Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>We are 100% Paper/Disposable Free!!
SunflowerMama 08:36 AM 01-19-2011
My last family is finally on board with me using cloth diapers for their LO. So we are now 100% cloth diapers, cloth wipes and no paper towels!! It feels so great not to throw away all those diapers and use all those paper towels!

I also had an unannounced inspection yesterday and she was totally fine with all the cloth. Passed with not one citation. Yeah!!
Lilbutterflie 08:40 AM 01-19-2011
Yay! So happy for you. (o:
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 01-19-2011
That is awesome Sunflowermomma!!

I learned aneat baby wipe trick a few years ago that I thought I would share;

You take a roll of paper towel and cut it in half so that you get two short rolls.
Place one half in a round rubbermaid type container and fill it with a mixture of water and any type of baby wash you prefer. The recipe said to use Johnson's baby wash (lavender scent was recommended)
Let the roll soak up the liquid.
Pour off any excess.
You can cut an "X" shape hole in the center of the container lid and pull the beginning of the paper towel through the hole.

Ta Da!~ Now you have gentle and eco friendly baby wipes at a fraction of the cost.
SunflowerMama 09:07 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is awesome Sunflowermomma!!

I learned aneat baby wipe trick a few years ago that I thought I would share;

You take a roll of paper towel and cut it in half so that you get two short rolls.
Place one half in a round rubbermaid type container and fill it with a mixture of water and Jany type of baby wash you prefer. The recipe said to use Johnson's baby wash (lavender scent was recommended)
Let the roll soak up the liquid.
Pour off any excess.
You can cut an "X" shape hole in the center of the container lid and pull the beginning of the paper towel through the hole.

Ta Da!~ Now you have gentle and eco friendly baby wipes at a fraction of the cost.
That's a great idea! I just buy the little baby wash cloths and do a simliar solution in a used wipes container. I fill it with this solution and just soak the wipes until I need them. I use it to wash the kids faces and for diaper changes.

1 tbs. Favorite baby bath wash (squeeze into bottom)
1 cup warm water (squish with my hand)
1 tbs. olive oil (pour in)
few drops of Tea Tree oil
Abigail 09:12 AM 01-19-2011
SunflowerMomma--do you wash all the cloth diapers? Is their a specific kind you use? Do you give the parents a supply for at home or do they only do this at daycare? Do you store all the diapers in the same diaper pail? Wet pail or dry pail? LOL, lots of questions sorry. I want to CD my children in the future, but wonder how you do it with all the Daycare kids.

If you watch youtube they have many videos on how to make the half paper towel rolls too. I think I would use baby wash clothes (4 for $1 I think)...they're small and thin and fit nicely in an empty baby wipes container. I'll be using Huggies wipes on Daycare kids, so I hope they work well in this type of container as well If I am going to use CD it wouldn't make sense to have a garbage can for wet and poopy wipes. It is just easier to throw the cloth wipe into the pail along with the diaper and inserts.
SunflowerMama 09:34 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
SunflowerMomma--do you wash all the cloth diapers? Is their a specific kind you use? Do you give the parents a supply for at home or do they only do this at daycare? Do you store all the diapers in the same diaper pail? Wet pail or dry pail? LOL, lots of questions sorry. I want to CD my children in the future, but wonder how you do it with all the Daycare kids.
I'd love to answer your questions!!

1) I do wash all the diapers here. Usually every other day.
2) I go the cheap route...just basic prefolds with snappi fasteners and Thirsties covers.
3) I don't give them a supply for home and all still use disposables at home. I have a stash of eco friendly disposables so right before pickup I put them in those to go home in.
4) I use just a hanging wetbag for the diapers.

Most of the parents really appreciate it...others not so much but I'm ok with that.
renodeb 11:14 AM 01-19-2011
I use Cd to but I havent quite bought enough to go 100% cloth, parents all love it and way less disposable waste I have to wash alot b/c my stash isnt up where I want it yet. I use the AIOens sometimes with an extra linerd epending on the child. I send them home in a sposie though. Haven t heard of many providers using cd. Good for you.
Debbie
MG&Lsmom 12:58 PM 01-19-2011
That is awesome. We are a CDing family too. But my dcks are not. I can just about handle the laundry of my 1 in diapers. But I've often thought about offering it as a perk. Especially for infants who go through so many in a day.
nannyde 01:21 PM 01-19-2011
That's awesome.

I've done cloth diapers before and been fairly successful. I had a lot of issues with my staff assistant sending the kids out the door with them in the afternoon and that got expensive really fast.

I would do it again in a heartbeat if I could find customers to pay for it (staff time, hard costs of diapers, and cleaning). I wonder too about getting the parents to send them in clothing to fit with the extra bulk of the cloth.
SunflowerMama 03:00 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That's awesome.
I wonder too about getting the parents to send them in clothing to fit with the extra bulk of the cloth.
I just went to the thrift store and grabbed a few skirts for the girls and sweatpants for the boys. When they arrive I just put their jeans back in their bags . Before pick-up the sposies go on and the jeans back on.
nannyde 03:22 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I just went to the thrift store and grabbed a few skirts for the girls and sweatpants for the boys. When they arrive I just put their jeans back in their bags . Before pick-up the sposies go on and the jeans back on.
That's what I was thinking. I would have to figure the staff time in undressing and redressing twice a day plus the cost of the clothing they wear each day. I pay a staff assistant so the hard cost of this time would be pretty easy to calculate.

I think it would be wildly popular as long as it is free. I already have so much built into my fees that I don't think there is a market for adding the expense on top of what I'm charging.

I would do it in a heartbeat if there was money in it. Finding clients that like it would be very easy. Finding ones to pay for it... that's another kettle o fish.

For a long time I had a "cloth diaper fee" in my policies for both the parents providing the diapers and for me providing them. I had parents requesting to use cloth diapers here but did not want to pay the fee for managing them. Even with them providing the diapers the staff time to deal with the cloth is substantially more than managing paper diapers. I found it less confrontational to say NO right off the bat then to say YES but with a fee. The parents who use them and would provide them don't really realize the maintence difference between a kid in paper and a kid in cloth.

I had one client tell me she called twelve day cares and JUST asked about cloth and was told no twelve times. She REALLY didn't get why. I spent the time and explained to her how it worked and why everyone just says NO off the bat and she really GOT it. I offered her the service for a fee but the fee I would have to charge would BE the cost of the actual diapers. It was up to them and they decided on paper.

Time and money as always. I don't think there is a single center in my area that does cloth services. It used to be more common but Centers really GET the staff time issue with them whether the parent provides them or not.

I'm open to going all cloth all the time. Just got to find clients who really believe in the environmental benefits and will put their money into it.
SilverSabre25 03:28 PM 01-19-2011
Some day in the future I'd like to offer CDing to everyone. I've got a huge stash of prefolds...I just need to build the stash of snappis and covers that I like (they're pricey...). My plan is to have the families provide me with 20 sposies a month (for one a day five days a week) and then at the last change of the day put everyone in one of their own sposies. They'll come in sposies and leave in sposies, but be in cloth while here.

Nanny, I'm curious...if the family supplies and launders the cloth diapers, how is it more expensive and how does it take more time? I'm really curious. I have had two families using Bumgenius (LOVE THOSE...won't afford them for my own kids though, lol) pockets/AIOs and they use the flushable liners to catch the poop so it's really no tougher than a sposie. I'm just curious about your take on it.
nannyde 04:03 PM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Nanny, I'm curious...if the family supplies and launders the cloth diapers, how is it more expensive and how does it take more time? I'm really curious. I have had two families using Bumgenius (LOVE THOSE...won't afford them for my own kids though, lol) pockets/AIOs and they use the flushable liners to catch the poop so it's really no tougher than a sposie. I'm just curious about your take on it.
I wouldn't allow anything to be flushed first of all. I have a fifty year old house and have to protect the plumbing.

I don't have anything I pass back and forth daily with the parents built into my fees. I receive paper diapers either once or twice a month for each child and they are stocked in their bags in the kids cubby in my storage room. Wipes come in once a month or so and they go into a common storage and each pack is used as necessary.

The time I spend managing the stocking of the diapers and the handling of the diapers after changing is just a few minutes total per day for all of the kids.

Receiving and returning diapers would take staff time. I usually have about six kids in diapers at a time so separating each kids diapers into separate containers or bags each day and fetching these at departure time and giving that to the parents each day would take a lot of staff time.

When we change paper diapers the used diapers go into a common sack and it is tossed two to three times a day. There isn't any sorting or removing any liners or removing bm. It all goes in the same bag and is tossed into a close outdoor garbage bin. Easy peezy.

You also have the issue of leaks and total clothing changes that are way more common in cloth diapers than in paper diapers. I only allow diapers that I don't have leaking issues with. Adding the plastic underpants on top of the diapers takes time also to put on and to remove and change if they become soiled. Clothing changes are expensive in staff time. Cleaning the equipment that has been soiled is also expensive.

I also have expensive playpens for the kids to sleep in. I can NOT have diaper leaking in my playpens. It's easier to get new day care kids than it is to replace the equipment.

I would need about three dollars a day to cover the total costs which would add about fifteen dollars a week. That would be IF the parents brought the diapers. It would be more if I did the purchasing and cleaning of the diapers. Maybe a dollar more per day for that. It would be enough to cover the costs and give me a bit of profit for managing it. It would not be enough to cover even one playpen cleaning after a leak or blow thru.

There's a reason most centers and home child cares don't do cloth. Just think about it. If it were anwhere near easy and conveinient EVERY day care would do it.

It's about time and money. Each individual piece of managing them isn't hard it's just time. Paper is WAY easier to manage especially if you have a system where the time it takes to bring the supplies in and disposing of the diapers is a couple of minutes per month and you have quality paper diapers to work with.
SilverSabre25 07:41 PM 01-19-2011
Thanks, I was just curious about your take on it. You have interesting viewpoints. I don't always agree 100%, but they are interesting food for thought.

FWIW, the AIOs such as BumGenius, I've never had a leak in a year of having them used by kiddos in my daycare. They are called "All In One" for a reason too--no covers/plastic pants needed. Not trying to change your mind or anything, just saying.
SunflowerMama 04:16 AM 01-20-2011
Personally for me I'm ok with a little additional cost upfront (stash of diapers and covers bought at minimal cost used, used clothing to go over the diapers...very minimal cost, and eco disposables for going home). I have 8 kids but most days only 2 or 3 that are in diapers (so granted definitely not as many in diapers as most people). Because I cloth diapered my twins for 3 years the time it takes me to change a cloth diaper (even a prefold and cover) versus a disposable is about the same. The way my station is setup everything is in the same location (washer/dryer, bathroom, wetbag) so I'm not doing anything more with the cloth diaper than I would a disposable. So therefore it doesn't take any additional time for me and with the cost being upfront I'm actually saving myself and/or my parents money because I/they aren't purchasing disposables or wipes for the 50 hrs/week they are in my care. You can purchase a stash of diapers for about $200-$300 and typically a family will spend $3,000 on disposables.

The bottom line for me is that regardless of any additional cost or time I am, at the end of the day, the one that is ultimately responsible for the amount of waste and trash leaving my house on a daily or weekly basis. So I will always strive to continue to find ways to reduce that waste even if it involves a little extra $$ upfront.
daysofelijah 04:42 AM 01-20-2011
Good for you. I cd'd all three of my kids and the two dcks I have in diapers now are both cd'd.

I never had leak problems with my own kids, because I knew how to dress them to wear clothes over cd's. I do have problems with one that I have in cloth now with some leaking because she keeps putting her in onesies, which I have found just don't work with pocket/AIO diapers.

I can see what Nan says about the time factor. If I had 6 kids in diapers, all in cloth, I probably couldn't handle it. With just two though, I just bag and send home and they wash. I wouldn't wash other kids diapers here in my machine.
ammama 05:52 AM 01-20-2011
I CD my DD2, but I don't provide them for my dck's (I do'nt actually have any dck's in diapers right now, but if I did...). I have had dck's in cloth before, parents sent a wetbag and clean dipes everyday. I don't mind the few extra changes, I change pretty frequently anyway. I thought about getting a diaper service here if i had many in diapers. No extra laundry for me, and I don't have any fears about proper sanitation of the diapers. It is almost the same cost here for diapers for 1 child or 3 children (around $110 a month vs $130 a month), and they will provide diapers of different sizes at no extra cost. This service is usually for siblings, but I had contacted her about my dayhome, and she said she would consider it for me too. Maybe after baby is born
KEG123 06:10 AM 01-20-2011
Thats very cool you are able to do that!! I'd love to have parents CD (But, for me to send a wet bag home with them at night)

I never CD my son because we lived in an apartment with no washer and dryer and I never wanted to go to the laundromat with CDs. SO, hopefully, if we're lucky enough to have a second, I'll be CD (since we now live in a house with a washer and dryer)
SilverSabre25 06:29 AM 01-20-2011
I am THRILLED to see so many people who CD, whether it's your own kids or dcks or your daycare families!! That's exciting to me, lol. I wish more people would CD; it's easy and SO MUCH CHEAPER than disposables!
VanessaEO 07:40 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I am THRILLED to see so many people who CD, whether it's your own kids or dcks or your daycare families!! That's exciting to me, lol. I wish more people would CD; it's easy and SO MUCH CHEAPER than disposables!
I was thinking the same thing. I'm willing to CD DCKs - I even advertised that I was CD friendly for a while - but after not a single question or inquiry, I stopped putting that in my ads.

I CD'd both my kids and if I have a third, I'll CD him/her too. I LOVE CD and have often thought about CD DCKs but I wouldn't want to wash in my washer either. I guess it icks me out a bit

But --- other than the CD - no paper towels? How do you meet the licensing requirments? Lots of hand towel laundry, or do you have specific wash clothes for specific kids? How are you doing this?
Live and Learn 09:18 AM 01-20-2011
WOW!! AWESOME!!
All of my own kids only wore cloth.
Even my twins...that was a lot of diapers!
I applaud your commitment.
I haven't read the entire thread...did you say how many dck you have in diapers?
nannyde 10:46 AM 01-20-2011
Sunflower

Do you air dry the diapers?
SunflowerMama 10:55 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:

But --- other than the CD - no paper towels? How do you meet the licensing requirments? Lots of hand towel laundry, or do you have specific wash clothes for specific kids? How are you doing this?
As far as handwashing I have cute rack with hooks in the bathroom. They each have a hand towel on there with their name and this was approved by Licensing. I also have tons of the little baby wash cloths. I keep these in an old wipes container with a wipe solution. We use these for face/hand clean up after snacks and for diaper changes. They get tossed in the wetbag after each use. For me I have a little wicker basket with larger size wash cloths and towels by the sink and I'll use these for cleaning or for drying my hands. I have enough wash cloths that sometimes I can make it two days between washes but usually it's daily.
MG&Lsmom 10:56 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:
How do you meet the licensing requirments? Lots of hand towel laundry, or do you have specific wash clothes for specific kids? How are you doing this?
I don't do papertowels for handwashing. Everyone has their own hand towel. They are actually washcloths from IKEA. Each has a loop on one end and I have a line of hooks by the sink. Since I only have PT and dropins I just wash them once a week. I bought 2 10packs so I have enough to change daily if I need to without adding too much laundry. The system was approved by my licensor.
SunflowerMama 10:56 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
WOW!! AWESOME!!
All of my own kids only wore cloth.
Even my twins...that was a lot of diapers!
I applaud your commitment.
I haven't read the entire thread...did you say how many dck you have in diapers?
I have 3 in diapers right now. My group is 18 months + so the rest are potty trained.
SunflowerMama 10:59 AM 01-20-2011
Sunflower

Do you air dry the diapers?
I'm in TX so luckily I can line dry most of the year and just toss them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up a bit. When it's not nice I just toss them in the dryer but since I use just prefolds they don't take long to dry at all.
nannyde 11:21 AM 01-20-2011
I'm in TX so luckily I can line dry most of the year and just toss them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up a bit. When it's not nice I just toss them in the dryer but since I use just prefolds they don't take long to dry at all.
The line drying here is definitely an issue that would cost having to have a really big stock. It can take a day or two to dry t-shirts on the rack in the winter. The summer is cake.

When I did them years ago I used Kushies with cloth liners. I hung dry all of them to protect the velcro and keep costs down. In the summer I put them out but the winter I had to run a clothes line in the laundry room and hang them up. That took some time also.

Providing clothing that can accomodate them shouldn't be underestimated. If you are in a really warm climate the clothing is so much less to deal with. If you are in a colder climate the clothing is bigger thicker and takes more money to buy especially if you are in the business of easy on and off clothing. Having kids in diapers come in one piece outfits and layers can require the provider to completely dress them top and bottom to accomodate the diaper.

Also.. by purchasing cheaper dollar store clothing you are going to have them wear out. Any zippers, elastic, and stitching is going to wear out. You also have to wash and care for the clothing daily.

I've been down this road before and I KNOW the actual amount of staff time it takes to manage them when "I" provide them. I have a staff assistant so it's not theoretical.. it's a hard cost of staff time. I can only GUESS the amount of time it would take to have the parents provide them, stock, sort, remove stool, return, and restock.

It would be worth it to me though for SURE if it would draw great customers who would be as willing as you are to absorb the cost of the time and money. I would do it either way... I supply.. they supply. The cost of the stock is nothing to me. I could get that today. It's the staff time that would have to be compensated for and a profit built in. I'm willing tho... just have to find the customers who feel passionate about it.

I have NO cloth on my website now but did that only because it was getting too complicated to explain the fee for the cloth on parents who were cloth diapering at home. They feel as you do that it really is next to nothing in money and time... and my experience is that it takes about 15 minutes average per day per child at LEAST beyond what managing paper does. That's three bucks a day just in staff time (multiply by six kids) and it HAS to be paid or I have to do what is built into my current fees... which is premium brand paper.
SunflowerMama 11:47 AM 01-20-2011
Providing clothing that can accomodate them shouldn't be underestimated. If you are in a really warm climate the clothing is so much less to deal with. If you are in a colder climate the clothing is bigger thicker and takes more money to buy especially if you are in the business of easy on and off clothing. Having kids in diapers come in one piece outfits and layers can require the provider to completely dress them top and bottom to accomodate the diaper.

Also.. by purchasing cheaper dollar store clothing you are going to have them wear out. Any zippers, elastic, and stitching is going to wear out. You also have to wash and care for the clothing daily.

I've been down this road before and I KNOW the actual amount of staff time it takes to manage them when "I" provide them. I have a staff assistant so it's not theoretical.. it's a hard cost of staff time. I can only GUESS the amount of time it would take to have the parents provide them, stock, sort, remove stool, return, and restock.

It would be worth it to me though for SURE if it would draw great customers who would be as willing as you are to absorb the cost of the time and money. I would do it either way... I supply.. they supply. The cost of the stock is nothing to me. I could get that today. It's the staff time that would have to be compensated for and a profit built in. I'm willing tho... just have to find the customers who feel passionate about it.

I have NO cloth on my website now but did that only because it was getting too complicated to explain the fee for the cloth on parents who were cloth diapering at home. They feel as you do that it really is next to nothing in money and time... and my experience is that it takes about 15 minutes average per day per child at LEAST beyond what managing paper does. That's three bucks a day just in staff time (multiply by six kids) and it HAS to be paid or I have to do what is built into my current fees... which is premium brand paper.
I think in my situation it's more doable because I don't have a huge # of kids in diapers (just 3) and I don't have any assistants...it's just me. So hypothetically if it does take an extra minute or 2 over a disposable I'm ok with that because in the long run, for me, I think it's the better choice.

We also have very mild weather here so buying a few extra skirts and sweatpants from a thrift shop (and this is not Dollar Store quality clothing...just thrift store...big difference IMO as far as what you can find quailty-wise) at .50 to $1 per piece is not going to break the bank either. All my kids are over 18 months and all the parents know I cloth diaper. Most of the moms send the girls in skirts now anyway to make it easier for me and the rest can all wear the same sizes 2-3T so I don't have an overabundance of clothing. My kids aren't ever sent in onsies so it's an easy change if they are in jeans or something tight-fitting.

I just think everyone should do what they are most comfortable and in my individual situation it does save me money, in addition to the other positives, over supplying disposables and wipes.
melskids 02:40 PM 01-20-2011
i have one momma who CD's and at first i was a little on the fence about it. now, i am hooked, and trying to talk all the other mom's into doing it as well. i'm not sure I want to invest in purchasing the CD's, but i am all for the parents bringing and using them.

and for me, it takes the same amount of time to change a CD, and it only takes 20 seconds for me to retrieve the bag of soiled diapers and hand them to mom at the end of the day.

i'm loving it!!!!
*Sunshine* 08:11 PM 04-04-2013
I'd love to answer your questions!!

1) I do wash all the diapers here. Usually every other day.
2) I go the cheap route...just basic prefolds with snappi fasteners and Thirsties covers.
3) I don't give them a supply for home and all still use disposables at home. I have a stash of eco friendly disposables so right before pickup I put them in those to go home in.
4) I use just a hanging wetbag for the diapers.

Most of the parents really appreciate it...others not so much but I'm ok with that.
Do you make your own laundry detergent? I have saved a lot of money with this recipe! I used the Fels Naptha soap. With my next batch I will try the baby mild Castile soap.

http://www.thethriftymama.com/homema...ndry-soap.html

Something else not mentioned by anybody is the money saved from garbage collection. I like your ideas for the towel rack and the washcloth "wipes"
AmyKidsCo 08:17 PM 04-04-2013
Woo hoo, congrats! Doesn't it feel good?!

I have 1 family using CDs; I'd love to have them all use them, but not enough to provide/launder the CDs for them. I figured I did my part CDing our 6 children and granddaughter, plus we use lots of other reusable items in the daycare and our family life. Every little bit helps.
crazydaycarelady 08:21 PM 04-04-2013
I realize you are putting less trash out but don't you end up using a lot more hot water, bleach, etc? Also do you use the same clothes for diaper changes as faces, washed of course?
MotherNature 08:32 PM 04-04-2013
The water usage goes up a bit, but not much, & has nowhere near the effect on the planet's resources as piles of disposables. Great job! We use cloth here too, but just on my own son. It's in my handbook though that I encourage it if future families are interested. I rinse & send home in a wetbag. How neat though, that you just use prefolds on everyone! Very cool.
Leanna 11:28 AM 04-05-2013
I was a little scared when I was first asked about cloth diapers, but I was willing to try. I am so glad I did because since then I've had many families who use them and I truly do not find them any more difficult than paper diapers.
The cloth diapers now are all in one piece so putting it on the baby takes no more time than putting on a disposable.
Changing the baby takes no more time either. Doing up Velcro or snaps is no easier or harder than doing up the tape on a paper diaper. Tossing the diaper in the wetbag takes no longer than tossing one in the garbage. The only added time is when a baby poops and you dump it into the potty which takes maybe 30 seconds.
"Managing" the diapers takes maybe one minute daily. I accept the bag from the parents and place it into the child's designated drawer in the diaper table. At the end of the day I put the wetbag in the diaper bag. Getting a diaper out during a change is the same for cloth and paper - reach into the child's drawer and pull out a diaper.
You still have to dress the baby and wash hands for either style so there is no added time there.
Either way you are talking to the baby and interacting with him/her while you change them so that isn't any different.
Blowouts can happen with any diaper and I personally find it has more to do with the fit of the diaper than the type. Cleaning is cleaning. We do it as part of our jobs. Cots, pack and plays and cribs are all washable.
In NY we are not allowed to wash soiled clothing "in house" so I could never provide cloth diapering as a service but I am happy to accommodate those who do. Sometimes accommodating a family's lifestyle choice is more important tallying up how much time and money every little care giving task costs. The children are in our care for X amount of hours per day...I don't know any provider who charges by individual task: read to Johnny $2.00, changed a poopy diaper $3.00, ate lunch which is normally $3.00 but Johnny spilled his milk today so it is $4.00?????? While we work we are with the children...so what does it matter if one task takes a minute or two longer?
LoraJenkins 05:58 PM 04-09-2013
My second DC baby who starts this week is cloth diapered too! Wooohooo! I was not looking forward to the smell of disposables. So we will still be paper free!!!!
Tags:cloth diapers, disposable
Reply Up