Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inviting DCKs To Your Child's Bday??
SunflowerMama 11:11 AM 12-30-2010
So our twin girls will be turning 4 soon and we're trying to decide what is the best way to handle the dcks. I have 1 younger dck (18 months) and the rest are around the girls' age (3-4.5) and they are definitely close to 2 of the dcgs that are their same age.

Do you invite dcks to your kids' birthday parties? Our girl only have 2 or 3 friends that will be invited (outside of the dcks) and the only family members will be my parents. So if we invited the 6 dcks it would make a nicer size party but don't know what other people usually do. For their bday last year I had just opened so it wasn't an issue. I just don't know if people invite all or none of the dcks or just the ones closest in age.

What does everyone else do? Thanks for any advice!!
DanceMom 11:13 AM 12-30-2010
My kids are around the same age of all my dck's but I do not invite them to birthdays and they do not invite my kids to theirs. I keep the relationship with my dc families business only. I dont want to cross that line with them.

ETA to add : I do have birthday parties for all dck's and my kids - during daycare hours - cakes, decorations , presents etc. I just do not invite them to our family/friends party on the weekend.
DCMomOf3 11:15 AM 12-30-2010
I invite dcks only if my kids ask me to. I've had DCKs at our parties and we've gone to DCK bday parties too. If you get along, why not?
CKSher 11:22 AM 12-30-2010
My son is also turning 4 on Jan 3rd. I did invite all of my daycare kids this year and last. We do our party at the playspace in a local bowling alley though, so I have no mess to clean up aftwards! If I did it in my home, I would probably limit the # of kids I invited.
SunflowerMama 11:24 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I invite dcks only if my kids ask me to. I've had DCKs at our parties and we've gone to DCK bday parties too. If you get along, why not?
That's what I think and they've been to one of dcg's house for playdates iand we've been invited to her party. I get along with all my dc parents I just don't know if I should invite everyone or just the kids that my girls are closest with. I also don't want parents to feel obligated to come since I watch their kids . We also ask for no gifts and this year are going to put something on the invitation if people really want to get a gift we're taking donations in the form of art supplies and giving them to the local womens/child shelter. So the parents won't feel obligated to spend $ if that were an issue for anyone.
Rachel 10:07 PM 12-30-2010
I had a party for my kids last year during daycare hours. A lot of the friends are the same (dck and my kids were in the same preschool), so a good time was had by all.
QualiTcare 12:27 AM 12-31-2010
do you go to THEIR kid's parties? i do think they'd feel a little obligated if you invited them especially if you did go to theirs. i think if you haven't gone to their parties yet, and they go to yours - you'll be expected to come to theirs. do you intend to go to all of their parties?

it depends on the situation. if you go to the dck's parties, i'd think it would be fine to give personal invitations to yours. if you DON'T go to theirs and don't intend to - i'd probably just put a sign up like one big invitation on the door - that way nobody feels obligated, but everyone knows - and if they want to, they'll come. just keep in mind - if they come to yours, they'll probably expect you to come to theirs.

i've typically never invited people to my children's parties except for children they specifically requested and family members. let's face it - people don't want to go to kid's parties or spend money "just because" and if they do go "just because" you'll be expected to return the favor. it's human nature.
alyssyn 05:36 AM 12-31-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
My kids are around the same age of all my dck's but I do not invite them to birthdays and they do not invite my kids to theirs. I keep the relationship with my dc families business only. I dont want to cross that line with them.

ETA to add : I do have birthday parties for all dck's and my kids - during daycare hours - cakes, decorations , presents etc. I just do not invite them to our family/friends party on the weekend.
Yes, ditto. I don't want to cross that line either. For me, I just like to keep it business so on down the road maybe they wont ask for special favors since we've become "such good friends".
MarinaVanessa 06:52 AM 12-31-2010
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Me too. She sees the DC kids as friends and if she wants to invite them then she can. The only thing I have said to her is that it's everyone or noone. I wouldn't want anyone to feel singled out or targeted because they didn't get invited.
Abigail 01:29 PM 01-02-2011
Wow, I never got a "real party" until I was older. I was school age, probably first grade since I did only half day Kindergarten. My parties were always family. I wouldn't invite daycare kids for my kids (when I do have kids someday) because I want to keep work and home separate and just have some family time. Also, when daycare opens again I wouldn't want some kids talking about the party when others were not there. I can just imagine a disaster. I will celebrate small parties during daycare hours for all the kids, including my own so that is where the gaps are filled.
melissa ann 02:06 PM 01-02-2011
I don't invite dck to my kids b-day parties. I do have a party during the day to celebrate a b-day, whether its my own or the dck. I see the dcks over 45 hrs/week. That is enough: )
Tags:party, provider children
Reply Up