Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drinks All Day Long In Sippy Cups Or Just During Meals?
MaritimeMummy 07:20 AM 08-31-2012
All my kids expect to have their sippies full of SOMETHING and access to it all day long.

I give milk with morning snack, juice with lunch, and milk with afternoon snack. I have no kids on bottles at this point. But for instance, when they get up from the table from their lunch, they grab their cup and take it in the play area (my living room). I have one kid that looses her mind if she doesn't have her cup in her hand all the time. I just managed to get her off her soother and stop her from carrying her bottle around all day long. Her comfort's been replaced by her cup. But, every child here has access all the time to their own cups, and it's kind of an expectation of the parents for me to do it.

But I don't know, I'm thinking, at a day care centre, they don't do this, so why should I? Is not giving a cup to drink from all day long common?
SilverSabre25 07:25 AM 08-31-2012
I have cups available all day, but those just have water. Actually my bigger kids just go to the table when they're thirsty and I leave their cups there all day getting refilled as needed.

I let my DS carry his sippy of water around because he's little and I'm, uh, kinda lazy...and I don't care. And he can't get into the kitchen any time he wants because of the gate and his ability to open the fridge, the oven, and all the cabinets...

I'll probably let DCB do the same thing if/when he starts wanting to.

I just really don't care until they're old enough to understand why it has to stay in one place. And if DD even now asks for a lid and carries her cup (only of water!) around, then I still just don't really care very much.
Country Kids 07:26 AM 08-31-2012
I'm not even allowing sippy's anymore. They can sit at the table with a big cup. I'm getting to the mind set of how it was before all this stuff was invented to the ease of life. We don't need sippy's, pacifiers above 1, they can be potty trained with consistency before 5 years old, etc.

I'm love these kids and have them the majority of the day. Some have two of their three main meals here. They should be able to learn how to do things in the 10 hours I have them a day.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 08-31-2012
My DC kids only get milk or water at meal and snack times. If they want a drink other times during the day, they ask and I get them a cup and they sit at the table and drink it and that is that.

Nothing in a sippy cup and I surely do NOT ever allow kids to simply roam free with a sippy filled with anything. No wonder kids are potty trained at older and older ages....we gotta break them of their "drinking" habits first. LOL!

I don't even let babies have bottles filled with anything all day. I make them a bottle, hold and feed them and take the bottle back.

I also don't allow sippy cups or food to come into my house or leave my home. (Can you tell I hate sippy cups )
youretooloud 07:28 AM 08-31-2012
We don't use sippies, but their cups have water in them all the time, and they are always lined up in the same spot so they always have access. I do not fill them with anything but water.
MaritimeMummy 07:34 AM 08-31-2012
I don't expect my age group to use cups...I mean, my 3 year old DD can, and my 2.5 year old DCG, but not my 23 month old DCG, 19 month old DCB, and certainly not my 14 month old DS. If I put the cups out for the older kids, the younger kids get into them and spill them, I've tried that before (my 14 month old DS is notorious for this, and he's too young to "talk to" about not doing it).
MaritimeMummy 07:37 AM 08-31-2012
The cups are supplied by me, they don't leave my home either. :-)
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
I don't expect my age group to use cups...I mean, my 3 year old DD can, and my 2.5 year old DCG, but not my 23 month old DCG, 19 month old DCB, and certainly not my 14 month old DS. If I put the cups out for the older kids, the younger kids get into them and spill them, I've tried that before (my 14 month old DS is notorious for this, and he's too young to "talk to" about not doing it).
I am not flaming you are trying to sound critical but why wouldn't you expect your group to use cups?

Children ARE capable of so much more than we think......they also will only do what is expected and honestly you have what I would call an older group of kids.

I teach every single kid I ave to use an un-lidded cup (I use 5 oz Dixie cups) by the time they are weaned off a bottle. Kids can tip their own bottles by 12 months, they understand the concept of tipping to get the liquid so with a bit of encouragement, support and on-going help they can transistion to a regular cup easily by 1 year old.

I don't have a problem with other kids "getting into" cups because I don't leave them out but as far as the use of one in general, kids as young as your 14 month old can easily be taught how to use a cup. They do have the ability. We just have to support it...even though it is and can be a messy process...LOL!!
laundrymom 07:48 AM 08-31-2012
Milk w meals and snacks ( we chew our fruit here) water in between meals. Bottles to a yr, sippers to 14 mo. Cups starting @ 15 mo @ table w big kids. No high chairs after 15 mo.
Country Kids 07:49 AM 08-31-2012
Oh, I would defenitly be letting all of them (maybe not the 14 month old) use a regular cup. 3 of them are more then ready!

Make them know they are big kids and can handle this. Then its easier to me to break them of other things.
itlw8 07:54 AM 08-31-2012
there is NO difference in a child carrying a bottle around or a sippy cup

If it has anything in it besides water the parents are asking for major dental problems. It is refered to bottle mouth decay because the milk or juice bathes the teeth constantly.

I would insist the cups be kept on the table and that they only contain water. Then I would find an article about the hazard of allowing access to a bottle or cup all day... by the way people who snack all day have the same problem except it is not under the front lip.

by the way usually to take care of it they do it as an outpatient in the hospital .
Crazy8 08:17 AM 08-31-2012
I require them to have non-spill cups, my group is usually 2 and under, I have little ones who drink their cups outside of normal meal times (they nap 2x a day so aren't awake at our normal snack times) but the 1x/day nappers just get them at meals and when we come in from outside. I only give milk at lunch - water the rest of the time.
MaritimeMummy 08:19 AM 08-31-2012
I appreciate every bit of advice here. I really do. I don't consider anyone to be flaming. :-)

So you think I'm not allowing these kids to do what they are capable of doing? I guess I just see my kids as really young...my 23 month old is pretty young acting still so I just never really considered HER old enough to do it. It's all I can do to get her to sit down and eat her meals without running all over the place with food in her mouth. The 19 month old likely could. The kids that you guys have drinking from cups at a younger age (younger than 2), do the parents do anything at home to help out with it? Or do they get cups at your daycare, sippies at their home?
Country Kids 08:25 AM 08-31-2012
I appreciate every bit of advice here. I really do. I don't consider anyone to be flaming. :-)

So you think I'm not allowing these kids to do what they are capable of doing? I guess I just see my kids as really young...my 23 month old is pretty young acting still so I just never really considered HER old enough to do it. It's all I can do to get her to sit down and eat her meals without running all over the place with food in her mouth. The 19 month old likely could. The kids that you guys have drinking from cups at a younger age (younger than 2), do the parents do anything at home to help out with it? Or do they get cups at your daycare, sippies at their home?
You know I'm not really sure what they do at home but I know they all know how to drink out of a cup without any help. Maybe they do or they just know from watching others. I haven't had a spill yet from any of them (stop to knock on wooden desk-).
MyAngels 08:33 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DC kids only get milk or water at meal and snack times. If they want a drink other times during the day, they ask and I get them a cup and they sit at the table and drink it and that is that.

Nothing in a sippy cup and I surely do NOT ever allow kids to simply roam free with a sippy filled with anything. No wonder kids are potty trained at older and older ages....we gotta break them of their "drinking" habits first. LOL!

I don't even let babies have bottles filled with anything all day. I make them a bottle, hold and feed them and take the bottle back.

I also don't allow sippy cups or food to come into my house or leave my home. (Can you tell I hate sippy cups )
I agree with this, especially after I saw the article about how unsanitary those cups with the valve type things are. Even after thorough washing there was still some very ewwww stuff in there.
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 08-31-2012

My parents are kind of half and half. My youngest that uses a regular cup is 14 months old and his mom gives him a regular un-lidded cup (AFTER I demonstrated to her that her DS was capable of using it) and she is also a pretty hands-on mom AND she is a Kindy teacher so she fully understands the concept of teaching self-help skills and why.

I have one mom who gives BOTH her children drip-less sippy cups even though her kids are 3 and 4 years old and have never used a lidded cup here...she is just one of those mom's who HAS to buy ALL the Disney character themed everything for her kids and since they make Cars and Princess sippy cups, her kids have to have them...kwim?

I won't lie...it IS a messy process but honestly it only takes a couple times for the kids to pick up the concept of not spilling. I do start with just a teeny tiny amount in the cup and increase the quantity as their skill level increases.

They do spill, they do try putting their hands in their cups and they shake them and turn them over for a better look and everything else you can think of. But I am just firm and consistent about it. You put your hand in your cup, you get told "No" and I will take the cup from you after repeating it after being told no. I will also take their cups if they mess around in any other fashion.

I practice the 1,2,3 method with almost all behaviors.

1: Reminder...."We don't put our hands in our milk Billy"
2: Warning...."Billy, I will take your cup if you continue to put your hands in your milk"
3: Action...."Billy you put your hands in you milk. I am taking your cup from you."

Rinse and repeat until you get the desired results. It really doesnt take too long.
Meyou 08:45 AM 08-31-2012
I serve milk and water at snacks and meals. If they want a drink in between they ask, sit at the table, drink and then return the cup before they go play again. I offer the babies water more often until they can ask but I never allow them to walk around with cups.

I transition from the cups with snap on spill lids (not sippies with valves) to an open cup around 18 months. I just do water in small amounts at first until they get the hang of not sending the cup flying. lol
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:02 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I serve milk and water at snacks and meals. If they want a drink in between they ask, sit at the table, drink and then return the cup before they go play again. I offer the babies water more often until they can ask but I never allow them to walk around with cups.

I transition from the cups with snap on spill lids (not sippies with valves) to an open cup around 18 months. I just do water in small amounts at first until they get the hang of not sending the cup flying. lol
Yes this For drinks in between we drink water out of dixie cups. Between 1 and 1 1/2 I use the tupperware tops (no valves and will spill) then they drink from cups.
I do not allow them to carry around cups.
cheerfuldom 09:07 AM 08-31-2012
My kids use sippy cups (straw cups actually) at the table. They CAN use an unlidded cup but I chose the straw cups because it is easier for me. Yes self help skills are very important....but so is my time and I dont have time to be cleaning up multiple spills every day. My own 4 and 3 year old daughters use unlidded cups for meals and still spill on a regular basis.....I just have no desire to add another half dozen cups to the table during daycare hours. My kids get warnings, clean up their own messes, etc and the spills still happen.

If doing straw cups makes me lazy, so be it. I am okay with that because it makes my day easier. Plus I am 28 weeks pregnant and simplifying the child care and not having to bend and clean up stuff (including changing wet kids and such) is on the top of my priority list.

As for the original question, I offer drinks at meal and snack time only. I dont let any of the kids run around with a cup, sippy or bottle, thats just unsanitary to me and it becomes something they lose, fight over, etc.
momma2girls 09:12 AM 08-31-2012
I allow children water or juice in sippee cups, or reg. cups, if they are over the age for sippee cups. Then I have milk at dinnertime. If they would like anything to drink between times, it's just water.
youretooloud 09:14 AM 08-31-2012
Under two, they use these with lids and straws. http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Year...e+and+toss+cup

Over two, they use them without lids. But, I do have the occasional 2 1/2 yr old with a lid and straw because they spill it every time.
Crazy8 09:18 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
My kids use sippy cups (straw cups actually) at the table. They CAN use an unlidded cup but I chose the straw cups because it is easier for me. Yes self help skills are very important....but so is my time and I dont have time to be cleaning up multiple spills every day. My own 4 and 3 year old daughters use unlidded cups for meals and still spill on a regular basis.....I just have no desire to add another half dozen cups to the table during daycare hours. My kids get warnings, clean up their own messes, etc and the spills still happen.

If doing straw cups makes me lazy, so be it. I am okay with that because it makes my day easier. Plus I am 28 weeks pregnant and simplifying the child care and not having to bend and clean up stuff (including changing wet kids and such) is on the top of my priority list.

As for the original question, I offer drinks at meal and snack time only. I dont let any of the kids run around with a cup, sippy or bottle, thats just unsanitary to me and it becomes something they lose, fight over, etc.
this is the way I do it too (minus the 28 wks pregnant part, LOL!). My oldest dc child is just 2.5. Maybe he is capable of drinking from a real cup but he's sitting at the table with all younger ones (16-24m) and having regular cups out at the table would just be more than I wish to deal with right now. If I had all 3-5 year olds I might think differently but having all these little ones I'd rather have spill proof cups. Parents can do what they want at home.
Country Kids 09:54 AM 08-31-2012
For my bunch I also notice they drink more then they do out of the sippy cups and the ones with straws. Two of mine will only drink 1/2 cup of water/milk from the sippy or straw cup but down the cup without any lid.
Lianne 10:07 AM 08-31-2012
I have these toddler sports bottles (no longer made) that only ever have water in them due to the difficult to clean spouts. They have access to them all day in the summer and when I remember/they ask in the winter. At snack & mealtimes they use unlidded cups after 2yrs old or lidded cups with no valve (from Tupperware) for the under 2 crowd.

It drives me crazy that children can't go on a 30min outing without needing to bring a drink and/or snack with them these days.
Lilbutterflie 10:10 AM 08-31-2012

These are my thoughts and rules exactly!!
daycare 10:15 AM 08-31-2012
I am just like BC you drink when served. If you want something in between it's always water and you still must sit down at the table and drink it.

at my house table manners are required. YOu will not get up from the table until you have asked to be excused. When you do, you get up and put your dishes in the sink, anything that needs to go in the trash, push your chair in and go wash your hands. If you get up one time during meal time, you are done. I will clear your plate and you will go wash your hands.

All of my kids know I mean business during meal times. Nothing ever leaves the table.
sharlan 10:16 AM 08-31-2012
Ok, I admit, I'm lazy.

They have sippy cups full of water all day, but they keep them in the kitchen. I use regular cups from IKEA for milk at the table with meals.
snbauser 10:21 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have these toddler sports bottles (no longer made) that only ever have water in them due to the difficult to clean spouts. They have access to them all day in the summer and when I remember/they ask in the winter. At snack & mealtimes they use unlidded cups after 2yrs old or lidded cups with no valve (from Tupperware) for the under 2 crowd.
This is exactly what we do. I actually have sports bottles that I bought for $1 each at Michaels last year. They each have their name on it and it only ever has water in it. Cups at the table are either 5oz or 10 oz dixie depending on the age and what meal it is. Under 2 uses the tupperware cups with lids.
renodeb 10:27 AM 08-31-2012
I give milk with breakfast and lunch. Water imbetween. Where I live there is some reg about having drinking water always available for them. I do that but mostly they dont carry there sippys around.
Debbie
countrymom 10:30 AM 08-31-2012
All my kids expect to have their sippies full of SOMETHING and access to it all day long.

I give milk with morning snack, juice with lunch, and milk with afternoon snack. I have no kids on bottles at this point. But for instance, when they get up from the table from their lunch, they grab their cup and take it in the play area (my living room). I have one kid that looses her mind if she doesn't have her cup in her hand all the time. I just managed to get her off her soother and stop her from carrying her bottle around all day long. Her comfort's been replaced by her cup. But, every child here has access all the time to their own cups, and it's kind of an expectation of the parents for me to do it.

But I don't know, I'm thinking, at a day care centre, they don't do this, so why should I? Is not giving a cup to drink from all day long common?
I've always wondered what they do at a center.
countrymom 10:39 AM 08-31-2012
well then it must be a canadian thing lol! because my kids have sippys (tupperware with lid) but they don't have them all day. I give it to them and they go and sit somewhere and drink or stand. My older kids have cups with lids (tupperware--you insert a straw and are spill proof) they have water all day, even my own kids like this.

maybe I'm lazy or anal, but I would hate to constantly clean water off my floor or their trays. They also only get a half a cup if not less, so its not like a full cup of water that is being downed all the time, just enough to quinch their thirst and you have to remember kids play hard too.
Childminder 10:41 AM 08-31-2012
Here we use the USDA food program guidelines and have milk w/every meal and sometimes w/snacks. Sometimes juice w/snack or water is allowed. They always have access to water from the dispenser and 5oz dixie cups, too. They are encouraged to use regular cups at any meal and they always have to be sitting at the table and know which cup is theirs, even the one year old. I do not use the valves w/any sippy cups because they are not allowed to leave the table w/cups unless they get water and are then not allowed to leave the kitchen. We do have a towel handy for water spills.
Fruitloops1 11:23 AM 08-31-2012
I have a 15 month old that doesn't know how to use a cup at ALL! I lift it to her lips and she dips her face into it and then pushes it away. I've tried with her but the only thing she will drink from is the sippy (I am pretty sure she is on a bottle at home...she doesnt even suck from a straw). I dont like them much, but use them for walks because of the lid.
sahm2three 11:26 AM 08-31-2012
I have sippies and regular cups for the big kids available at all times with water in them and at their request they get a drink. No one is allowed to walk around with a cup.
jojosmommy 11:27 AM 08-31-2012
Here we only drink at meal times and water breaks which are an all group thing. I dont do sippys for anyone once they turn two. They dont need them. IMO raise the expectation and they will meet it.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:29 AM 08-31-2012
I have 10 children all using lidless cups. I had a 3.5-year-old who came here unable to use a lidless cup because Mom INSISTS on him using a sippy cup. That took a lot of work due to him never being exposed to it before. But, all of the other children are just the typical spills here and there and it is no big deal. They each have a cloth at mealtimes and will wipe up their own messes (well, to the best of their own ability).

Developing self help skills is of critical importance to me. It actually takes a lot more work for me to work with the children to develop them, but at age 3/4 they ought to be doing a lot by themself.

We drink at breakfast (milk), after morning recess (water), at lunch (milk), at snack (water), and after afternoon recess (water).
nanglgrl 11:44 AM 08-31-2012
I am not flaming you are trying to sound critical but why wouldn't you expect your group to use cups?

Children ARE capable of so much more than we think......they also will only do what is expected and honestly you have what I would call an older group of kids.

I teach every single kid I ave to use an un-lidded cup (I use 5 oz Dixie cups) by the time they are weaned off a bottle. Kids can tip their own bottles by 12 months, they understand the concept of tipping to get the liquid so with a bit of encouragement, support and on-going help they can transistion to a regular cup easily by 1 year old.

I don't have a problem with other kids "getting into" cups because I don't leave them out but as far as the use of one in general, kids as young as your 14 month old can easily be taught how to use a cup. They do have the ability. We just have to support it...even though it is and can be a messy process...LOL!!
I agree. Children can do so much more than we give them credit for. I have a new 22 month old who started a week ago and every time I gave her a regular cup she would dump it on purpose so I let her have her sippy but only at meals. When we were outside I would give her a regular cup of water (they always have full cups of water when we are outside) and yesterday I was pleased to tell her mom that we are done with the sippy cup because she didn't spill the regular cup at all.
A daycare parent remarked to me last week that my 2 year old is really good at using his utensils and that her son isnt. I told her that's because I started giving him silverware at 1 year. He has had an entire year to figure it out. Most parents don't give utensils until they think their child is ready to use them perfectly. It doesnt cross their minds that it's a practice makes perfect activity.
Heidi 12:14 PM 08-31-2012

same here...

I only use a "sippy cup" from when about the time they start on solids until they seem more aware of what's going on at the table (they don't flip their plate over, for example). But always at the table. Nothing gets carried around. Even outside, they bring their cup to the faucet for a fill, then give them back to me when done. They don't have to sit to drink outside, but no wandering, either.
MaritimeMummy 12:37 PM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
A daycare parent remarked to me last week that my 2 year old is really good at using his utensils and that her son isnt. I told her that's because I started giving him silverware at 1 year. He has had an entire year to figure it out. Most parents don't give utensils until they think their child is ready to use them perfectly. It doesnt cross their minds that it's a practice makes perfect activity.
I'm the same way with the utensils. Funny how a person doesn't really relate utensil use with cup use. ;-)

I tried restricting the fluids but it's going to be a slow process, I can tell. I'm soooo tired of the kids picking up the wrong cups and drinking from them.
Heidi 12:44 PM 08-31-2012

I bought little china espresso cups at the dollar store. They hold maybe 4 oz, and I introduced them to the twins I had at about 14-15 months. Because they are a little heavier, they don't spill as easily as plastic or paper.

In over a year, only one has been broken.

As for running around, seat belt until that stops! Everyone asks to be excused, except the 10 month old I have. I ask him every time..."would you like to be excused?" He hasn't answered yet...lol
nanglgrl 03:15 PM 08-31-2012

I'm the same way with the utensils. Funny how a person doesn't really relate utensil use with cup use. ;-)

I tried restricting the fluids but it's going to be a slow process, I can tell. I'm soooo tired of the kids picking up the wrong cups and drinking from them.
I use a permanent marker and put a different shape on each cup and each kid gets the same one every day. The kids catch on pretty quick to what shape they are plus I'm killing two birds with one stone! Lol. The same could be done with different colors. When they are younger and we first start the "shape cup" I place the cup on a laminated picture of them to make it easier.
Reply Up