Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ridiculous Regulations
SilverSabre25 07:22 AM 07-25-2014
I know we've all read things that other states do that has us thanking our lucky stars saying, "thank goodness I'm not there...."

What are some of the regs you consider to be the most ridiculous in your area?
Unregistered 07:30 AM 07-25-2014
The whole tb test every 3 years??? Why are we so concerned about tb? There a million other things we could be concerned about but tb? It's not very common anymore. Also in Michigan,home daycares can only take care of six kids per person.I've been at this for years and can properly care for more then 6 by myself.I don't understand different ratio for different states.Soif you live in Utah you can care for 16 or however many there is but because I live in Michigan I can only have six.I think they should increase it if you've been doing daycare for more then 10 years without any violations on your record.Just my opinion!
spinnymarie 07:37 AM 07-25-2014
Illinois seems generally reasonable, except for the ratios, I agree with PP.
In Illinois you can watch six kids under 5 by yourself, or, if you get a 'group home' license, and jump through extra hoops and have an ECE degree, you can watch... six kids under 5 by yourself. Or 12 with a full-time assistant. So there is technically ZERO reason to be bigger, and two people could make just as much money doing separately as they could doing it together. Which makes no sense to me.
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 07-25-2014
I don't think my state has any weird or difficult rules to follow.

I am comfortable with the adult to child ratios and haven't run into any licensing rules that were difficult to follow.

In my state you can't apply to be a large group provider though until you've been in business for atleast 1 year without any violations.

My county participates with QRIS too and any providers that have a 4 star rating (max rating) cannot have ANY violations or correction orders or they automatically lose their 4 star rating.
Crazy8 07:52 AM 07-25-2014
school age being included in our max of 5 kids.

biggest thing is that a provider in other states is able to watch DOUBLE the number of kids I can - why, just because they are over a state line???
Play Care 07:54 AM 07-25-2014
In some states your own children are considered day care kids until 12 or 13 and must follow day care rules even if the spouse is home. My own kids are 7 and 8 and I can't imagine, as my day care is only for under 5.
Annalee 08:28 AM 07-25-2014
If you go online to my state's child care website there are violations listed such as.....toilet paper placed on shelf behind commodes considered unaccessible, provider burning scented candle, etc.....I understand the need for supervision particularly with adult/child ratios, but some of these petty things make providers feel like the licensing/daycare troopers are after us BIG-TIME!!!!!! I look for a large decline in providers with the rapid increase in "write-ups".......
Meeko 08:39 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The whole tb test every 3 years??? Why are we so concerned about tb? There a million other things we could be concerned about but tb? It's not very common anymore. Also in Michigan,home daycares can only take care of six kids per person.I've been at this for years and can properly care for more then 6 by myself.I don't understand different ratio for different states.Soif you live in Utah you can care for 16 or however many there is but because I live in Michigan I can only have six.I think they should increase it if you've been doing daycare for more then 10 years without any violations on your record.Just my opinion!
I am in Utah and am licensed for 16. However, there must be TWO providers the second I go over 8 kids.
Second Home 08:40 AM 07-25-2014
I find it funny when they check the temp in my refrigerator , I know they want the food to be stored at the right temp to be safe . It is just funny to watch them put a thermometer in my fridge and wait .

Here the ratios can change by county . We can have 6 or can petition to have 8 if your home is large enough . Even 1 child in care in your home and you must be licensed.
Heidi 08:40 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
If you go online to my state's child care website there are violations listed such as.....toilet paper placed on shelf behind commodes considered unaccessible, provider burning scented candle, etc.....I understand the need for supervision particularly with adult/child ratios, but some of these petty things make providers feel like the licensing/daycare troopers are after us BIG-TIME!!!!!! I look for a large decline in providers with the rapid increase in "write-ups".......
Yeah...I saw a large center in Milwaukee who takes school agers got cited for lack of toilet paper at 4:30 in the afternoon. Plus, they bathroom was messy....paper all over the floor, etc.

Go to any school in the country (or heck, many of our bathrooms) and see what happens when a group of school-agers troops through there for the first 20 minutes after arrival.

Does anyone know a child alive who would come say "hey, we're out of toilet paper" AFTER they've gone to the bathroom?
Meyou 08:42 AM 07-25-2014
The only local one that really irritates me is that a public playground with three large openings on a busy corner two blocks from my house with 3 streets to cross on the walk is considered an acceptable safe outdoor space but my fenced backyard is not because there is no fence between my house and my neighbors.
Annalee 08:45 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I find it funny when they check the temp in my refrigerator , I know they want the food to be stored at the right temp to be safe . It is just funny to watch them put a thermometer in my fridge and wait .

Here the ratios can change by county . We can have 6 or can petition to have 8 if your home is large enough . Even 1 child in care in your home and you must be licensed.
We have to leave a thermometer in our fridge and freezer and will be written up by health/environment if it isn't in there! They don't even supply their own.
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Does anyone know a child alive who would come say "hey, we're out of toilet paper" AFTER they've gone to the bathroom?
Yes, ALL of mine.

If I was paid strictly based on how many times I've heard "Miss C there's no toilet paper!!!!!!!!" yelled from the bathroom, I'd be doing pretty well financially.
nanglgrl 08:52 AM 07-25-2014
Our state is pretty fair on regulations but there are very few that are ridiculous and those ones annoy me to the core. I've posted this before but here I go again because these couple of regs annoy me because they lack common sense and that's my biggest pet peeve.

If we have a swimming pool the fence has to be 4 feet taller than the pool, if the pool is in-ground the fence only has to be 4 feet tall. So if I have a 4ft deep above ground I need an 8ft fence but if I have an 8ft deep below ground I only need a 4ft fence. There are other requirements for the fence surrounding the pool but the height requirements are the only thing I have an issue with.

The other reg that drives me nuts was that if we are a level B home (up to 12 children) we have to have 2 direct exits to our basement if we use it for daycare but if we are a level A home (up to 6 children) we don't. The rule itself doesn't neccesarily bother me it's the fine print. An egress can be used as the second exit but you have to have stairs going up to the egress window. On the outside of the window (in the window well) you are supposed to have stairs going up to ground level. That probably doesn't seem so bad to most but we also have to have a gate on the stairs so children don't get hurt. I've been told the reasoning behind the stairs is so the children can escape if he provider isn't present. Sooo..the child is supposed to get over a gate purposely set up so they can't get over it, unlock a window, open it and bust out the screen? Silliness. The entire idea just drives me nuts but then there is also the practicality. If you've ever seen an egress window well you know they are pretty deep but not very wide..it's impossible to put in steps outside that meet building code regulations. I've seen photos of some providers that have followed this rule and their steps are about 5 inches deep..not enough for most feet. The other problem is that by putting steps in the city will not pass your egress when they inspect it. The city (and most places) wants there to be a certain amount of area free in an egress well so a firefighter can get in there and through the window with all of his equiptment on. The city will also not pass the steps during inspection because they don't meet building code. So you can either follow city code or regs but if you don't follow city code you would be in trouble with your insurance if a person was hurt on the illegal steps.

In our state you can have 5 children without any oversite and 6 with oversite (more if you meet certain requirements). Our state really wants people to get registered, I think the last I heard 1 out of 3 providers is registered. With registration and one extra child you get unannounced inspections, training geared towards people who didn't graduate high school that makes you want to slam your head into the table, a lot of paper work and regs. With no registration you get none of that, are perfectly legal and can only have 1 less child but seriously who would know how many children you care for since there is no oversite? I've seen so many long term registered providers go unregistered in the last few years since they started having unannounced inspections on registered providers. They keep making more rules for registered providers and of course less providers are becoming registered. It just seems like they are doing things backwards, our state really needs to work towards mandatory registration or just give up trying to regulate childcare.
Meeko 08:52 AM 07-25-2014
During an inspection, licensing must watch us do a diaper change.

I'm a mother of four and have done childcare for nearly 30 years.

I have changed THOUSANDS of diapers.

I think I got this.......

I find it annoying to have a women young enough to be my daughter and who has no children....watching me to make sure I can change a diaper correctly. I was changing them before she was born.

She told me it's a stupid reg and she feels stupid doing it. Supposedly it's to make sure sanitary procedures are followed. But she said even the most dirty of providers is going to follow procedure if she's being watched...so what's the point?!

Our regs change a little each year. I'm sure it's just so someone at HQ has job security.
Annalee 08:55 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:

I find it annoying to have a women young enough to be my daughter and who has no children....watching me to make sure I can change a diaper correctly. I was changing them before she was born.

She told me it's a stupid reg and she feels stupid doing it. Supposedly it's to make sure sanitary procedures are followed. But she said even the most dirty of providers is going to follow procedure if she's being watched...so what's the point?!

Our regs change a little each year. I'm sure it's just so someone at HQ has job security.

MissAnn 09:01 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I know we've all read things that other states do that has us thanking our lucky stars saying, "thank goodness I'm not there...."

What are some of the regs you consider to be the most ridiculous in your area?
This isn't a regulation but part of assessment.....

"forced participation" which sounds horrible....but this is what forced participation looks like according to assessment:

If you are doing circle time and a child acts the least bit bored, you are to give them an alternate activity. Anything a child doesn't want to participate in.....give him an alternate activity. Even for the 4-5 year olds.

Yep....kindergarten teachers love this......
Annalee 09:06 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:

"forced participation" which sounds horrible....but this is what forced participation looks like according to assessment:

If you are doing circle time and a child acts the least bit bored, you are to give them an alternate activity. Anything a child doesn't want to participate in.....give him an alternate activity. Even for the 4-5 year olds.

Miss Ann, you are so right! There is not enough time in the day for me to express my disapproval of the annual Assessment.
Second Home 09:21 AM 07-25-2014

What would they do if you do not have any kids in diapers .
Heidi 09:25 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, ALL of mine.

If I was paid strictly based on how many times I've heard "Miss C there's no toilet paper!!!!!!!!" yelled from the bathroom, I'd be doing pretty well financially.
Yeah, but they yell it when they need it, not if they used it up...that's the next guy's problem.
Meeko 09:27 AM 07-25-2014

Because it's important to teach kids that the world revolves around them and that they never have to do anything they don't want to...ever.

mskaykay 09:47 AM 07-25-2014
My favorite..... the broom may not touch the ground. We had to hang hooks in every classroom to hang brooms from.
LysesKids 09:49 AM 07-25-2014
We have to leave a thermometer in our fridge and freezer and will be written up by health/environment if it isn't in there! They don't even supply their own.
Yep... one of the first thing they look for when food program pops in for inspection lol.
racemom 09:52 AM 07-25-2014
I hope I don't start something but... it is crazy how the center vs. Home regs are in my state. Some examples. Centers need fenced yard and staff must be outside at all times. Home daycare nothing kids can be outside by themselves without a fence or anything. Centers must have staff in nap rooms at all times. Homes can have kids on different levels or anywhere. Why they think unsupervised kids in homes are safer than centers is beyond my compression!
Annalee 09:57 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by racemom:
I hope I don't start something but... it is crazy how the center vs. Home regs are in my state. Some examples. Centers need fenced yard and staff must be outside at all times. Home daycare nothing kids can be outside by themselves without a fence or anything. Centers must have staff in nap rooms at all times. Homes can have kids on different levels or anywhere. Why they think unsupervised kids in homes are safer than centers is beyond my compression!
It is not that way in my state.....supervision and fencing are similar. I am sure that is frustrating for you. The main thing here is how they are so strict with FCC playgrounds and surfacing, but allow centers to slide by (in my county anyway)!
Hunni Bee 10:12 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by mskaykay:
My favorite..... the broom may not touch the ground. We had to hang hooks in every classroom to hang brooms from.

The BROOM??? That you sweep the floor WITH...may not touch the floor when not in use?

racemom 10:21 AM 07-25-2014
It is not that way in my state.....supervision and fencing are similar. I am sure that is frustrating for you. The main thing here is how they are so strict with FCC playgrounds and surfacing, but allow centers to slide by (in my county anyway)!
isn't it odd how different areas do things. I think everyone center or home should be treated equally!
melilley 10:22 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

The BROOM??? That you sweep the floor WITH...may not touch the floor when not in use?

I had to laugh at that one too!
CraftyMom 10:27 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

I think that one is the winner!!!!
melilley 10:33 AM 07-25-2014
I think most of the regs in my state are fair and I feel like my state is one of the more "easier" states, with licensing as well as with the Stars program.

The only reg that I don't get is the provider to child ratio. I can have up to 6 by myself and I'm not saying that I would ever want more by myself, but you would think that the ratios would be the same in all states. It's just odd.

One that I don't really like is the number of children that we can have in each age group. We can have 4 under 30 months, but only 2 of the 4 can be under 18 mo. I understand only having 2 under 18 mo., but I'm used to having younger kids and I feel I could handle more than they let you in the 18 to 30 mo. ratio. (if that makes sense).
CraftyMom 10:34 AM 07-25-2014
A lot of the regs make me

Most of them I don't mind though and I just go with it

If I had to choose one to dislike it's ratios. I can only have 6, including my own kids under age 10.

Also not being able to leave the kids with my husband while I run to an appointment. It's silly. He is approved to be in the home at any time (lucky me because he lives here ) but he was denied to be my assistant because of something foolish he did at 18 years old (more than 20 years ago!) I can appeal this, and I will, but it's just another hoop to jump through
MissAnn 10:35 AM 07-25-2014
Because it's important to teach kids that the world revolves around them and that they never have to do anything they don't want to...ever.

Because we want a world of only special snowflakes? Get ready kindergarten....here we come! A whole blizzard of special snowflakes. You are welcome.
spinnymarie 10:39 AM 07-25-2014
lol. this is hilarious. wtf is the broom FOR?
Annalee 10:43 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
lol. this is hilarious. wtf is the broom FOR?
For us to ride on!
DaveA 10:45 AM 07-25-2014
Illinois isn't too bad with regs, but the new daily inspection log requirement is a joke. Providers who check this stuff already don't need to mark it down daily, and the ones who don't will just make it up. Plus the reps don't explain exactly what needs to be inspected, so it's pretty much make it up as you go along. I told my rep this is going to be the most forged form in DCFS history.
Blackcat31 10:46 AM 07-25-2014
For us to ride on!
Hey, don't dis my mode of transportation.
Annalee 10:47 AM 07-25-2014
Hey, don't dis my mode of transportation.
It is cheaper than buying gas for our vehicles.
KiddieCahoots 10:51 AM 07-25-2014
For us to ride on!
Omg! ...............
KiddieCahoots 10:52 AM 07-25-2014
For us to ride on!
Don't think regs will pass for the use of car seats on these ........
Heidi 10:58 AM 07-25-2014
It is cheaper than buying gas for our vehicles.
and you aren't required to put in an alarm system so that no child is left behind!

That's my least favorite one, actually.

Any vehicle that has more than 6 passenger capacity must have an alarm that reminds the driver to check the back seat. You have to get out of the vehicle, open the back hatch, and push a button before removing the children (you only have 30 seconds after opening the drivers door).

If you forget, while you unloading your little group of preschoolers on their way to the children's museum, your car will start screeching a high pitched alarm.

Now, you've lost complete control of your freaked-out kiddos, some of whom are probably running for the hills, because you're trying to go back and turn off the alarm.

In the meantime, they load 60 kids onto a school bus (better known as a tuna can on wheels), without seat belts, drive them up and down snowy roads for over and hour to and from school.

Then, when they get back to the garage, just to be sure they haven't forgotten the sleeping kindergartner in the back, they have to walk back to the last seat and put a sign in the window that says "this bus has been checked for sleeping children".
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:19 AM 07-25-2014
My state just went to rules being the same across the board, whether in-home or center. So, some of the new regs are bothersome since this is, in fact, my home. Like, we can't have anyone on the premises during daycare hours that we have not have criminal background and sex offender registry checks on. I understand, and do agree that that could be a very valid concern for some. I just saw it as one of my perks to be around for family visiting from out of town.

And...we have to have some sort of check done on our own children when they turn 13. Just weird.
spinnymarie 11:31 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I just saw it as one of my perks to be around for family visiting from out of town.
I think you meant it the opposite, but this makes me:

Sorry, MIL, you guys can no longer visit during DC hours!
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Don't think regs will pass for the use of car seats on these ........
I don't transport kids. ever. so I'm good there.
Sunchimes 12:30 PM 07-25-2014
"...the broom may not touch the ground."

Of course we don't want the broom left on the ground. Let's raise it up higher off the ground so that it is at the perfect level for all of the toddlers to lick as they pass by it.

Or maybe I'm the only one with a roomful of kids who lick everything?

I may have this rule wrong. I saw it but it didn't apply to me, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. A listed home (listed homes are signed on with the state and we have had background checks but don't get inspections unless there is a complaint) can have only 3 children. However, you can have an additional 9 kids if they are related in some way. The "some way" is pretty broad, kids, grandkids, cousins, etc. So, I can only keep 3 unrelated kids safely. But if I keep Cousin Sarah's son's grandkids, I can have up to 12. Makes no sense.
EntropyControlSpecialist 12:42 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In some states your own children are considered day care kids until 12 or 13 and must follow day care rules even if the spouse is home. My own kids are 7 and 8 and I can't imagine, as my day care is only for under 5.
In my state my children count in ratios until they turn 14 and I had to ask my licensor if my infant daughter could go upstairs (going upstairs is a big NO NO in our state...) with my husband. She ultimately approved but I haven't sought approval from my new licensor. Guess I had better do that.
Annalee 12:44 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist:
In my state my children count in ratios until they turn 14 and I had to ask my licensor if my infant daughter could go upstairs (going upstairs is a big NO NO in our state...) with my husband. She ultimately approved but I haven't sought approval from my new licensor. Guess I had better do that.
In TN, your own count until they are 9 yrs old.
KiddieCahoots 01:19 PM 07-25-2014
I don't transport kids. ever. so I'm good there.
I can't get the image of the book cover Room On A Broom out of my mind, lol!
SquirrellyMama 01:31 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Our state is pretty fair on regulations but there are very few that are ridiculous and those ones annoy me to the core. I've posted this before but here I go again because these couple of regs annoy me because they lack common sense and that's my biggest pet peeve.

If we have a swimming pool the fence has to be 4 feet taller than the pool, if the pool is in-ground the fence only has to be 4 feet tall. So if I have a 4ft deep above ground I need an 8ft fence but if I have an 8ft deep below ground I only need a 4ft fence. There are other requirements for the fence surrounding the pool but the height requirements are the only thing I have an issue with.

The other reg that drives me nuts was that if we are a level B home (up to 12 children) we have to have 2 direct exits to our basement if we use it for daycare but if we are a level A home (up to 6 children) we don't. The rule itself doesn't neccesarily bother me it's the fine print. An egress can be used as the second exit but you have to have stairs going up to the egress window. On the outside of the window (in the window well) you are supposed to have stairs going up to ground level. That probably doesn't seem so bad to most but we also have to have a gate on the stairs so children don't get hurt. I've been told the reasoning behind the stairs is so the children can escape if he provider isn't present. Sooo..the child is supposed to get over a gate purposely set up so they can't get over it, unlock a window, open it and bust out the screen? Silliness. The entire idea just drives me nuts but then there is also the practicality. If you've ever seen an egress window well you know they are pretty deep but not very wide..it's impossible to put in steps outside that meet building code regulations. I've seen photos of some providers that have followed this rule and their steps are about 5 inches deep..not enough for most feet. The other problem is that by putting steps in the city will not pass your egress when they inspect it. The city (and most places) wants there to be a certain amount of area free in an egress well so a firefighter can get in there and through the window with all of his equiptment on. The city will also not pass the steps during inspection because they don't meet building code. So you can either follow city code or regs but if you don't follow city code you would be in trouble with your insurance if a person was hurt on the illegal steps.

In our state you can have 5 children without any oversite and 6 with oversite (more if you meet certain requirements). Our state really wants people to get registered, I think the last I heard 1 out of 3 providers is registered. With registration and one extra child you get unannounced inspections, training geared towards people who didn't graduate high school that makes you want to slam your head into the table, a lot of paper work and regs. With no registration you get none of that, are perfectly legal and can only have 1 less child but seriously who would know how many children you care for since there is no oversite? I've seen so many long term registered providers go unregistered in the last few years since they started having unannounced inspections on registered providers. They keep making more rules for registered providers and of course less providers are becoming registered. It just seems like they are doing things backwards, our state really needs to work towards mandatory registration or just give up trying to regulate childcare.
When I first started in daycare (in 2003) I was a registered home. I quit daycare for several years, and started up again 2 years ago. I was going to get registered again, but decided not to after talking with 3 friends who have been providers for years. They had all been registered every year for 10-12 years. Last year they all became unregistered providers. It just wasn't worth it anymore. I'll stay under 6 kids to not have the hassle of the state. I went to enough childcare classes for 4years, and have experience with my own kids. I also read up on child development.

If I ever want to have 6 or more I'll become registered again. I'd like to be a B category, but now wonder if my egress stairs would meet code.

Kelly
daycare 01:32 PM 07-25-2014
Yes, ALL of mine.

lol mine do too. Infact I have to tell them to chill on the TP.........
Bookworm 02:35 PM 07-25-2014
I remember about 6-7 years ago my center was cited for using 75 watt bulbs instead of 100.
Meeko 03:05 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
I remember about 6-7 years ago my center was cited for using 75 watt bulbs instead of 100.
OMG!!!! You're lucky the kids are still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blackcat31 03:15 PM 07-25-2014
OMG!!!! You're lucky the kids are still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure they all have post traumatic stress syndrome now though.
e.j. 03:31 PM 07-25-2014
My state requires us to have exit signs on all doors leading to outside. It might make sense in a larger, public building where maybe the doors don't have glass panes to enable you to see where you are relative to the outside but it makes no sense for me to have to have them in my home. My exit doors are very obvious. They all have windows/glass panels in them so you can see the outside. Even a first time visitor would have to be an absolute moron not to be able to figure out how to get outside without the use of an exit sign. Besides....it's my home. I know where the exits are and so do the kids who are enrolled here. They go in and out those doors every day at drop off and pick up times and when we go outside to play. Also, they're all very young and not one of them can read so what's the point? The best my licensor could come up with was, "The signs are useful if you want to teach the kids how to read the word "Exit".
daycare 03:34 PM 07-25-2014
I cant really think of a ridiculous regulation, I just think the way the licensing interprets all of our regulations is ridiculous........
MissAnn 03:43 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
My state requires us to have exit signs on all doors leading to outside. It might make sense in a larger, public building where maybe the doors don't have glass panes to enable you to see where you are relative to the outside but it makes no sense for me to have to have them in my home. My exit doors are very obvious. They all have windows/glass panels in them so you can see the outside. Even a first time visitor would have to be an absolute moron not to be able to figure out how to get outside without the use of an exit sign. Besides....it's my home. I know where the exits are and so do the kids who are enrolled here. They go in and out those doors every day at drop off and pick up times and when we go outside to play. Also, they're all very young and not one of them can read so what's the point? The best my licensor could come up with was, "The signs are useful if you want to teach the kids how to read the word "Exit".
We have to have the actual emergency lighting that turns on when you lose power.
racemom 03:49 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Our center has to have lighted exit signs at all doors, which I can kind of understand although we are only open 7 am to 530 pm so it isn't dark. The one I don't quite get is the yard gate has to have an exit sign on it. I am sorry but I think even a moron can figure out where to exit the backyard. Our toddlers can, and can't read!

Edited: this is a fire Marshall reg. I don't know if he thinks our backyard is about to burst into flames or what!
MOM OF 4 03:49 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
What would they do if you do not have any kids in diapers .

LysesKids 04:19 PM 07-25-2014
the fact that TN will allow a 750 sq ft ranch home with mold to be licensed (I had it tested before signing a contract to buy), but won't allow a NEW, 784 sq ft energey star, Manufactured home... that is crazy stupid; I even put a 180 sq ft deck on it in December so i had outdoor space for my babies - and yes all my kids are 18 months and under... I only care for 4 or less, but still can't get a license because of the home rule (I have passed every other requirement licensing asks for)
missy 07:20 PM 07-25-2014
There are a lot in PA that I think are just silly. My biggest pet peeve (and I know it's common in other states as well) is that every child needs his or her own personal rest mat. They are vinyl for a REASON, people! They can be cleaned! It's a huge expense for a center.

The main thing about our regs that burns me up is that there are so many that aren't even mentioned in the codes or anywhere! So if you don't call and harass the inspectors with a million random questions you will never know them all. I think the info should be readily available---it would save valuable time and money for both the state and us!
nanglgrl 07:34 PM 07-25-2014
Our center has to have lighted exit signs at all doors, which I can kind of understand although we are only open 7 am to 530 pm so it isn't dark. The one I don't quite get is the yard gate has to have an exit sign on it. I am sorry but I think even a moron can figure out where to exit the backyard. Our toddlers can, and can't read!

Edited: this is a fire Marshall reg. I don't know if he thinks our backyard is about to burst into flames or what!
This made me think of another reg I have a problem with...well several regs really and they all have to do with signs. I have to have no smoking signs on all of the entrances and exits to my home plus I have to have my emergency plan posted right next to every exit and a fire symbol on all of my doors. I'm so glad my doors are magnetic!
nanglgrl 07:51 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
When I first started in daycare (in 2003) I was a registered home. I quit daycare for several years, and started up again 2 years ago. I was going to get registered again, but decided not to after talking with 3 friends who have been providers for years. They had all been registered every year for 10-12 years. Last year they all became unregistered providers. It just wasn't worth it anymore. I'll stay under 6 kids to not have the hassle of the state. I went to enough childcare classes for 4years, and have experience with my own kids. I also read up on child development.

If I ever want to have 6 or more I'll become registered again. I'd like to be a B category, but now wonder if my egress stairs would meet code.

Kelly
I totally understand. Truthfully I would go unregistered if it weren't for the money I get from being Childnet certified and I'm about to get my 4th star from QRS so that's another $800 plus the state pays 60% of my tuition and books for college. I am a B home but don't take school agers so rarely do I have more than 7 children. For the next year I will be transporting my son to/from preschool so I will only have 4 children.
I was registered back in 1996-1999 then quit to go to school and became registered again in 2003. I don't remember there being any regs back in the 90's but now we get more every year while a lot of unlicensed providers have twice as many kids but no over site.
We've had the same thing in our area where a lot of veteran providers have become unregistered (especially after the state started doing the yearly unannounced visits) and the state just doesn't seem to get it. It would be different if the majority of parents wanted registered providers but really they want cheap daycare above all else. They don't care about registration, Childnet certification or QRS stars...most don't even know what those things entail...the first question I get 9/10 times is what my rate is, the second is if they have to pay when they don't come.
As far as your egress meeting code I was able to get away with not putting stairs on the outside by supplying he name of the city inspector that told me if I put stairs out there my window would not meet code. The building code is pretty much the same throughout the country (with a few exceptions) so I'm sure your city's code is similar. This year I will have a new inspector and I'm anxiously waiting to see if she will accept my ladder instead of stairs.
Unregistered 08:01 PM 07-25-2014
The dumbest one here is the one that does not allow the daycare provider's child to leave the designated daycare area with the other parent during childcare hours. "They are subject to the rules to which all of the daycare children are subject" is what we are told.
They also cannot go to their own rooms during daycare hours unless their room is designated as a daycare area.
daycare 09:12 PM 07-25-2014
The dumbest one here is the one that does not allow the daycare provider's child to leave the designated daycare area with the other parent during childcare hours. "They are subject to the rules to which all of the daycare children are subject" is what we are told.
They also cannot go to their own rooms during daycare hours unless their room is designated as a daycare area.
Omg what state are you in
Childminder 09:56 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by :
I think most of the regs in my state are fair and I feel like my state is one of the more "easier" states, with licensing as well as with the Stars program.

The only reg that I don't get is the provider to child ratio. I can have up to 6 by myself and I'm not saying that I would ever want more by myself, but you would think that the ratios would be the same in all states. It's just odd.

One that I don't really like is the number of children that we can have in each age group. We can have 4 under 30 months, but only 2 of the 4 can be under 18 mo. I understand only having 2 under 18 mo., but I'm used to having younger kids and I feel I could handle more than they let you in the 18 to 30 mo. ratio. (if that makes sense).
This is becoming even more crippling to get kids in these age groups what with the free preschool for 3-4 year olds in our district.

One reg that gets me is that we have to have a posted emergency plan for fire emergency, etc... my licensor made me move mine from the hall next to my exit in the basement. Uh, I'm pretty sure these kids can't read it nor would anyone take the time to do so in an emergency if they could read.
SignMeUp 10:13 PM 07-25-2014
We have to post our fire/storm emergency plans too, complete with map. Because I don't know where my doors are. And because infants will check the map before exiting the home
Unregistered 10:16 PM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
Omg what state are you in
Minnesota
Play Care 05:25 AM 07-26-2014
I know in my state the napping regs are similar - I can have kids in the room by themselves sleeping but centers have to have staff in there. Honestly it makes sense - centers have many employees to give each other breaks. Requiring an in home provider to stay in the room would mean one person "working" for 11-12 hours without a break. I still have to physically check on each child every 15 Minutes and have a monitor in the room. Often this is the only time I can use the bathroom or get something to eat
An in home doesn't have the income to put in a sprinkler system, or other center requirements. I'm pretty thankful that our state realizes the significant differences between an in home and centers.
nannyde 05:53 AM 07-26-2014
I don't know your state but the providers need to FIGHT this. Ridiculous
nannyde 05:59 AM 07-26-2014
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I totally understand. Truthfully I would go unregistered if it weren't for the money I get from being Childnet certified and I'm about to get my 4th star from QRS so that's another $800 plus the state pays 60% of my tuition and books for college. I am a B home but don't take school agers so rarely do I have more than 7 children. For the next year I will be transporting my son to/from preschool so I will only have 4 children.
I was registered back in 1996-1999 then quit to go to school and became registered again in 2003. I don't remember there being any regs back in the 90's but now we get more every year while a lot of unlicensed providers have twice as many kids but no over site.
We've had the same thing in our area where a lot of veteran providers have become unregistered (especially after the state started doing the yearly unannounced visits) and the state just doesn't seem to get it. It would be different if the majority of parents wanted registered providers but really they want cheap daycare above all else. They don't care about registration, Childnet certification or QRS stars...most don't even know what those things entail...the first question I get 9/10 times is what my rate is, the second is if they have to pay when they don't come.
As far as your egress meeting code I was able to get away with not putting stairs on the outside by supplying he name of the city inspector that told me if I put stairs out there my window would not meet code. The building code is pretty much the same throughout the country (with a few exceptions) so I'm sure your city's code is similar. This year I will have a new inspector and I'm anxiously waiting to see if she will accept my ladder instead of stairs.
I started in Iowa in 93 and there were regs. They haven't changed a ton. I think they have changed four times.

Nan I don't think you are right thinking on the unregistered. I think the state would prefer unregistered. That's why the number of kids is so high. They now must do a yearly visit so they don't want the number of registered to exceed the number the few inspectors can visit.

There is a lot of value in being unregistered.
Laurel 06:30 AM 07-26-2014
Because we want a world of only special snowflakes? Get ready kindergarten....here we come! A whole blizzard of special snowflakes. You are welcome.
a whole blizzard of special snowflakes.....

Laurel
nannyde 06:45 AM 07-26-2014
Snowflake Snowmageddon
melilley 08:33 AM 07-26-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
This is becoming even more crippling to get kids in these age groups what with the free preschool for 3-4 year olds in our district.

One reg that gets me is that we have to have a posted emergency plan for fire emergency, etc... my licensor made me move mine from the hall next to my exit in the basement. Uh, I'm pretty sure these kids can't read it nor would anyone take the time to do so in an emergency if they could read.
Yep, and as soon as they hit 3, they're outta here. I just opened 1.5 years ago and have lost 1 and am losing 1 in August to preschool. When the first child left, it took me forever to find a child to take his place because of the age restriction and the only reason I found someone, 3 months later, was because a child aged up and I was able to take an infant. I rarely get calls for 3 and up.
I do prefer the 3 and under group and am lucky enough to have a dh who makes enough money so I don't have to worry if one spot is open, but I feel sorry for those providers that don't have that luxury.
racemom 09:53 AM 07-26-2014
I know in my state the napping regs are similar - I can have kids in the room by themselves sleeping but centers have to have staff in there. Honestly it makes sense - centers have many employees to give each other breaks. Requiring an in home provider to stay in the room would mean one person "working" for 11-12 hours without a break. I still have to physically check on each child every 15 Minutes and have a monitor in the room. Often this is the only time I can use the bathroom or get something to eat
An in home doesn't have the income to put in a sprinkler system, or other center requirements. I'm pretty thankful that our state realizes the significant differences between an in home and centers.
that may be true in large centers but I work in a small center so we do not get breaks. We can find someone to cover our room for a quick restroom break, but that means another room is out of ratio so it has to be quick. Other than that we can't be away from our group at all. I eat lunch during nap watching them sleep.
SignMeUp 10:09 AM 07-26-2014
that may be true in large centers but I work in a small center so we do not get breaks. We can find someone to cover our room for a quick restroom break, but that means another room is out of ratio so it has to be quick. Other than that we can't be away from our group at all. I eat lunch during nap watching them sleep.
But presumably you don't work 10-12 hours at a stretch, right? Not saying that it's not difficult doing what you're doing, at all -- I would rather work my long hours than have to do what someone else thinks will work, for example.

But aren't they required to give you breaks after so many hours? And a lunch break?
Play Care 10:50 AM 07-26-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
But presumably you don't work 10-12 hours at a stretch, right? Not saying that it's not difficult doing what you're doing, at all -- I would rather work my long hours than have to do what someone else thinks will work, for example.

But aren't they required to give you breaks after so many hours? And a lunch break?

The only plus I could see to working outside the home in a center would be that it would be more like a "real" job in that you get lunch, breaks, health insurance, vacation time, etc. If that wasn't the case, I couldn't justify staying there to work.

In my state we are never allowed to be out of ratio - even for a moment. I'd be a bit weary of working in a place that didn't have protocols or staff in place to deal with that. I have a feeling the director would let the staff be the "fall" guy if licensing were to show up...
Bookworm 11:06 AM 07-26-2014

The only plus I could see to working outside the home in a center would be that it would be more like a "real" job in that you get lunch, breaks, health insurance, vacation time, etc. If that wasn't the case, I couldn't justify staying there to work.

In my state we are never allowed to be out of ratio - even for a moment. I'd be a bit weary of working in a place that didn't have protocols or staff in place to deal with that. I have a feeling the director would let the staff be the "fall" guy if licensing were to show up...
Yes, the Director would be the fall guy if we were out if ratio because it is considered a staffing issue and staffing is the Director's responsibility.
SignMeUp 11:53 AM 07-26-2014

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. But it sounds like it wasn't/isn't the case for the previous poster.
racemom 03:06 PM 07-26-2014

Wow this seems harsh. Even our licensing rep understands everyone has to pee occasionally so if your room is napping and a staff member is present she will not write us up for going to the bathroom. And yes it would be the director to be cited not staff here. Although I am proud to say our center has always received excellent ratings so we have never been non compliant on anything.
MOM OF 4 03:18 PM 07-26-2014
We have to post our fire/storm emergency plans too, complete with map. Because I don't know where my doors are. And because infants will check the map before exiting the home
LOL We had to do that too.
Blackcat31 05:35 PM 07-26-2014
Minnesota
I am in Minnesota. I've been licensed for two decades.

That is not a state rule that I have ever read.

Can you link me the section it says that in?

It may be a county rule but I've never read or heard anything like that in our state regulations.
SignMeUp 05:39 PM 07-26-2014
I am in Minnesota. I've been licensed for two decades.

That is not a state rule that I have ever read.

Can you link me the section it says that in?

It may be a county rule but I've never read or heard anything like that in our state regulations.
That is enforced in Hennepin, BlackCat. No clue where it is in writing, but we have been told. And I believe it was in the county daycare newsletter back when they still did one. Hennepin does a lot of "interpretation" of the rules/laws. It's a real problem for providers.
Blackcat31 05:47 PM 07-26-2014
That is enforced in Hennepin, BlackCat. No clue where it is in writing, but we have been told. And I believe it was in the county daycare newsletter back when they still did one. Hennepin does a lot of "interpretation" of the rules/laws. It's a real problem for providers.
Whew! I was like I've never read that so I was hoping/guessing it was a county thing not state.

Thank goodness.

Sucks for those of you in Hennepin county area.
SignMeUp 05:52 PM 07-26-2014
Whew! I was like I've never read that so I was hoping/guessing it was a county thing not state.

Thank goodness.

Sucks for those of you in Hennepin county area.
Constantly.
I just looked back in the three newsletters that are online, but it's not in there. It was most likely in one of the "supervision" trainings. Does your county do newsletters to keep you updated on changes?
Play Care 06:03 PM 07-26-2014
Wow this seems harsh. Even our licensing rep understands everyone has to pee occasionally so if your room is napping and a staff member is present she will not write us up for going to the bathroom. And yes it would be the director to be cited not staff here. Although I am proud to say our center has always received excellent ratings so we have never been non compliant on anything.
Not really - I think licensing thinks that centers should have the staff to accommodate bathroom breaks (not that people can't use the bathroom ) Most centers in my area deal with this by making sure all staff are also cleared to be in the classroom. A center I worked at in college had the cook come in to cover, but it's not unheard of to have the bus driver or office lady in the rooms either.
NightOwl 06:07 PM 07-26-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Snowflake Snowmageddon
Snowmageddon! That made me literally
NightOwl 06:14 PM 07-26-2014
The thing that bugs me in Alabama is the very loose interpretation allowed for our regulations by the dhr reps. Can providers or centers interpret the regs? Nooooo ma'am. So I feel like it's a guessing game half the time. Does a reg that states "abc must be out of children's reach" mean it must be up high? That's what you'd think right? They can come in and say "no, abc needs to be locked. That's what that reg REALLY means by 'out of reach'".
racemom 06:26 PM 07-26-2014
Not really - I think licensing thinks that centers should have the staff to accommodate bathroom breaks (not that people can't use the bathroom ) Most centers in my area deal with this by making sure all staff are also cleared to be in the classroom. A center I worked at in college had the cook come in to cover, but it's not unheard of to have the bus driver or office lady in the rooms either.
Yes but you are thinking of large centers we only have 4 or 5 staff at a time depending on our numbers for the day. Being small we don't have cooks, bus drivers or office personnel.

Edited: my original thought behind this was are kids safer napping alone in a home daycare than a center? Not to debate whether we should have staff to cover breaks or not, and I am sorry I even brought it up.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 07-27-2014
Constantly.
I just looked back in the three newsletters that are online, but it's not in there. It was most likely in one of the "supervision" trainings. Does your county do newsletters to keep you updated on changes?
Yes, we get regular monthly newsletter e-mails from our licensor but my county doesn't have any rules/regulations the state doesn't have.

Thankfully.
nanglgrl 08:03 AM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I started in Iowa in 93 and there were regs. They haven't changed a ton. I think they have changed four times.

Nan I don't think you are right thinking on the unregistered. I think the state would prefer unregistered. That's why the number of kids is so high. They now must do a yearly visit so they don't want the number of registered to exceed the number the few inspectors can visit.

There is a lot of value in being unregistered.
I agree with you completely Nan. Do you think thT in the 90's they just didn't enforce or care about regs as much? Maybe it's just my bad memory but I remember daycare being a lot like babysitting back then with no over site unless they received a complaint against you.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:11 AM 07-27-2014
I am licensed for 8 kids: 6 preschoolers and 2 school-aged kids. But my home-schooled daughter (and any home-schooled kids I might chose to enroll) count in the 6 kids, not as school-agers--no matter how old they are. That's ridiculous! All summer long and snow days and school closings it's fine to have school-agers all day long, but somehow doing it at other times it will suddenly become unmanageable?
Annalee 11:09 AM 07-27-2014
Regulations when I started in 1992 consisted of 2 unannounced visits from licensing with hardly any count of children in my care....Fast Forward to 2001 when QRIS comes into play and with no stars, a providers gets 6 unannounced visits a year one announced from licensing...2 visits from health/environment, 1 visit from fire martial, 4 visits from food program...and recently we have been told reliability checks can possibly happen meaning someone can come behind licensing to check if they are doing their job....This is in addition to the annual ASSESSMENT REPORT CARD! If you receive the highest 3 stars, you get 3 unannounced visits one announced licensing visit per year.....the other visits from health/food/fire remain the same....I do see this getting more and more.....I have rolled with it for 22 years and will continue to roll, but I still feel some of this is kind of monotonous.
preschoolteacher 12:56 PM 07-27-2014
Yes, I'm in this county and this rule is enforced. So my son can never go in non-daycare rooms with my husband during daycare hours. And on top of that, I was told that if it's a normally scheduled work day for me but all my kids are absent, I still must remain in the licensed daycare parts of my house with my son although he'd be the only kid here.

Ridiculous!!!
SignMeUp 01:42 PM 07-27-2014
Yes, we get regular monthly newsletter e-mails from our licensor but my county doesn't have any rules/regulations the state doesn't have.

Thankfully.
Ours says it has a newsletter. It used to be quarterly. The last one was March 2013. There were two in 2012. I believe at some point, someone said that since we are businesses, it is our job to keep up with new information, not their job to tell us about it.
Also, where some of the stuff we are now required to do, comes from state laws, but it's stuff that is scattered all throughout ALL of the statutes, and they have now decided to apply it to child care providers, because we are businesses.
LysesKids 03:12 PM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
Yes, I'm in this county and this rule is enforced. So my son can never go in non-daycare rooms with my husband during daycare hours. And on top of that, I was told that if it's a normally scheduled work day for me but all my kids are absent, I still must remain in the licensed daycare parts of my house with my son although he'd be the only kid here.

Ridiculous!!!
Yeah... that would never fly with me; glad I don't live there, however I did consider a few years ago when visiting Fargo, ND. The fact you have to be licensed for one kid cancelled that idea immediately
SignMeUp 03:35 PM 07-27-2014

Ridiculous!!!

And that's what I call "jumped the shark"
SignMeUp 03:37 PM 07-27-2014
My least favorite part over-all is the way they enforce these things with NO explanation. Maybe there's a reason. Maybe something happened somewhere that caused this regulation.

If so, TELL US. EXPLAIN. We are adults; we can handle it. And it's developmentally appropriate
NightOwl 04:02 PM 07-27-2014
Oh we also have the no broom on the floor thing. Also, the mop. Lol. So stupid...
Angelsj 05:27 PM 07-27-2014

Ridiculous!!!
I am so glad my licensor doesn't try this crap. I would be so done! I would be taking that to the highest levels.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:03 PM 07-27-2014
I was told that if it's a normally scheduled work day for me but all my kids are absent, I still must remain in the licensed daycare parts of my house with my son although he'd be the only kid here.

Ridiculous!!!
Ok, that's insane. I thought mine was bad, but it's nothing compared to that.
Meeko 08:09 PM 07-27-2014
Originally Posted by MOM OF 4:
We only have to do it if we have kids in diapers.

Still makes me mad, as the inspector is barely out of diapers herself...
Tags:regulations, regulations - crazy
1 2 
Reply Up