2012
4 months is about the right age to be wierd about taking a bottle from a stranger if breastfed, but def. not "manipulative".

Did she take a bottle before she came this am? Any signs of fever or other illness symptoms?
bunnyslippers 10:52 AM 03-05-2012
She did take a bottle this morning before she came. She is definitely more fussy than she has ever been here, but has no other signs of illness. She was fine all last week, and is a pretty easy going baby. She had no problem taking her bottle last week at all. When I present it today, she is mashing her lips shut and even gagged. She likes it here, and is pretty happy usually. She is pulling up her legs and stiffening/tightening her arms, too.
christinaskids 10:58 AM 03-05-2012
Sounds like she is having a hard time going poo. Has she gone lately?
Reply Up