Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Who HATES Tummy Time-Do You Still Do It?
littlemommy 06:52 AM 02-20-2012
I have a 2 month old in my care who absolutely hates tummy time. He screams as soon as I lay him on his tummy. I've been wanting to ask DCM if they do tummy time at home. The shape of his head tells me they don't. It seems to be pretty flat in the back, and she has made comments that he LOVES the swing and bouncy seat at home.

I want him to have some tummy time here, especially since he is here so often, but I don't enjoy hearing him scream the entire time. I've tried putting things in front of him to look at but he won't even lift his head to get a chance to look. He keeps his face down and screams.
blueclouds29 07:17 AM 02-20-2012
my DD hated tummy time, screamed bloody murder!!! We did it anyway, a little shorter but still did it.
Zoe 07:40 AM 02-20-2012
I have yet to have an infant who likes tummy time. I do it anyway in short increments because I know they need it. Obviously I don't let them suffer, but I feel it's important for their development.
Lilbutterflie 07:42 AM 02-20-2012
Both of my kids were this way; and my dcg was this way when I got her at 2 mos as well. I completely understand the stress of tummy time!!

You definitely should not skip tummy time; especially if you think she may not get much at home. The best thing to do is to do it in short increments; about 5 min at a time. Do this all throughout the day. With my infants, I typically switch "stations" every 15 min or so anyway; they have a rotation of different activities like swing, gym mat, tummy time, etc...

And this phase will pass once he is able to build his muscles and lift his head and chest off the ground.
AfterSchoolMom 09:15 AM 02-20-2012
Definitely keep going with tummy time. Whether the baby likes it or not, it's good for them and they need it to develop those little muscles. I agree with short increments of time throughout the day. Maybe start with three to five minutes then increase the time gradually? If you do that a few times per day then that's plenty.

Also, I don't know what your situation is - how many kids you have and what ages, but.... if you have the time/space/physical ability, you could lay on the floor and put the baby on your stomach - then they'd have that interaction with you to keep them distracted from the fact that they're doing tummy time.
blueclouds29 10:28 AM 02-20-2012
my DD hated tummy time, screamed bloody murder!!! We did it anyway, a little shorter but still did it.
nannyde 10:34 AM 02-20-2012
Never met a baby that liked tummy time.

I would give him a good rousing tummy time of at least fifteen minutes before each feeding. Let him have a good scream and then cuddle him for a few minutes to de-escalate him before the feed.

You just have to supervise it so that he doesn't face plant. He'll get strong really quick and his ability to turn his head and lift his head could well save his life.

Do it for HIM. Give him the gift of a strong neck and shoulders. Crying during tummy time is an awesome way to exercise and build strength. The more they cry the better work out they get. The better work out the better the feed. The better the feed the better the nap. The better they nap the better they are when they are up.
Sunchimes 10:37 AM 02-20-2012
Nanny, I'm getting my first teensy baby (6 weeks) in a couple of weeks. I have printed off your new baby schedule and written it on a whiteboard!

However, I have no baby experience, so can you give me a quick primer on tummy time. Do they need one of those horseshoe shaped pillows to support their chest or do they start out flat. I don't even know where to start.
My3cents 10:51 AM 02-20-2012
I have a tummy turn table that I love. It looks like a ladybug. Has a mat that goes under the turntable with different things to reach for. I also use other toys that they can actually pick up and reach for. I suggest small amounts of time, building up more and more as the child get's stronger. Start out with five minutes. Floor time is great for babies, it allows them to move and stretch and build muscles.
nannyde 11:11 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Nanny, I'm getting my first teensy baby (6 weeks) in a couple of weeks. I have printed off your new baby schedule and written it on a whiteboard!

However, I have no baby experience, so can you give me a quick primer on tummy time. Do they need one of those horseshoe shaped pillows to support their chest or do they start out flat. I don't even know where to start.
I do tummy from day one. You can start them out at two/three minutes and increase a minute a day for the first few weeks. I would do five/six two minute intervals a day and try to do them right before a feed (minus de-escalation time) and at LEAST forty five minutes after eating. I don't like to do it after the feed because I want them to keep everything down.

I like the boppies a lot but usually use them for stage two of competence... once they can lift their head but can't turn left to right. When they face plant I use the baby boppy (little pillow version) and put it right under their pits and have their chin right over the outside of the middle of the pillow. Once they can bop from left to right I don't use the boppy... unless...

Unless you get one that can crash to sleep without it. Sometimes they get so good at it OR they are tummy sleeping at home that they will nod off. NO sleeping on belly so I use the bigger boppy and put their chin over the outside perimeter of it so their head can't lay flat.

Once they start back scooting you can't really use the boppies anymore but that's usually really close to when they start commado crawling and flipping over so you don't need it anymore.
Sunchimes 12:53 PM 02-20-2012
Thank you both so much! I know I'm over thinking this, but it's so new to me. Baby livestock I understand, baby people are a complete mystery.

When my grandkids were newborn, I would hold them, smile at them, hand them back to mom and head for the kitchen. ;-)
bunnyslippers 02:34 PM 02-20-2012
Yup. It is a needed step in development. I never them scream their way out of it ~
SilverSabre25 03:01 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Never met a baby that liked tummy time.

I would give him a good rousing tummy time of at least fifteen minutes before each feeding. Let him have a good scream and then cuddle him for a few minutes to de-escalate him before the feed.

You just have to supervise it so that he doesn't face plant. He'll get strong really quick and his ability to turn his head and lift his head could well save his life.

Do it for HIM. Give him the gift of a strong neck and shoulders. Crying during tummy time is an awesome way to exercise and build strength. The more they cry the better work out they get. The better work out the better the feed. The better the feed the better the nap. The better they nap the better they are when they are up.
You never met my son. He loooooved tummy time from Day 1. Granted, he was holding his head up before we even left the hospital so that may have helped...or not, because DD hated tummy time and she was holding her head up almost as early.
smb757 06:12 AM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:

Where can I find Nannyde's infant schedule??
Sunchimes 06:46 AM 02-21-2012
Here you go. Scroll down a bit until you see Nanny's post.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...nfant+schedule
renodeb 09:21 AM 02-21-2012
I would still do it in very short increments. A minute or so at a time. Its important to there development. Hang in there!
Debbie
jojosmommy 12:03 PM 02-21-2012
Do it anyway for just a few min at a time, a bunch of times a day. They get used to it.
littlemommy 12:32 PM 02-21-2012
the 2nd time he did it today was a bit better!
Countrygal 12:34 PM 02-21-2012
Thanks for this thread and for the link to Nannyde's schedule. While I have experience with infants, my own and my gks, I may soon be getting my first one in dc. It's a little scary.....
MarinaVanessa 07:30 AM 03-16-2012
I know this thread is a month old but I just ran across this video and thought about this thread. It's a video about mixing it up during tummy time for kids that hate it. I thought that maybe it might help someone someday .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZRvh623fGA
MyAngels 11:03 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I know this thread is a month old but I just ran across this video and thought about this thread. It's a video about mixing it up during tummy time for kids that hate it. I thought that maybe it might help someone someday .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZRvh623fGA
That's a very informative video. I do all of that just as second nature by now, but I'm sending it to my son and DIL. My grandbaby is due in less than two months, and they'll really enjoy it!
Tags:tummy time
Reply Up