Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher Appreciation Week
Unregistered 06:36 PM 04-13-2010
Teacher appreciation week is fast approaching and as a director I feel very uncomfortable sending a letter home to parents asking them to take part in TAW by sending gifts or sending in food for a luncheon. Is there any nice way to explain to them what it is without sounding like you telling them they have to do something for the teachers. It should really be their option if they want to do something .
Chickenhauler 03:34 AM 04-14-2010
If you send out a letter or bring it to their attention and they are guilted into doing something, do they really appreciate you?

If they appreciate you, they show this all year long, with the little things here and there.
originalkat 07:05 AM 04-14-2010
I dont think there is anything wrong with sending a note home. How are they supposed to know if you dont tell them! Since you are the director you can write a little something great about how wonderful your teachers are and then fill the parents in on how to help celebrate during teacher appreciation week. Make a sign-up sheet to bring things so if some dont want to participate then they dont have to. I also worked in centers where the director gave us a special trinket or treat or teacher poem each day of the week. It was so thoughtful and meant a lot.
momma2girls 08:03 AM 04-14-2010
Can I ask when the Teacher APpreciation week is?
Thanks!
misol 10:36 AM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Can I ask when the Teacher APpreciation week is?
Thanks!
When my children were in a center, the daycare just posted a sign on the parent baord that said something like "Don't forget that next week is Teacher Appreciation Week" in big bold letters.

It makes the aware but also there is no pressure. The parents that chose not to participate are not singled out.
DBug 11:38 AM 04-14-2010
My two cents -- asking/telling parents to appreciate the teachers isn't something I'd do. It's like telling someone they HAVE to get you a birthday present. I'd do up the usual monthly newsletter or even a special letter with an open letter to the teachers, thanking them on behalf of the daycare, the kids and the parents. I'd point out specific special things they do for the kids, cute things the kids have said about them, etc.

The teachers would see it as sincere praise (which is always more meaningful when it's shared publicly), and the parents might gain some insight into how much work the teachers really do -- and then be able to actually appreciate them on their own (without being told to).
momma2girls 11:41 AM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
My two cents -- asking/telling parents to appreciate the teachers isn't something I'd do. It's like telling someone they HAVE to get you a birthday present. I'd do up the usual monthly newsletter or even a special letter with an open letter to the teachers, thanking them on behalf of the daycare, the kids and the parents. I'd point out specific special things they do for the kids, cute things the kids have said about them, etc.

The teachers would see it as sincere praise (which is always more meaningful when it's shared publicly), and the parents might gain some insight into how much work the teachers really do -- and then be able to actually appreciate them on their own (without being told to).
Can I ask if anyone knows when the teacher's appreciation week is?
THanks!!
DBug 11:48 AM 04-14-2010
Googled it and found this:

Traditionally, the Tuesday of the first full week of May is the National Teacher Day in the USA.

Hope that helps!
Liliya 12:12 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Can I ask if anyone knows when the teacher's appreciation week is?
THanks!!
Provider Appreciation Day is appropriately celebrated each year on the Friday before Mother's Day. May 7,this year.

I would never remind parents or say something about that day.

I am doing child care for 3 years now and two years ago,one of my DCB mom,got me a gift and card on that day,she said: I heard on a radio that today is Provider's Appreciation Day,( I had no idea that there is day like that)
I cried,it was very nice of her,plus I had my assessment lady here at that time and she had tears in her eyes too.
Unregistered 02:01 PM 04-19-2013
Teacher Appreciation week id May 6 - May 10, 2013
Tags:provider appreciation day, teacher appreciation
Reply Up