Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Was Listing Here On Daycare.Com Always $5/Month??
Crazy8 07:52 PM 07-07-2011
Not sure if only Michael or a moderator can answer this or if others who have been around this site for a while might know....

Just curious because there are listings for my zip code that I know for fact do not pay to be listed here.

I am finding when I put in my zip code only 20 listings come up - every time I refresh or enter it again different ones come up....for instance there are maybe about 25 listings for my zip so when I search 20 come up, then another search 20 come up but they aren't the exact same 20 as the last time - so each time you search 5 are getting left out. I don't see an option to move to a 2nd page of listings but maybe I'm missing it.

Also, for my particular town name there is a town of the same name in another state. When I pull up by city I get ALL for the other state and 1 for my state - and again, that 1 rotates out. I did send a "contact us" message a few days ago but doesn't look like its been fixed.

I'm just curious because I was going to start paying the $5/month once my website is up and running but I don't want to pay when its basically a roulette wheel of whether I will come up in someone's search or if I'll be one of the 25 left off the list because it only lists 20 at a time. And like I said, there are listings on there that do not pay - did they just get in before they started charging??

I don't mean any disrespect to those running things here, I really appreciate this site and all it does - really I do!!! I am just trying to figure out how it works and if this is the norm or just something wacky with my zip code/town.
MyAngels 08:00 PM 07-07-2011
You should pm Michael, and he will help you out. I think you get a free listing here once you reach a certain number of posts, though.
Zoe 08:46 PM 07-07-2011
I noticed the same thing when I did a search for my town. Different daycares every time, and 20 at a time. And I do believe many of them are no longer in business. So I'm confused too.
Michael 09:04 PM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
Not sure if only Michael or a moderator can answer this or if others who have been around this site for a while might know....

Just curious because there are listings for my zip code that I know for fact do not pay to be listed here.

I am finding when I put in my zip code only 20 listings come up - every time I refresh or enter it again different ones come up....for instance there are maybe about 25 listings for my zip so when I search 20 come up, then another search 20 come up but they aren't the exact same 20 as the last time - so each time you search 5 are getting left out. I don't see an option to move to a 2nd page of listings but maybe I'm missing it.

Also, for my particular town name there is a town of the same name in another state. When I pull up by city I get ALL for the other state and 1 for my state - and again, that 1 rotates out. I did send a "contact us" message a few days ago but doesn't look like its been fixed.

I'm just curious because I was going to start paying the $5/month once my website is up and running but I don't want to pay when its basically a roulette wheel of whether I will come up in someone's search or if I'll be one of the 25 left off the list because it only lists 20 at a time. And like I said, there are listings on there that do not pay - did they just get in before they started charging??

I don't mean any disrespect to those running things here, I really appreciate this site and all it does - really I do!!! I am just trying to figure out how it works and if this is the norm or just something wacky with my zip code/town.
That's a good question. There are several reasons for what we do at Daycare.com. We only show 20 listings per zip, even though there may be over 100 or more in some bigger cities. Only the ones that pay are always at the top of our searches. Just like Google the top 3 or 4 are the ones that get the most traffic. Some of the lower listings may not be in business but this is also indicative of the databases we receive from most state licensing agencies. Those that contact us, we remove. As you know it's a very transient business but we understand that those that pay the $5 per month are in business and make an effort to keep their information current. We have many that have been with us since 2003.

There is a difference between our paid listings and craigslist. At the beginning of Daycare.com, we offered free listings and would get about 3000 a year. Most were not credible listings. Since we started fee based listings our member quality has greatly improved.

Also, the 20 results per page is intended to keep other sites/businesses from "scrapping" our members information and starting their own businesses off of our years of managing our content. One thing they can’t steal is our brand; Daycare.com!

BTW, we are starting to work on Adopt.com which Nannyde has helped with a story of her Adoption. Give it a look at http://www.Adopt.com/blog
Michael 09:14 PM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I'm just curious because I was going to start paying the $5/month once my website is up and running
LittleDiamonds, you are at 50 posts. When you get to 100 posts I give forum members a free listing in our Registry for a year.
momma2girls 06:01 AM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
LittleDiamonds, you are at 50 posts. When you get to 100 posts I give forum members a free listing in our Registry for a year.
Does everyone get this, and know of this????
Zoe 07:12 AM 07-08-2011
Thanks Michael! That makes sense now.
Crazy8 12:02 PM 07-08-2011
That's a good question. There are several reasons for what we do at Daycare.com. We only show 20 listings per zip, even though there may be over 100 or more in some bigger cities. Only the ones that pay are always at the top of our searches. Just like Google the top 3 or 4 are the ones that get the most traffic. Some of the lower listings may not be in business but this is also indicative of the databases we receive from most state licensing agencies. Those that contact us, we remove. As you know it's a very transient business but we understand that those that pay the $5 per month are in business and make an effort to keep their information current. We have many that have been with us since 2003.
this is good to know, I wasn't sure if there was rhyme or reason to how the listings came up.

Again, I was not criticizing in the least, just wondering how it worked. If I was a parent looking for care put in my zip code and 20 listings came up I would assume those were the only 20 listed with you here. I wouldn't think that if I searched again I'd get a different 20, you know??

thanks for the explaination though!
Kaddidle Care 12:17 PM 07-08-2011
Cool! I didn't know this! So.. if you have 500 posts do you get free for 5 years?
nannyde 01:02 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Cool! I didn't know this! So.. if you have 500 posts do you get free for 5 years?
I wonder what happens when you hit 3K? I heard it was a new Mercedes but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

If you are below 100 you might want to hit him with this:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...hlight=quality

Michael: 67 posts? Ok, I will upgrade you to premium. What is the name of your daycare? You can PM me.

Nan: Yeah but they are QUALITY. posts

Ahh the good old days... (a year ago)
Kaddidle Care 01:07 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
QUALITY. posts
I guess that rules out song lyrics to bump up your post counts.

I just checked and my place is already listed. Hmmm I guess that means one of my co-workers is on here and I didn't know it! LOL
squareone 03:31 PM 07-08-2011
I just checked and my place is already listed. Hmmm I guess that means one of my co-workers is on here and I didn't know it! LOL
This is too funny...and scary.
Michael 10:46 PM 07-08-2011
I guess that rules out song lyrics to bump up your post counts.

What is the name of your facility? PM me is you don't want it public here.
Michael 10:47 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I wonder what happens when you hit 3K? I heard it was a new Mercedes but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

If you are below 100 you might want to hit him with this:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...hlight=quality

Michael: 67 posts? Ok, I will upgrade you to premium. What is the name of your daycare? You can PM me.

Nan: Yeah but they are QUALITY. posts

Ahh the good old days... (a year ago)
I think your signature is telling that we thought your posts were quality. "Daycare.com Presents Nannyde: The Daycare Whisperer "
CheekyChick 05:14 AM 07-09-2011
I'm paying $5.00 per month. When I hit 50 posts, will I get a free year?
Kaddidle Care 06:15 AM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
This is too funny...and scary.
A bit - I do my best not to discuss co-workers here anyway. Just in case.
Michael 10:53 AM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I'm paying $5.00 per month. When I hit 50 posts, will I get a free year?
Yes, I'm that kinda guy.
It's my way of showing I value your comments.
Tags:advertising, daycare.com
Reply Up