Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Here We Go Again! Potty Training Tips..I Need Some
daycare 11:42 AM 08-29-2012
What are some potty training tips or pointers that you give to parents to help them continue potty training their child at home?
My3cents 11:55 AM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
What are some potty training tips or pointers that you give to parents to help them continue potty training their child at home?
Potty training starts at home, then when the parents are serious about following through we make a plan of action and I do my part here. I firmly believe it should start at home first.
Blackcat31 12:01 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I will usually tell parents that it is absolutely vital that they be in-tune with their child's schedule as far as when they normally go, their sleep patterns and how much liquid they drink and when.

I also tell them to continue working on use of words and helping their child recognize when they need to go BEFORE they need to go. Keep working on easy to do clothing and if there is an accident to have child work on re-dressing themselves and helping clean up the mess.

I also tell them to make sure there is lots and lots of praise for when the child is successful and to not punish or shame the child for when an accident does occur.

Since there is no magic formula for any of this, I remind them that it IS an on-going process and to not be discouraged. Like many things in life, communication is key here and helping the child communicate their needs helps tremendously in reaching the ultimate goal of underwear!!
daycare 12:04 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I will usually tell parents that it is absolutely vital that they be in-tune with their child's schedule as far as when they normally go, their sleep patterns and how much liquid they drink and when.

I also tell them to continue working on use of words and helping their child recognize when they need to go BEFORE they need to go. Keep working on easy to do clothing and if there is an accident to have child work on re-dressing themselves and helping clean up the mess.

I also tell them to make sure there is lots and lots of praise for when the child is successful and to not punish or shame the child for when an accident does occur.

Since there is no magic formula for any of this, I remind them that it IS an on-going process and to not be discouraged. Like many things in life, communication is key here and helping the child communicate their needs helps tremendously in reaching the ultimate goal of underwear!!
perfect...of course you know I love you!!!!!

this is what I was looking for...
momma2girls 05:24 AM 08-30-2012
Potty training needs to be started at home, and child making good progress,before I will start with it here. Pullups are requird at all times, til child is totally potty trained(this means goes on their own, without assistance and reminders from myself, and be accident free for quite some time).
I added this about 4 yrs. ago, and it has saved me several times. Once a Mom came in, with a little boy that didn't even walk yet, and swore he knew when he was wet. She said maybe we should start potty training soon. I said it is WAY too early!!! DUHH!!!!
ANother family made the comment- "well I think it is about time for (ME) to start potty training you. She was saying it to her son!!!! UGHH!!!! I said I will start with it here, when he understands it, and making good progress at home.
Reply Up