Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you use speech recognition or hand type?
Speech Recognition Software 2 8.00%
Hand Typing - Keyboard 24 96.00%
Would consider speech recognition in the future 2 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Use Speech Recognition or Type?
Michael 12:08 PM 10-17-2014
I recently bought Dragon speech recognition software and wonder who uses what here. I personally type slowly so being able to talk and have words appear as fast as I speak is helpful. The problem I find is and having to use punctuation commands like "comma, period, question mark and new paragraph" to also control the software.

I speak publically around the world and do not read from a TelePrompTer or written notes. I am starting to worry that this new Logic will creep into my proformance and I will subconsciously and inadvertently use the commands as I speak out of habit. Anyone else have this problem?

At the very least I'd like to use poll to find out who uses what. Thanks
Cradle2crayons 12:18 PM 10-17-2014
I have dragon on my laptop. I've had it for years but I don't use it much.

I type 120 wpm so honestly, dragon makes it slower for me.

My bestie uses it to type her college papers because it's faster for her.
Michael 12:30 PM 10-17-2014
120 wpm! Wow, that's faster then I think!
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 10-17-2014
Same here ^^

Dragon came pre-loaded onto my laptop when I bought it but I don't use it.
I can type much faster.

I do however, use the talk to text function on my i-phone verses having to try to type on those tiny little buttons.
Cradle2crayons 12:32 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:
Apparently dragon agrees lol.

My daughter is 11 and can already do 20 wpm... It would be more but the poor girl can't spell worth a crap... God bless her... Lol..
Cradle2crayons 12:33 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here ^^

Dragon came pre-loaded onto my laptop when I bought it but I don't use it.
I can type much faster.

I do however, use the talk to text function on my i-phone verses having to try to type on those tiny little buttons.
Is there an iPad app that does it?? I'm pretty fast on the iPad and iPad mini but the screen sensitivity can't keep up ha.
Cradle2crayons 12:34 PM 10-17-2014
Since I came home to be with the kids, I've looked for home jobs where I could type but apparently none exist that are real I could make a fortune if I could find leads.
Sugar Magnolia 12:36 PM 10-17-2014
I do EVERYTHING on my Android phone. I use Swype. Faster than clicking on individual letters. Lots of autocorrect though.
melilley 12:50 PM 10-17-2014
I type, otherwise I just keep looking at what is typed after I say it and it just takes a lot longer. I'm technically challenged though
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 10-17-2014
I recently bought Dragon speech recognition software and wonder who uses what here. I personally type slowly so being able to talk and have words appear as fast as I speak is helpful. The problem I find is and having to use punctuation commands like "comma, period, question mark and new paragraph" to also control the software.

I speak publically around the world and do not read from a TelePrompTer or written notes. I am starting to worry that this new Logic will creep into my proformance and I will subconsciously and inadvertently use the commands as I speak out of habit. Anyone else have this problem?

At the very least I'd like to use poll to find out who uses what. Thanks
Michael, what version of Dragon are you using?

My brother uses Dragon Naturally Speaking Professional version 8 and one of the features is automatic punctuation.

"Version 8 is a substantial improvement over previous versions, which I thought were no less than amazing. There are many new improvements in version 8, including automatic punctuation"

I think they have versions up to 13 now.... ? I don't know for sure.
daycare 12:55 PM 10-17-2014
not with this funny accent....hahahahah
Cradle2crayons 12:55 PM 10-17-2014

My brother uses Dragon Naturally Speaking Professional version 8 and one of the features is automatic punctuation.

"Version 8 is a substantial improvement over previous versions, which I thought were no less than amazing. There are many new improvements in version 8, including automatic punctuation"

Oh man!! I didn't know there was an auto punctuation update... I need to check my source for that new version and try it out.
daycare 12:58 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
not with this funny accent....hahahahah
I try to use SIRI on my phone and that does not work at all....everything that I say gets twisted. I do type pretty fast, never been timed, but I am faster than most people.....
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I try to use SIRI on my phone and that does not work at all....everything that I say gets twisted. I do type pretty fast, never been timed, but I am faster than most people.....
Here you can take a free typing test for speed and accuracy

http://www.typingtest.com/index.html
Laurel 01:05 PM 10-17-2014

I just did the test for fun. My score was 59 words a minute with three errors so my actual score was 56 words per minute. I did the tiger one. You can pick your topic.

Before doing childcare for 20 years I was a secretary and only get practice on forums like this now. Not too bad of a speed considering....

Laurel
daycare 01:06 PM 10-17-2014

lol I am slow 98 words per min with corrections.....lol thanks for sharing that with me. That was fun.
Cat Herder 01:19 PM 10-17-2014
120 wpm used to be the minimum required for hire back in the day.

I type very fast, my income used to depend on it. I can also do it accurately at 120mph in the back of a speeding vehicle shuffling through traffic.

I don't think I'd have to patience to train a dragon, though...
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
120 wpm used to be the minimum required for hire back in the day.
"Back in the day" I actually took a course in Shorthand.

In high school.
Michael 01:26 PM 10-17-2014

I just bought the latest version. It was $100.
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 10-17-2014
I just bought the latest version. It was $100.
If you got either of these:

You should have the Automatic Punctuation feature built in:

"Punctuation: Automatic punctuation

Dragon 13 includes an Automatic Punctuation feature that can automatically add periods and commas at the appropriate places in your dictation without you having to explicitly speak them.

Using Automatic Punctuation can be helpful while you are getting used to Dragon by letting you focus on what you are saying rather than how your speech is punctuated.

As you become more adept at dictation and want more control over where punctuation appears, you may want to explicitly dictate all your punctuation.

Hint: If commas and periods consistently do not appear where you expect them, try changing the length of your pauses. For example, if you normally speak rapidly, try to lengthen the time of your pauses to indicate the need for punctuation.

There are several ways to start Automatic punctuation:

•You can turn Automatic punctuation on and off by voice by saying "autopunctuation on" and "autopunctuation off."
•Selecting Auto-Formatting Options from the Tools menu of the DragonBar and clicking "Automatically add commas and periods."

http://dragoncontent.nuance.com/trai.../automatic.htm
Cradle2crayons 01:39 PM 10-17-2014

I'm so going to do this on my laptop tonight... I haven't tested in YEARS. Heck I may only type 12 wpm now haha
BumbleBee 06:13 PM 10-17-2014
68 wpm. Considering I rarely type anymore I'm surprised!
Cradle2crayons 06:58 PM 10-17-2014
Dangit! I've regressed! lol mine said 118 wpm. I guess I should practice more. Using the ipad more often than the real keyboard has ruined my typing ability LOL

Definately do NOT do the space one!! WAYYYYY too many numbers and --'s
Sunchimes 08:24 PM 10-17-2014
I'm late to the post and see that you have a solution. Many decades ago, I worked at an insurance complany and we used Dictaphones which went to a typing pool, since this was before computers. You know, back in the Dark Ages. Anyway, we had to use the punctuation and spaces and caps. I don't remember it leaking into my speech very much, but it lodged in my brain. Even know, as I type or write, it happens in my head. In my head just now, I was saying "...w-r-i-t-e comma i-t-space h-a-p-p-e-n-s space i-n-space m-y space h-e-a-dperiod. Capital I....." IT's been almost 40 years and I still think that way. So yes, it does lodge in your brain forever.
Annalee 08:31 PM 10-17-2014
"Back in the day" I actually took a course in Shorthand.

In high school.
I took shorthand as well, along with Accounting because I thought I was heading into a business degree I also got to go to the state competitions because of my fast typing...I can't get over how my brother types with two fingers on his computer..he doesn't even hold his hands right....lol But I guess I get the best of both worlds, running my own business and taking care of children!
BumbleBee 08:39 PM 10-17-2014
80's baby here. What is shorthand????
Annalee 08:45 PM 10-17-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
when listening to someone else talk, I would use shorthand to dictate what they are saying using "symbols" and then go type the letter. I can still do it....sometimes I will listen to a song on the radio and write it in shorthand just to see if I can still keep up.....like I said, I really liked the business classes I took in high school... I graduated in 1984 right before computers come into play!
KidGrind 04:25 AM 10-18-2014
I don’t think it will effect your public speaking.

I did have a problem with my typing & spelling, once I learned stenography.
Sunchimes 12:17 PM 10-18-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
50s baby here. Shorthand is a system of using symbols for words instead of having to write out complete words. In old movies, you see the boss tell the secretary to "take a memo", and the secretary sits down with her notebook in her hand. As he talks, she scribbles it all in her notebook, and later she transcribes it into a letter. It's sort of a morse code for secretaries. Edited to say that morse code is a bad comparison. It is alphabet based. Shorthand has an alphabet I think, but it also has abbreviated signs for entire words and common phrases.
Wednesday! 07:07 PM 11-17-2014
On lightening deal at 740am on Amazon!! I'm sure the price will be way less than the listed price!
Attached: Screenshot_2014-11-17-20-58-23.jpg (9.6 KB) 
Tags:apps, poll, software, speech recognition
Reply Up