Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Chair tipping
KEG123 10:13 AM 02-02-2012
HOW do I get my 3 year old dcb to STOP tipping his chair while eating? It's driving me INSANE. Right now, we're eating at the big table with boosters. Soon I'll be getting a child sized table, that may or may not solve the problem. BUT what should I do now? I'm afraid he's gonna fall over backwards and hit his head. Let him learn the hard way? And I'm SICK of repeating myself, "Stop tipping your chair" "feet down" blah blah blah. Short of having him come into the kitchen and sit on the floor, I'm at a loss!
snbauser 10:21 AM 02-02-2012
Here I tell them twice. After that they lose the chair. My rule - If you can't sit safely in the chair, then you can't use the chair.
meganlavonnesmommy 10:22 AM 02-02-2012
Make him get down from the table each time he tips the chair, and sit on the floor for a minute or two, then allow him to sit at the table again.
He will learn.
MsMe 10:23 AM 02-02-2012
you tip our chair...you don't get a chair.

Yes, you should make him sit on the floor, he will learn.
JenNJ 10:25 AM 02-02-2012
He needs to sit on the floor for safety sake. I do NOT play around with that. Not only could he get hurt by falling, he could choke. SUPER DANGEROUS. I would have him eat on the floor for a week. On Monday, he gets a chance at a chair again. If he tips it, he is on the floor until next Monday. Rinse & repeat.
KEG123 10:30 AM 02-02-2012
Yeah, the past week I've been getting fed up with it. He's always done it, and before this week I just reminded him about 20x per meal. Finally, starting monday, we start the meal at the table, I give him 1 warning and then if he does it again (he always does) I make him sit on the floor the remainder of the meal. So far it's not sinking in. I was hoping you all would tell me to do something I haven't tried yet.
KEG123 10:33 AM 02-02-2012
And then, just now, he was sitting on the floor acting goofy while he should have been eating. Warned him twice, "It's eating time, not silly time." and he kept on, so I sent him to bed and now he's laying in his bed crying/yelling at me.

Is it Friday yet?
wahmof3 10:33 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
HOW do I get my 3 year old dcb to STOP tipping his chair while eating? It's driving me INSANE. Right now, we're eating at the big table with boosters. Soon I'll be getting a child sized table, that may or may not solve the problem. BUT what should I do now? I'm afraid he's gonna fall over backwards and hit his head. Let him learn the hard way? And I'm SICK of repeating myself, "Stop tipping your chair" "feet down" blah blah blah. Short of having him come into the kitchen and sit on the floor, I'm at a loss!
Child size table probably won't make a difference. My DCK all tip back in my child size chairs. Its to the point where chairs are removed & if they want to color etc they have to stand at the table. They get a warning & the next time they lose their privilege of using the chair.

Good luck! I've been battling this for a while now. Some days I feel like a broken record.
KEG123 10:34 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Child size table probably won't make a difference. My DCK all tip back in my child size chairs. Its to the point where chairs are removed & if they want to color etc they have to stand at the table. They get a warning & the next time they lose their privilege of using the chair.

Good luck! I've been battling this for a while now. Some days I feel like a broken record.
I am a broken record player too. Oh wait, I mean, child care provider. LOL
MsMe 10:36 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
And then, just now, he was sitting on the floor acting goofy while he should have been eating. Warned him twice, "It's eating time, not silly time." and he kept on, so I sent him to bed and now he's laying in his bed crying/yelling at me.

Is it Friday yet?
UGH you too? I have a few who yell at me when they have been told not to do something, I am at my whits end with these rouwdy boy I have!
Heidi 10:48 AM 02-02-2012
I say warn him once, kindly, and the next time, he just plain gets excused. I wouldn't even let him sit on the floor.

"When you act like that, you are showing me you are done eating. You may be excused"
WImom 11:04 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Here I tell them twice. After that they lose the chair. My rule - If you can't sit safely in the chair, then you can't use the chair.
Same here. They stand for the rest of the meal/project, etc.
Reply Up