Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 And A Half Months In And Ready To Close
Akd2016 08:42 AM 01-08-2017
Hi all! I opened my daycare on Nov 7 of 2016 and I'm so ready to go back to my old job. Since opening, I have had 3 families leave because I enforced my policies. The 2 families I have left are both state aid cases ( they pay a weekly copay that is only 20% of what they would normally owe per week/ state only pays once a month) the only in queries in receive are from people wanting part time care and or drop in care. On top of that, the 3 year old boy and 2 year old girl I have in care are little terrors, they're not made to mind at home so it's ever so much fun at daycare. and honestly, I don't feel like I'm giving my kids the best of me. I have 2 daughters age 5 and 3 and a 9 month old son. I'm exhausted all the time and dread the week ahead. I feel like I have put my family in a bind financially by doing this. My hu is very supportive, he wants me to stick it out till spring. I'm honestly just wanting to go back to my factory job where I was making almost $17 an hour and had great insurance. I would have to work grave yard, but at least I would be bringing in a steady income. I have never worked so hard for so little before in my whole life and I've worked at an embroidery shop which is one small step away from a sweat shop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ColorfulSunburst 12:47 PM 01-08-2017
I think it is not a good idea to give up after a couple months anyways.
But you have to remember that as an owner of a business you always will work much harder than as an employee. If you are not ready for that you have to stop right now. If you want to earn in two times more than $17 per hour, you have to be ready to work strong, be creative, make short term and long term plans, produce ideas, be ready to make mistakes and fix them...and much much more. During some period of time, you must work for your business and then your business will work for you. But you have to remember it can not happen after two months of being in business. It will take more time, much more.
Blackcat31 03:29 PM 01-08-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I think it is not a good idea to give up after a couple months anyways.
But you have to remember that as an owner of a business you always will work much harder than as an employee. If you are not ready for that you have to stop right now. If you want to earn in two times more than $17 per hour, you have to be ready to work strong, be creative, make short term and long term plans, produce ideas, be ready to make mistakes and fix them...and much much more. During some period of time, you must work for your business and then your business will work for you. But you have to remember it can not happen after two months of being in business. It will take more time, much more.
^^^^ This!!! a hundred times to the bolded!
Akd2016 05:05 PM 01-08-2017
I appreciate the input. My fear though is we're not how should I say financially stable. It takes both of us earning to make it. I'm not sure if we can wait much longer and risk getting behind financially. I think I'll give it till spring and decide. Bad part of being out here in a rural area is just because your licensed doesn't mean people will take you seriously. For every licensed provider there is about 10 unlicensed people who will do my job at half the cost. Plus for some reason alot of parents are willing to risk it just to save a few bucks on their child care expenses.
ColorfulSunburst 06:02 PM 01-08-2017
Originally Posted by Akd2016:
I appreciate the input. My fear though is we're not how should I say financially stable. It takes both of us earning to make it. I'm not sure if we can wait much longer and risk getting behind financially. I think I'll give it till spring and decide. Bad part of being out here in a rural area is just because your licensed doesn't mean people will take you seriously. For every licensed provider there is about 10 unlicensed people who will do my job at half the cost. Plus for some reason alot of parents are willing to risk it just to save a few bucks on their child care expenses.
I would recommend do it until September if it is possible Most of the enrolments happen during July-August. Spring is a pretty quiet time and even can be worse because of the loss the current customers for many different reasons (vacations, changing jobs, moving to other places)
Ariana 09:03 AM 01-09-2017

You have been given great advice already! I just wanted to say that we have all been here multiple times. It is a stressful job but it can be very rewarding when you get it working for you. Hang in there, try to think positively and start advergising like crazy to get new families in.

Best of luck
laundrymom 09:24 AM 01-09-2017
Great advice given already and just remember,
For every ten who will pay half for crap care, there is one who will pay double for quality. You have to find them and market yourself for that.
Reply Up