Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Needed...Need A Single Vacation Day Off, Brand New Daycare
bluemoose_mom 11:57 AM 05-01-2012
Alright ladies, this is the deal.

I just started a daycare, at this point I have one child. Today was her first day.

Last Friday I found out that my DH's job has a company trip over memorial day. I would need to take off Friday, the 25th. In the nearly 4 years he's worked with this company, this is the first time spouses are welcome.

I really want to go. I haven't had free time away from DD since she was born (2 1/2 years), and DH and I have only had a handful of dates. We need time together (which we would get, we only have to do dinner with company employees every night, otherwise our time is ours). DD would stay with grandparents.

What do I say to my current, but very new parents? My contact states that I have a two week, unpaid vacation. I didn't address splitting it up (although they asked if they could take a two one week vacation, and I said that was fine). WWYD??
SunshineMama 12:01 PM 05-01-2012
Tell them the truth and explain the situation. It's only one day. I would say, "I know this is short notice, but an opportunity for my to go on a short vacation with dh came up for the first time in years and I would really like to spend it with him if you wouldn't mind terribly."

I had to do something similar once to new dcp's and they were totally cool with it and understanding.
Christian Mother 12:07 PM 05-01-2012
I would tell them or even a write up a letter letting the parents know that May 25th you will be unavailable to care for their child. This will give at least a couple of wks for them to prepare for alternative care for that day.

In your contract do you provide a back up in case your out or do you have it said that parents need to have a back up on their own?

I don't provide a back up but sometimes a family member will sub. for me in extreme cases.
cheerfuldom 01:12 PM 05-01-2012
I guess I disagree....this isnt an emergency. If you are serious about getting your business off the ground, you need to be available and professional. Taking a day off in the first month of care is not professional in my opinion. There will be many times in the future when you will have to tell your friends and family "no", you cannot participate because you have to work. I would forgo the trip and work hard at putting in at least 6 months of consistent work before scheduling any vacation or time off, even if it is unpaid. From the parents point of view, they may understand but more likely, they will be very annoyed that you are going to unavailable so quickly. If you need time off with the hubby, you will have to work around your job situation just like every other working mom out there.
spud912 01:43 PM 05-01-2012
OP -- I was just wondering, did you write in any of the federal holidays as days off (paid or unpaid)? If not, I would definitely amend your contract or you may be working on the major holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.).

Memorial day is usually a big one and most businesses (that operate during business hours) and governments have it off anyway, so maybe you will be lucky and they have it off already.

As far as your question, I would suck it up and work it, especially since it's somewhat last minute notice (less than a month). Otherwise, you will come across as unreliable (not a good first impression).
saved4always 03:35 PM 05-01-2012
I would totally ask them tomorrow if they would mind. It could be that they have someone who is totally available to watch for the day. All 3 of the last dck's I watched had stay at home grandparents who were available to watch for day. And none of that group of parents would have expected me not to go if an opportunity like that came up...even when they first started with me. It cannot hurt to ask, imo, if they could swing it. If you have a back up you can offer to them, that would be helpful. If they are able to make arrangements for the day or use your backup, I would not charge them for that day.
Hunni Bee 03:42 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I guess I disagree....this isnt an emergency. If you are serious about getting your business off the ground, you need to be available and professional. Taking a day off in the first month of care is not professional in my opinion. There will be many times in the future when you will have to tell your friends and family "no", you cannot participate because you have to work. I would forgo the trip and work hard at putting in at least 6 months of consistent work before scheduling any vacation or time off, even if it is unpaid. From the parents point of view, they may understand but more likely, they will be very annoyed that you are going to unavailable so quickly. If you need time off with the hubby, you will have to work around your job situation just like every other working mom out there.
I agree. You wouldn't ask for a day off the first week on any other job. This is actually worse, because the OP is the only one on this job.
Countrygal 05:37 PM 05-01-2012
I'm in the not a good time to take a day off camp. If you had started a job somewhere else you would not be able to get off.

When I had some new children in my daycare (I had been open several months) I became quite ill with a kidney infection and had to take several days off. I absolutely couldn't do anything but lay in bed. It looked very bad and I am sure I almost lost the family, and I had a very, very good reason! A vacation day right after you started sends a message that is not good, IMO.

Any chance you can join your hubby on Sat? I'm sure there are a lot of other wives in the same boat.
cheerfuldom 06:47 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I'm in the not a good time to take a day off camp. If you had started a job somewhere else you would not be able to get off.

When I had some new children in my daycare (I had been open several months) I became quite ill with a kidney infection and had to take several days off. I absolutely couldn't do anything but lay in bed. It looked very bad and I am sure I almost lost the family, and I had a very, very good reason! A vacation day right after you started sends a message that is not good, IMO.

Any chance you can join your hubby on Sat? I'm sure there are a lot of other wives in the same boat.
I had a kidney infection one time when I had just started a new job (in an office). I went every day and hung in there till I passed out and they had to call an ambulance. I was NOT going to call in and lose this job in the first week! They knew full well that I stayed as long as possible
bluemoose_mom 07:14 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
In your contract do you provide a back up in case your out or do you have it said that parents need to have a back up on their own?

I don't provide a back up but sometimes a family member will sub. for me in extreme cases.
I'm new to area, so no I do not provide a back up provider. The parents would need to provide their own back up.
bluemoose_mom 07:18 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
OP -- I was just wondering, did you write in any of the federal holidays as days off (paid or unpaid)? If not, I would definitely amend your contract or you may be working on the major holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.).

Memorial day is usually a big one and most businesses (that operate during business hours) and governments have it off anyway, so maybe you will be lucky and they have it off already.

As far as your question, I would suck it up and work it, especially since it's somewhat last minute notice (less than a month). Otherwise, you will come across as unreliable (not a good first impression).
Yes, I have memorial day off (paid) as per my contract, but I would need Friday off. I have all major federal holidays off, and a one or two more off as well.

Saturday is tough...We would have to pay for my airline ticket, where if I went on Friday the company would pay for my airline ticket.

Thank you everyone for your responses. You all gave me lots to think about. Still not sure what I'll do. But thank you everyone for your honest opinion.
CheekyChick 07:41 PM 05-01-2012
As a new provider, I wouldn't close. I don't think it would be good business to close this soon into opening your business.
spud912 08:18 PM 05-01-2012
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:
Yes, I have memorial day off (paid) as per my contract, but I would need Friday off. I have all major federal holidays off, and a one or two more off as well.

Saturday is tough...We would have to pay for my airline ticket, where if I went on Friday the company would pay for my airline ticket.

Thank you everyone for your responses. You all gave me lots to think about. Still not sure what I'll do. But thank you everyone for your honest opinion.
Ah, gotcha. I didn't read the part about needing Friday off, just thought you needed Monday off.
littlemissmuffet 09:17 PM 05-01-2012
I wouldn't... not if you are serious about running your own business. Sure, the parents could be totally understanding and say "Oh sure, why not?" Or, they could be like "Um, we JUST started with you and you ALREADY are asking for a day off?"

Word of mouth is everything in this business - if you start showing that you are unreliable (and yes, I do think this would show unreliability) than your business will fail.

What happens if you take this day off and then a week later you are so ill you couldn't watch another person's child and need to close again in such a short period of time??
JennyBear 10:47 AM 05-02-2012
My advice would be to work that day and hopefully arrange a date night with hubby on a weekend or something. I'm all for spending much needed quality time with hubby, however, one thing I've learned since opening my home daycare almost a year ago is so many colds and illnesses will be running through your home that you may need to take a day off if you get really sick, so you need to have that in the back of your mind.

It's tough to be in a situation like that though

Hopefully it all works out for you! Best of luck!
bluemoose_mom 07:44 PM 05-02-2012
Taking a date night really isn't possible. We just moved to a new community four months ago, so we don't have anyone to watch DD. Our nearest babysitters (Grandparents) are 4 hours away.

When I had our interview with this family, they mentioned several times that Grandma (secretary for school) gets off work after school lets out and can come get DCG if I ever need to do something. I think I might see if DCG's grandma can pick her up early on Friday, and we would leave right after that. Wish me luck, we have some scheduling things to work out on our end before I mention it to DCP.

Thanks everyone for your opinions!
jenn 08:00 PM 05-02-2012
Yikes! That's a tough one. I think I would just talk honestly to the family. "I have the opportunity to get away with my husband on (date). This is a rare occasion for us, however I don't want to create a problem for you." They may be more than happy to take off that day or have someone else that can provide care that day. If it's going to be a problem for them, or if they act mad about it, I would stay home.
GretasLittleFriends 08:02 PM 05-02-2012
I guess if it were me, I'd talk to parent/s about it. Tell them if they need you, you are willing to stay. My father, years ago, taught me to ask for what I want. Worst thing she/they can do is say "no". Well, ok, the worst thing would be for them to think you're unreliable and terminate, possibly giving you a bad reputation. Of course, if they leave, you won't have to work that day and can go anyway... Though this may not be the right way to look at it.

Though I am a business, I am fairly open with my parents. I have found that in doing so, it makes them feel more comfortable and be open with me as well. We are all people (not robots) after all. We live in a rural area, and people are very laid back here.
bluemoose_mom 08:30 PM 05-02-2012
I find that people are rather laid back here as well. We're rather rural too (we actually live very close to you Gretaslittlefriends--North Dakota).

I'll probably ask something like this, "I was wondering if (name of Dad)'s mom can watch DCG Friday, the 25th of May after she gets off work? My husbands company is having a company trip, and this is the first time wives have been included in 4 years and would like to go. If this isn't possible, I will stay home so you don't have to find alternate care."

That way if it's a problem, then they know I'm willing to stay home. I didn't put anything about closing early in my contract, and can't decide if I want to change their fee for that day. I only do full time care and fees, but I don't get a paid vacation. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards taking off a half a day's fee for them.
Tags:paid vacations
Reply Up