Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK Just Kicked My Puppy!
wdmmom 12:50 PM 02-24-2012
I have a DCB age 3. He started last October. I have 2 dogs. A golden retriever that is the friendliest dog ever and our new puppy that just joined us 2 weeks ago.

I had a couple of minor issues previously with my bigger dog and this DCB. Knowing that he's only been around dogs when he is at grandma's, I separated the dog from the kids and we discussed that you need to be nice to the animals.

Literally 10 minutes before he was suppose to be picked up, I changed his pants, got his coat on and he went up to my puppy and kicked him. The dog yelped and ran away limping!

I sat DCB down and asked why he would do that. Of course, I get the same usual response I always get, a whole lot of whining and "I want mommy".

DCD picks up. I told him that he is crying and sitting because he kicked the puppy. I specifically tell DCD that if this doesn't STOP, he can't come here anymore. I just spent $650 on this puppy. I don't want anyone kicking it. Especially this kid! DCD says, "Ok, thanks for telling me. C'mon (name). Time to go."

I am so sick of these parents treating their kid like he is an infant. Their answer to everything is a hug.

What would you do? I know emotions are running high right now. So do I just wait and see if they come back on Monday or do I call DCM later on and discuss this. I have a 1 week deposit on file and they paid today for next week. Even if they leave, I've been paid 2 weeks.
MyAngels 12:56 PM 02-24-2012
I would not allow that to continue at all, for any reason. On the rare occasion that I had a problem with one of my dcks with my dogs I handled it swiftly and sternly and it stopped right away. I don't ever remember having to involved any of the parents, but I would if I didn't feel that it would stop immediately.

There is absolutely no reason, at all, for a child to purposely hurt an animal.
Meeko 01:02 PM 02-24-2012
That would be an INSTANT term for me. My dogs are part of my family. Nobody kicks my family.
wdmmom 01:08 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
That would be an INSTANT term for me. My dogs are part of my family. Nobody kicks my family.
That's what I'm sayin. These guys are my "babies!"
laundrymom 01:12 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
That's what I'm sayin. These guys are my "babies!"
As far as I'm concerned, my dog is the only one of my kids I got to pick out!!!! Hurt him, leave. Period.
Kaddidle Care 01:43 PM 02-24-2012
You need to protect your puppy and keep the littles away from it unless you are right there on top of the situation. While this situation sounds like he meant it, children can hurt a puppy even when they don't. Accidents happen.

A neighbor had to have her beagle PTS because she allowed the dog in the basement unsupervised with children and found out that one child, who does not have animals was hopping up and down on the dog's back. It injured the dog beyond repair. The dog owner blames the child, I do not.

You've had issues with this boy already, do not let this happen again. He doesn't get to be near the puppy any more. Baby gates or crate.

The last thing you need when running a home Daycare is a dog that is afraid of children. A dog that is afraid is more apt to bite.

My son was 5 when I brought home our Golden pup and he was not allowed to be alone with the pup AT ALL. But with my supervision, he actually helped train the puppy.
Tags:abuse, animals, bad behavior, pets in daycare
Reply Up