Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playing At The Table During Meals
WImom 11:35 AM 02-07-2011
I have a few kids that continue to play at the table during meal times. They hit forks with others like swords and play with their forks/spoons in their milk cups, etc. I also have a boy that likes to "touch someone with his fork and say 'poke'.

They are all 2.5-4y. It seems when one does it they all do it.

What would you do in this case?

Now for snacks, I have no problem with them lining their crackers up in rows or sorting them on their napkin so how do I have a rule a lunch about playing but not at snack? I figure at snack it's also learning.
lvt77 11:41 AM 02-07-2011
how many tables do you have in your house for eating at?
misol 12:16 PM 02-07-2011
After about 2 warnings that the kitchen is not a play area, I would tell them that since they are still playing then they must be finished so I am coming to collect plates. That usually gets mine to stop. If it continues, I remove the ring leader (there usually is one) from the table and he/she will be allowed to finish his meal only after the others are done eating. There was only one time I've ever had to do this and now just the threat of it calms everyone immediately.
kitkat 02:11 PM 02-07-2011
I do exactly what Misol said.
lvt77 02:24 PM 02-07-2011
so here is waht I do:

i have two tables. one is my baby table and the other is my big kids table.

my kids range from 2.5 to 5

For those that can sit and use proper table manners, they get to sit at the big kid table and have story time while eating.

for those that cannot, they have to sit at the baby table in booster seats, seated far away from each other and cannot look at the book as I read it. they have to see my back.

if at any time any of the kids act at the big kid table, then they will lose theh story and have to sit at the baby table.

I hardly ever have kids sitting at the baby table anymore.

once they go to the baby table they are there for the rest of the day.
they will get a second chance the next day at their first meal....
lvt77 02:25 PM 02-07-2011
so here is waht I do:

For those that can sit and use proper table manners, they get to sit at the big kid table and have story time while eating.

for those that cannot, they have to sit at the baby table in booster seats, seated far away from each other and cannot look at the book as I read it. they have to see my back.

if at any time any of the kids act up at the big kid table, then they will lose the story and have to sit at the baby table. they hate it..

Cat Herder 02:28 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I have a few kids that continue to play at the table during meal times. They hit forks with others like swords and play with their forks/spoons in their milk cups, etc.

They play with it, they lose it. No toys at the table. You can give them a cup of water after their meal if you like.

I also have a boy that likes to "touch someone with his fork and say 'poke'.

No toys at the table. If he is using it as a toy, he loses it.

They are all 2.5-4y. It seems when one does it they all do it.

What would you do in this case?

Same rules for everyone, No toys at the table.

Now for snacks, I have no problem with them lining their crackers up in rows or sorting them on their napkin so how do I have a rule a lunch about playing but not at snack? I figure at snack it's also learning.

IMHO, food served at the table is food served at the table and the same rules MUST ALWAYS apply. I am sure you have sorting toys for that? Just not at the table.....
That is my take on it....
snbauser 02:54 PM 02-07-2011
Playing at the tables = loss of plates....period.

They learn pretty quickly that if they are hungry, they better eat. We will usually warn them once or twice but after that, they are done.
WImom 06:15 PM 02-07-2011
Okay, I thought I'd ask first too see if I was being too strict but this is what I what I have been doing. I've taken away after two warnings twice now but they seem to still do it. (Slow learners I guess).

Glad I'm doing the same thing. I also remind them right when we sit down to eat.
ninosqueridos 06:21 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I also remind them right when we sit down to eat.
I find when I remind them of bad behaviors BEFORE they even start on that particular day, it just reminds them to DO the behavior....so I stopped reminders. I give one warning, not two. The fork stabber/poker would get no warning. I have gotten stricter and stricter with mealtimes...my group works like yours.....when one gets started, all the others follow.
safechner 06:34 PM 02-07-2011
I would never allowed my daycare kids to have fork for lunch unless they learned how to manner on the table. Most of time I do give them spoon to eat lunch. That is my thing because I never, never, never forget what happened to me when I was a child. One of my friend and I were playing fork and foods. One little boy threw the fork to my arm and it stuck. I screamed because it hurts. My mother just pulled it off from my arm. It was horrible so that is why I never forget.

My advice to give the kids spoon to eat their lunch. It is better than sorry.
SandeeAR 06:46 PM 02-07-2011
Not necessarily slow learners....It's just that they get to do what they want most of the time at home. If they had the same rules at home that most of them have in Daycare, they would behave better for us.
WImom 04:13 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Not necessarily slow learners....It's just that they get to do what they want most of the time at home. If they had the same rules at home that most of them have in Daycare, they would behave better for us.
You know your totally right. The two that are usually doing this are ALWAYS playing when we are trying to get dressed to go outside, when washing hands, eating, etc. Everything is a game. They are so much better than when they first started but it took awhile.

I use zoopals plastic forks and spoons so I don't have to worry about the fork problem. But OUCH for you!!
mickey2 04:26 AM 02-08-2011
I take their food away and they are DONE. Nap time!

I feed them all around my dining table.

If the fooling around continues they eat alone at a different table.

I have a dcg 4 who eats by herself everyday. She is close to the group but not facing the group. I have tried numerous times to have her eat with the rest of the kiddies but she gets everyone going every time I try so now she eats alone.

Better than having kids choking on their food because they are laughing at every silly thing this child does.
countrymom 05:23 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
so here is waht I do:

if at any time any of the kids act at the big kid table, then they will lose theh story and have to sit at the baby table.

thats what I do too, works great, no one ever wants to sit with the babies.
Tags:table manners
Reply Up