Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Asking For Supplies/Tax Write Offs
Country Kids 09:42 AM 11-02-2012
How do you ask for them?

Blackcats little stash pile got me to thinking that it would be nice to ask the parents for help (especially in the kleenex) department. It would be nice for the wipes to but not sure what we would use them for (after painting would work).

Anyway, I just picture my parents thinking "We pay all this money to you and you still want us to supply additional items?" Not sure how this would go over with them.

Also, why not put out the extra money-buy a couple items a week and then write it off on taxes. Wouldn't that be better?
daycare 09:53 AM 11-02-2012
I ask for supplies at the start of each preschool year....

• 1 box of 12 pack or more Crayons
• 1 box of 10 pack or more Washable Markers
• water colors
• Colored construction paper
• Egg cartons any size
• Pipe Cleaners, any color
• Glass jars with lids, any size
• Plastic bottles with lids, any size
• Coffee Can or can similar
• 1 box Large Ziploc baggies (for carrying our precious creations home!)
• Glue sticks
• 1 package of wet wipes
• Elmer's Glue bottles

Your help in donating the above listed supplies is greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I am not picky, however, please make sure all items are toxic free! I would happily take new or gently used boxes of crayons. The same holds true for pencils, markers, glue bottles and even paint! Furthermore, your donations are not limited to just the beginning of the year. Feel free to send items in whenever possible.

Our classroom works as a community, so all items will become community items for everyone to use. With all of the back to school sales occurring, it’s a great time to buy these items for just a few cents.

Do keep in mind that the above mentioned items represent just a few of the supplies we will be using regularly over the course of the year. I will be sending out letters requesting additional supplies as specific projects come up.
rhymia1 10:12 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
How do you ask for them?

Blackcats little stash pile got me to thinking that it would be nice to ask the parents for help (especially in the kleenex) department. It would be nice for the wipes to but not sure what we would use them for (after painting would work).

Anyway, I just picture my parents thinking "We pay all this money to you and you still want us to supply additional items?" Not sure how this would go over with them.

Also, why not put out the extra money-buy a couple items a week and then write it off on taxes. Wouldn't that be better?
I know when I've asked about doing something similar on other forums, I've had other providers feel very strongly against it for the highlighted reasons. That said, I also saw BlackCat's stash and am green with envy.
itlw8 10:18 AM 11-02-2012
Yes if I buy it then my taxes are lower BUT I have more money in my pocket If I never spent it. So I come out ahead. Which is better to save 33 cents or never spent the dollar ?

Parents keep tution lower AND I can spend the money on COOL stuff If I do not buy simple stuff.

As far as their taxes they all spend more in childcare than they can take off their taxes.

I would rather buy another set of magna tiles than 20 boxes of kleenex. I do not charge a supply fee so this way they spend a couple dollars at a time. The glue that just came in Mom is a teacher She bought it at Staples for 1 cent each then planned on donating it well she donated it just to me instead.
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
I know when I've asked about doing something similar on other forums, I've had other providers feel very strongly against it for the highlighted reasons. That said, I also saw BlackCat's stash and am green with envy.
I told my parents the cost of supplies was going up every year so I was going to raise my rates unless they would rather contribute.

Guess they would much rather contribute.

It's a box of Kleenex and a re-fill package of wet wipes. Costs maybe $5 per month. NONE of my parents complain or think it is odd that I ask.

CK~ we use wet wipes for EVERYTHING. My kiddos wipe (pre-wipe)themselves up before and after meals, outdoor activities and arts/craft activities. I also let them "clean" toys for me. I use wet wipes on the kiddos who have particularly runny or crusty noses too so wet wipes here are used at a rate of pretty much on re-fill package per day.
Reply Up