Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime For The Provider! Can I Take A Nap?
Unregistered 11:02 AM 01-23-2012
Just wondering your thoughts on naptime for the provider

ALL 6 of my kiddos sleep 1:30 until 3:30, sometimes longer. I have a very open floorplan, and can hear everything at all times. 3 of the kids are my own, so I have that "mommy instinct," that wakes me up in 1/2 a second- I am a very light sleeper. Sooooooo, here's my question.

Would it be inappropriate if I took a cat-nap on the couch (central of the house) while the kids were sleeping, IF it were somewhere I could hear everyone AND everyone was already alseep?

Do any of you guys do this already? Do you think the parents would care?
Cat Herder 11:11 AM 01-23-2012
It is illegal, here.

If you are unregulated, maybe it would be allowed with parent permission? IDK....

I'd be too afraid of a child dying or being injured because I missed something.

I know there are 3rd shift providers who MUST sleep, but I don't think I could take that kind of risk.
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 01-23-2012
I don't know what your laws are in your state but as a parent, if I was paying you to watch/care for my children and I found out you were napping, I would be livid! I would also remove my children from your care. But that is my personal opinion.

We had a report in our area of a provider doing just that and we found out there are no actual laws saying she can't but our licensor said that she would not recommend doing this. She also said that if the provider was going to continue she should have something on file stating the parents were aware that she was napping on their dime.

Me, as a provider? I would NEVER EVER in a million years nap while the children were in my care. I pee as quick as I can and I think I might be down to less than 15 seconds on that and I still feel bad...
MyAngels 11:13 AM 01-23-2012
It's illegal here, too, and as a parent I'd be pi$$ed off enough to report it if I found out my provider was asleep while my children were in care.
Sunshine44 11:14 AM 01-23-2012
I don't think it is a wise idea, but I think it depends on the person, lic'd or not, your relationship with the family...and such.

If I sent my daughter somewhere I'd probably be upset if they slept while she was there...but if it were my friend who was keeping her for me and I knew she was in a crib it'd probably be ok.

Who knows.
newtodaycare22 11:14 AM 01-23-2012
I would never, even nap when the kids are here. I'm right by them too but its my responsibility to be alert for them if they need me.

I've had more than one parent tell me that I SHOULD nap, since they tell mothers to 'nap while the kids nap', but I make it clear that will never happen. lol I'm not the mommy, I'm the daycare provider
Breezy 11:14 AM 01-23-2012
I do this if everyone is napping at the same time. I only have young toddlers and infants right now though so they are safe in pack and plays (or my son in his crib). Parents know I do and are fine with it. Its not an every day thing and only after things are ready for them to wake up. I have baby monitors for both rooms.
JenNJ 11:17 AM 01-23-2012
I would never, ever. It is unprofessional. I am paid to care for children, not to nap. I think it is just plain lazy honestly.
Unregistered 11:20 AM 01-23-2012
I am actually surprised by everyone's reactions. Is it really that bad to set an alarm and close my eyes for 30 minutes or so, while everyone is safe sleeping in cribs and PNP's?
(Maybe it is- which is why I wanted everyone else's opinions, but still, I am surprised). The parents don't pay me to do my laundry or dishes, but I do that when they sleep. I have had these kids for over a year and know their patterns- obviously if they were sick, etc that would be different. Maybe I am playing Devil's advocate here, but what could possibly happen? Everyone is asleep! We are talking 30 minutes.
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am actually surprised by everyone's reactions. Is it really that bad to set an alarm and close my eyes for 30 minutes or so, while everyone is safe sleeping in cribs and PNP's?
(Maybe it is- which is why I wanted everyone else's opinions, but still, I am surprised). The parents don't pay me to do my laundry or dishes, but I do that when they sleep. I have had these kids for over a year and know their patterns- obviously if they were sick, etc that would be different. Maybe I am playing Devil's advocate here, but what could possibly happen? Everyone is asleep! We are talking 30 minutes.
I don't do my laundry while kids are asleep but I do the dishes because that is part of daycare..the kids ate off the dishes so I have to wash them while I am awake and alert and able to care for them. Napping is not awake, alert or available for care.

What could happen?? Do you really have to ask??
Unregistered 11:27 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I would never, ever. It is unprofessional. I am paid to care for children, not to nap. I think it is just plain lazy honestly.
I am open 12 hours a day, and some of the children are here all 12 hours. I have a very structured routine, take them outside, teach them everything, potty train them, and bust my behind. No tv. I work very, very hard. It is not laziness, it is human nature to need to get refreshed, so I can work hard until pick up time. If a child is in a PNP, asleep, why not? I have no infants so SIDS is not an issue. IF they crawled out of their PNP, I have everything gated, but that has yet to happen, AND I would wake up, as my couch is 15 feet away from the room where they are sleeping. If I leave their door open I can hear them.
Heidi 11:28 AM 01-23-2012
It is illegal here, as well. That was really tough when I was pregnant, I have to tell you. Occasionally, I admit, I'd sit down in a chair and nod off (this was over 11 years ago)

I do all sorts of things when the kids are sleeping, fold laundry, clean up, schoolwork, and projects. Sleeping is not one of them...

If something did happen, and it was determined you were sleeping, you'd probably be in a heap of trouble. I just wouldn't take the risk, even if it's not against your regs.
Cat Herder 11:29 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I do this if everyone is napping at the same time. I only have young toddlers and infants right now though so they are safe in pack and plays (or my son in his crib). Parents know I do and are fine with it. Its not an every day thing and only after things are ready for them to wake up. I have baby monitors for both rooms.
My infant son was safe and sound in his crib, too.... The provider was in the shower when he died.....

I just don't think I could live with that as a provider. She owns a mirror, too.

Sure, it is a rare thing.... but it does happen. When it does, life will NEVER be the same.

It is a different level of responsibility, caring for someone elses kids.

Please don't think I am coming down on you.... I probably would have felt the same way if it had not happened to me.
Heidi 11:30 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
My infant son was safe and sound in his crib, too.... The provider was in the shower when he died.....

I just don't think I could live with that as a provider. She owns a mirror, too.

Sure, it is a rare thing.... but it does happen. When it does, life will NEVER be the same.

Please don't think I am coming down on you.... I probably would have felt the same way if it had not happened to me.
I'm so sorry, Cath-
momofboys 11:31 AM 01-23-2012
I don't think it is terrible. I do my laundry during naptime but then my washing machine & dryer are off to the side of my kitchen in plain sight of the kitchen & play area. But then I only care for 2-3 kids at a time. I am sorry that someone called you lazy. Gee whiz people give her a break. You don't know what sort of sleep she gets at night & I find nothing wrong with taking a 30 min catnap so long as all kids are asleep & are on baby monitors & you are not a heavy sleeper. I personally don't nap but I won't point fingers & say it is terrible or that she is lazy to do so so long as she is responsible about it.
Breezy 11:32 AM 01-23-2012

so sorry..
momofboys 11:33 AM 01-23-2012

I am soooo sorry to hear about this! How heartbreaking.

These things do unfortunately happen but couldn't this happen even if you were very watchful?
Unregistered 11:35 AM 01-23-2012

Wow, I am SO sorry to hear about your son. That puts things in perspective. Thank you for sharing.
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I am soooo sorry to hear about this! How heartbreaking.

These things do unfortunately happen but couldn't this happen even if you were very watchful?
Maybe, but would you want to live with that doubt and the whispers all over town?
Breezy 11:38 AM 01-23-2012
With how light of a sleeper I am I guess I don't see the difference between me sitting here listening to the monitor (which I'm doing now) to me dozing off on the couch. I hear every sigh and breath over the monitor. And still check on them a million times.

Usually when my son is sleeping at the same time as daycare baby, she is in the same room as me in her infant sleeper thing.
Heidi 11:39 AM 01-23-2012
Maybe, but would you want to live with that doubt and the whispers all over town?
If something like that happens, you'd beat yourself up enough without the added guilt of KNOWING you were breaking the rules. If it's not against the rules in her state, then it's technically ok, but I would not do it!
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 01-23-2012
I am open 12 hours a day, and some of the children are here all 12 hours. I have a very structured routine, take them outside, teach them everything, potty train them, and bust my behind. No tv. I work very, very hard. It is not laziness, it is human nature to need to get refreshed, so I can work hard until pick up time. If a child is in a PNP, asleep, why not? I have no infants so SIDS is not an issue. IF they crawled out of their PNP, I have everything gated, but that has yet to happen, AND I would wake up, as my couch is 15 feet away from the room where they are sleeping. If I leave their door open I can hear them.
Hun, if you are that tired, I would suggest taking some time off or perhaps shortening your day a bit. I am not trying to be snarky or rude, as I have a plenty of empathy for you as it is difficult to get any downtime in this profession.

However, as Catherder mentioned....there is just too much liability involved when watching other people's children. too many things CAN and do happen, why add more? kwim?
Unregistered 11:41 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I don't think it is terrible. I do my laundry during naptime but then my washing machine & dryer are off to the side of my kitchen in plain sight of the kitchen & play area. But then I only care for 2-3 kids at a time. I am sorry that someone called you lazy. Gee whiz people give her a break. You don't know what sort of sleep she gets at night & I find nothing wrong with taking a 30 min catnap so long as all kids are asleep & are on baby monitors & you are not a heavy sleeper. I personally don't nap but I won't point fingers & say it is terrible or that she is lazy to do so so long as she is responsible about it.
Thank you for assuming that I am not lazy- I actually responded to that person but I see that it hasn't posted bc it hasn't been approved yet.

And I am awake everyday at 5:00am, with my darling little angel who just likes the mornings, and I go to bed as soon as I get my oldest to sleep, and have cleaned the house for the day. And I am 12 weeks pregnant with twins, so yep, I am very tired, which is why I asked this question. I was afraid to mention that Iwas pregnant because I don't want to hear any comments like, "Well maybe you should rething watching so many kids," etc, because I HAVE to do this for my family and make the money. I just don't want to kill myself doing it, or stress my unborn children too much.

But thank you again, for trying to look at the "whole" picture and not judging me based on an innocent question.
Cat Herder 11:43 AM 01-23-2012
12 hour days are exhausting. I don't do them anymore because of it.

This field is very difficult, believe me, I understand it.

Is there a way you can shorten your hours and still be profitable?

Do you have a family member who can come in and relieve you for a hour or two for the duration of your pregnancy?
Heidi 11:46 AM 01-23-2012
Thank you for assuming that I am not lazy- I actually responded to that person but I see that it hasn't posted bc it hasn't been approved yet.

And I am awake everyday at 5:00am, with my darling little angel who just likes the mornings, and I go to bed as soon as I get my oldest to sleep, and have cleaned the house for the day. And I am 12 weeks pregnant with twins, so yep, I am very tired, which is why I asked this question. I was afraid to mention that Iwas pregnant because I don't want to hear any comments like, "Well maybe you should rething watching so many kids," etc, because I HAVE to do this for my family and make the money. I just don't want to kill myself doing it, or stress my unborn children too much.

But thank you again, for trying to look at the "whole" picture and not judging me based on an innocent question.
If it is not against you regs, then I would probably go ahead and do it considering your circumstances. I remember being pregnant, I COULDNT stay awake sometimes.
Unregistered 11:49 AM 01-23-2012
I would LOVE to shorten my hours/days, etc, I just don't know how to go about doing it. I know that I will lose 2 families if I did, for sure. Then, I don't know how many people would want to bring their children to a provider who was pregnant (with twins, no doubt), as I feel that I would have to tell them during the interview process to be fair to them. Not too many people will be excited knowing that I will probably have to take time off early, and a few weeks afterwards. And I onloy know how to advertise through craigslist, so my pickings are small.

I am exhausted, and I work myself to the bone everyday. When I was working outside the home, it was a heck of a lot easier! I feel like I never get appreciated, and that all of the hard work that I do goes unseen. I just wish there was another way!
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 01-23-2012
I would LOVE to shorten my hours/days, etc, I just don't know how to go about doing it. I know that I will lose 2 families if I did, for sure. Then, I don't know how many people would want to bring their children to a provider who was pregnant (with twins, no doubt), as I feel that I would have to tell them during the interview process to be fair to them. Not too many people will be excited knowing that I will probably have to take time off early, and a few weeks afterwards. And I onloy know how to advertise through craigslist, so my pickings are small.

I am exhausted, and I work myself to the bone everyday. When I was working outside the home, it was a heck of a lot easier! I feel like I never get appreciated, and that all of the hard work that I do goes unseen. I just wish there was another way!
Is there anyway you could possibly hire an assistant for this time? How about if you asked parents to volunteer a few hours a day if you can't afford any help.

What about if you talked to the parents and asked them to use you strictly for work hours only? Do all of your families bring their kids for 12 hours per day or is it that you have some come in the morning and some come later so they are picked up later making the day long?

If all else fails, I would talk with your DC parents and see if they mind if you nap/rest while their kids do...

Hang in there....
JenNJ 12:00 PM 01-23-2012
Here are the facts - if you can't stay awake during work, you need to reduce your workload. Shorten your hours, care for less children, go to bed earlier, etc. Millions of women work through pregnancy everyday. You are excusing a VERY bad decision by blaming it on your pregnancy. Your job is to provide excellent care to children. You sleeping is not excellent care. Its dangerous, stupid, and negligent. No one else sleeps during work, so neither should daycare providers. It is unprofessional and makes all of us look bad.
Unregistered 12:06 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is there anyway you could possibly hire an assistant for this time? How about if you asked parents to volunteer a few hours a day if you can't afford any help.

What about if you talked to the parents and asked them to use you strictly for work hours only? Do all of your families bring their kids for 12 hours per day or is it that you have some come in the morning and some come later so they are picked up later making the day long?

If all else fails, I would talk with your DC parents and see if they mind if you nap/rest while their kids do...

Hang in there....
Those are all good ideas. Not all of the families come for all 12 hours, but I made the mistake of having open/close hours so they definitely take their time kwim? Maybe I will hire an assistant on a temporary basis, that's probably the most responsible way to handle it. I don't know if we can afford it but it's worth looking into.

Thank you for all of your advice!
Blackcat31 12:09 PM 01-23-2012
Another good way to handle mis-use of your open/close hours are to offer one rate (your regular rate) for an 8 hour day, a higher rate for any day over 8 hours and an even higher rate for hours over 9 per day.

Makes parents have an incentive to pick up early and not leave their kid in care for the full 1 hour day.

Plus if you do that, it will give you some extra cash for an assistant.
Unregistered 12:16 PM 01-23-2012
Here are the facts - if you can't stay awake during work, you need to reduce your workload. Shorten your hours, care for less children, go to bed earlier, etc. Millions of women work through pregnancy everyday. You are excusing a VERY bad decision by blaming it on your pregnancy. Your job is to provide excellent care to children. You sleeping is not excellent care. Its dangerous, stupid, and negligent. No one else sleeps during work, so neither should daycare providers. It is unprofessional and makes all of us look bad.
Thank you for all of your facts. I am quite aware that millions of women work through pregnancy everyday, I have done it 3 times before, and it was a million times easier, I was paid 3 times more, and yes, actually, I did get to take periodic, brief naps on my mandated lunch break, without compromising my job. So now I am lazy, stupid, and negligent? I came to an anonymous forum for opinions and advice BEFORE taking any actions- that is the responsible thing to do.

My suggestion to you would be to remove your white wig and stop being so judgmental and self-righteous. Clearly, you have an opinion, which you already stated- we don't need to hear it again. Unless you have some real, beneficial advice/experience/etc., please transfer your negativity to another thread.
DCMom 12:22 PM 01-23-2012
It's not something that I would do. I view this as my profession and I don't know of many (if any) professions that allow naps.

I have a former dcfamily who came here because mom stopped to pick up her girls (age 3 & 4) early from their former daycare and found them playing in the next door neighbors garage. Early spring, warm but still some snow on the ground. Socks only, no shoes, no coats. She grabbed the girls and went into the daycare...only to find the provider asleep in the recliner in the family room. Two empty nap cots not three feet from her and two other kids still sleeping on theirs.

She quietly grabbed her girls things and took them home, not waking the provider. She went home and waited for the provider to call her and tell her that her girls were missing. It took ONE HOUR for her to get the call that her girls were missing.

Did I mention that the provider and the mom were best friends at the time? Not anymore. The police and licensing got involved...the provider lost her license and eventually moved out of the neighborhood.

Anything can happen in a blink of an eye. Even with the best of intentions.
saved4always 12:34 PM 01-23-2012
I worked a full time job when I was pregnant (all 3 times). I got two 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch. My bosses had no problem with me putting my head down for half an hour during my lunch hour. And I made a ton more money than daycare pays. If it is not against regulations in your area and if your parents know you are pregnant, maybe you could ask them if they mind if you close your eyes for a few minutes during the kids' naps.
saved4always 12:40 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Another good way to handle mis-use of your open/close hours are to offer one rate (your regular rate) for an 8 hour day, a higher rate for any day over 8 hours and an even higher rate for hours over 9 per day.

Makes parents have an incentive to pick up early and not leave their kid in care for the full 1 hour day.

Plus if you do that, it will give you some extra cash for an assistant.
Maybe if you tell them that, if they come only between the 8 or 9 hours that would work best for you (7 a.m. to 4 p.m. or whatever), they can have a lower rate. Parents often make it work to pay less .
SilverSabre25 12:45 PM 01-23-2012
Name calling is uncalled for; surely you can find a more respecftul way to get your point across.
wdmmom 12:59 PM 01-23-2012
Depending on the hours you are working, is putting the kids back to bed when they get there an option. Even if it's for an hour? That would give you an extra hour to relax and rest before really "starting" your day.

All of my kids sleep during the same time so I find myself bored and occasionally tired during naptime too. If I'm feeling a need to rest, I set the timer on my microwave (so I have to get up to turn it off) and will lay on the couch for 10 minutes. I don't sleep but I do feel that it gives me a good moment to relax, let it all go and start over. If laying down isn't what I want to do, I stand in the doorway and breathe in some nice, crisp winter air. That always seems to wake me up.
JenNJ 01:12 PM 01-23-2012
I didn't call anyone a name. If you re-read the sentences I said that her decision to sleep was stupid. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm hoping that you will look at this from a safety standpoint. It is not safe to sleep in a house filled with children. There are thousands of things that can go wrong on any given day when caring for children, even when a caregiver is awake. Most days pass without incident. All it takes is one slip up, one bad decision, one oversight and you can endanger a child's life. That one oversight can ruin your life, your family's life, the child's, life, and the child's family's life. Your future is not worth a nap. Honestly, it isn't.

And the references to other lines of work aren't relevant. In almost any other profession, employees get a mandated break from working. In this profession, we don't. We are responsible 100% of the time a child is here.

And I am sorry if I came off harsh before, but risking a child's well being isn't something anyone should take lightly. Even if a caregiver has taken a million naps without a child waking, it doesn't matter. All it takes is ONE incident. Just one.
Meyou 01:18 PM 01-23-2012
I would never do it. I've dozed off twice in 6 years reading at naptime so I don't read at naptime anymore. In fact I could sleep everyday at naptime if I let myself....I'm that tired some days but I just don't think it's safe with DCK's in the house. I'm being paid to keep them safe and I can't do that when I'm asleep.

I take a super quick shower at naptime in the summer because we go to the beach everyday. But my dd is 13 and watches the kids (sleeping) while I'm in there. The parents are all aware of this as well.
greenhouse 01:24 PM 01-23-2012
No matter how tired I am I could never sleep in the middle of the day. Kids are quietest when they are getting into to trouble, it's a recipe for disaster to sleep.
Hunni Bee 01:37 PM 01-23-2012
Its a bad idea. If anything goes wrong, no matter if was something out of your control or not, its going to come down.on your head if someone finds out you were asleep.
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 01-23-2012
I didn't call anyone a name. If you re-read the sentences I said that her decision to sleep was stupid. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm hoping that you will look at this from a safety standpoint. It is not safe to sleep in a house filled with children. There are thousands of things that can go wrong on any given day when caring for children, even when a caregiver is awake. Most days pass without incident. All it takes is one slip up, one bad decision, one oversight and you can endanger a child's life. That one oversight can ruin your life, your family's life, the child's, life, and the child's family's life. Your future is not worth a nap. Honestly, it isn't.

And the references to other lines of work aren't relevant. In almost any other profession, employees get a mandated break from working. In this profession, we don't. We are responsible 100% of the time a child is here.

And I am sorry if I came off harsh before, but risking a child's well being isn't something anyone should take lightly. Even if a caregiver has taken a million naps without a child waking, it doesn't matter. All it takes is ONE incident. Just one.

Meeko 02:07 PM 01-23-2012
I would not sleep during the day care day. I would go to bed earlier, get someone to watch for you while you take nap...but never just do it.

You said you are a light sleeper. Parents that have rolled over in bed and killed their co-sleeping babies have stated they don't understand how it happened because they are light sleepers.

The fact is nobody sleeps "with one eye open". You could drift off so soundly that you don't hear a child throw up, or choke or a million other things.

I know how tiring this job can be. I started 27 years ago. I had the last two of my kids while in my 30's. Boy could I tell the difference from being in my 20's!!! So tired!!!! But I never napped during day care hours. Waaaay too dangerous.
sharlan 02:14 PM 01-23-2012
You need to call your local licensing agency to find out what the laws are in your state.

Personally, with the ages of your daycare kids, I wouldn't risk it.

I have a 9 yo that comes at 4:45 AM. I called licensing and asked about going back to sleep. I was told that although it wasn't recommended it wasn't illegal as long as I had a baby monitor set up. I tried it once and couldn't go back to sleep.
PitterPatter 02:46 PM 01-23-2012

ALL 6 of my kiddos sleep 1:30 until 3:30, sometimes longer. I have a very open floorplan, and can hear everything at all times. 3 of the kids are my own, so I have that "mommy instinct," that wakes me up in 1/2 a second- I am a very light sleeper. Sooooooo, here's my question.

Would it be inappropriate if I took a cat-nap on the couch (central of the house) while the kids were sleeping, IF it were somewhere I could hear everyone AND everyone was already alseep?

I would never sleep while kids are in care. I felt guilty cat napping with my own baby years ago but had to sleep when he slept. It is not allowed here anyway.

Too much can happen, a seizure, a health issue that no one knows about, climb out and get into something, fall out and break a bone or worse etc. Heck you could fall asleep and not wake up or have something happen to you. LOTS can happen and if it would u would have to live with that guilt for the rest of your life and parents without a child. I say just dont do it.

How long do you work? Maybe cut the hours back a little. Maybe call in some help? I get tired too and if I sit very long I would nod off so I do dishes, plan meals, paperwork etc. to keep me going. Even tho we are doing those things we are alert just in case.
Heidi 03:26 PM 01-23-2012
In WI, anyway, licensed providers must be awake during licensed hours if there are any children in care.

Certified providers (caring for 3 or less children under the age of 7), can sleep while children are asleep. Most people use this for overnight care situations, or if they have one child that comes really early (my sis has one that starts at 4:45am, he gets tucked into bed and sleeps until 7:30 or so. My sister also sleeps until then.

There are so many variables here, you just need to use your best judgement and follow your regs.
e.j. 03:31 PM 01-23-2012
Given all the above, I can understand how you could be tempted to take a nap. It really isn't worth the risk, though. Can I ask.....are you by yourself? If you have a husband or significant other, is that person available to help out either by getting up early in the morning with your little one, allowing you to sleep a little longer, helping out with the housework at night or by taking on the responsibility of getting your oldest child to bed so you can go to bed a little earlier?
LittleD 03:33 PM 01-23-2012

Nap, no, accidentally dozed, yes, while in the same room waiting for them to fall asleep They outlasted me I had to get up and leave the room so I didn't fall on the floor.
I put my feet up (lazy boy, feet at/above heart level) for 20 mins. My hubby suggested it, and I tell you it really does re-energize you!
My parents have made remarks about me getting to take a nap while kids did is exactly what I did to them! Then I say I wish.
Although I am an uber light sleeper, I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon by our licenser, so I don't.
laundrymom 03:45 PM 01-23-2012
Never sleep. Period. I'm 40, work 4am-6pm, have 10 day kids. Ages 6 mo to 5 yrs. I worked thru 4 pregnancies. I get exhausted. Grab an orange, a Pb sandwich, some juice. Its not easy. But other peoples children are your incentive.
AnneCordelia 04:18 PM 01-23-2012
I would never sleep on the job.

I did take a nap today while my own two little ones did but I miraculously had no children in care today.
Zoe 04:23 PM 01-23-2012
I've been tempted to nap during daycare hours, but I'm too freaked out that they would sneak out of the house or something!

I will say that I do first AND second shift daycare right now and I knew I couldn't do it without being able to sleep after the second shift goes to bed. But I talked to my licensor first and she told me to put in my contract that I will be sleeping while the child sleeps, where I will be, where the child will be, what precautions I will take to make sure the child stays safe, what to do when the parent picks up....it's extensive.

Mind you, that's at night. I don't know about first shift. Maybe if you have a very understanding group of parents and you get the ok from your licensor and cover it in your contract.

But I do agree with the PPs and will say it is risky no matter what you do.
Live and Learn 04:37 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Never sleep. Period. I'm 40, work 4am-6pm, have 10 day kids. Ages 6 mo to 5 yrs. I worked thru 4 pregnancies. I get exhausted. Grab an orange, a Pb sandwich, some juice. Its not easy. But other peoples children are your incentive.
Exactly!

Absolutely !!!!no napping!!!! when you are providing childcare!

Yikes! Totally not worth the risk!
Mary Poppins 07:50 PM 01-23-2012
I have two assistants at all times and wouldn't even risk napping while the dck's are here. But that's just me. I err on the side of... paranoid.
Lucy 08:03 PM 01-23-2012
It seems as if you want a YES from us. You asked for opinions, people gave them. Are you asking or defending your right to nap? If you already had your mind made up that it was ok, why ask? If the majority said they didn't feel it was kosher, then there's your answer. Doesn't mean you have to abide by it. Just sayin' ........
Unregistered 07:33 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Exactly!

Absolutely !!!!no napping!!!! when you are providing childcare!

Yikes! Totally not worth the risk!
Most states state in regulation that providers must be awake. I do know a provider that naps and has told me she does! I was shocked and don't think very highly of her as a provider anymore. The parents are paying you to watch their children. If you ar too tired, take a day off or quit. Don't put the lives of the children or your business at risk. Family Child Care is a business. It should be treated like one!
Nellie 08:19 AM 01-24-2012
I have been pregnant 4 times and every pregnancy is so different. I really don't think it is fair for people to say that they worked while pregnant so don't use that as an excuse for wanting to take a nap. I have had probable every extreme from hardly no sickness and just alittle exta tiredness to pucking all day long for 9 months and barely being able to stay away for more than 2 hours at a time and no more than 6 to 8 awake hours per day. Sometimes I'd have to nap in my car for a little bit after Doctors appointments because I was to tired to drive. Obvoiusly I could have never worked in my situation. That was my 3rd pregnancy and it was the worst.

With my 4th pregnancy I found out we were expecting when our son was only 8 months old. I had only been doing dc for 7 months. I felt ok the first month. I started to get a little tired and sick the next 3 months. My mother lives down the road and is a teacher. My college aged sisters would stop over in the morning and I'd be awake, but was to ill to be chasing and was spending most of the early am hours in the bathroom puking. They would stay until maybe 10. My mom would come over around 1 on average of 3 days a week and I'd nap while the kids napped, but my mom was there. I was unlisensed at the time and I let the parents know that I wasn't doing to hot and I was having some family come to help me.

I only had 2 families at the time. I was loosing one family to kindergarden and the other mom was let go from her job at the end of the summer. I took on my sisters brand new baby after that. I had my almost one year old son home with me to. I asked her if I was able to get both asleep could I lay down too. I put the PNP right by the couch and I would close my eyes, but I never slept. I felt to uncomfortable to sleep. Even though my sister was fine with it, I felt weird about it.
My husband was working in the area in Nov and would come home for lunch and I would nap for 30 to 45 mins when he was home and my sisters baby was sleeping. By Dec my husband was laid off and I felt more comfortable taking a nap knowing that he was there. First find out if lisensing is ok with it and if your parents are ok with it. Maybe a family member, friend, or a neighbor could come over at nap time so you could sleep at nap time. Try to get as much done by the time your last family leaves so that you can go to bed early. Get as much extra sleep on the weekends. Do the esentails and keep the weekends simple so you can rest up for the week.

This happened just the a few months ago. I woke up and got ready for the morning. I sat back down 5 mins before first DC family was suppose to come and I accidently fell back to sleep. I have DCF's walk right into the house. I wake up to seeing DCM placing 18 month old boy on floor and taking some toys off of the shelf and putting them down for him to play. I was so stunned and scared when I woke up. My 18 month old boy was sleeping on the couch so she new that I must have had a rough night. She told me that she was trying to get him situated so that she could let me keep sleeping. I appologized and I told her that it was sweet that she wanted to let me sleep, but it would be incredable unsafe if she left him while I was sleeping and to never think twice about waking me up if that ever happened again.
busymommy0420 11:33 AM 01-24-2012
I think there are so many other things you can do to relax your body without sleeping!

* Get a foot bath and soak your feet
* Put on your favorite CD and get cozy under a blanket
* Make a cup of tea
* Watch a movie or a tv show (I do on my laptop to keep the noise level low)
* Have a homemade smoothie (buy frozen fruit & blend with juice)
* Call an old friend and catch up
* Rub lotion on your body and do Yoga
* Read a new book
* Read a gossip magazine

So many more, do something different each day to keep a variety going. I have two hours to MYSELF everyday and try to do things from exercise, to watching LOST or posting things to sell on Craigs List. I love my break and have never thought of napping. I will go to bed early if I am tired!
Breezy 11:39 AM 01-24-2012
I just laid down while my DS and DCG were napping. I was freezing so I curled up on my bed with my kitties. I got up once to let the culligan guy in the house to drop off water but laid there most of nap time and I am no longer tired. Ahhhh felt so good.
Tags:laws, licensed vs unlicensed, nap - for provider, positional asphyxia, provider responsibility, regulations, sids, suids
Reply Up