Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding On...
Christian Mother 08:22 AM 04-25-2012
My families and I...well, we have a diff. type of relationship...I can't say it's biz like much as I feel like we've grown into "One big happy Family"...they've all been with me from the very beginning...

Now it comes to an end in exactly 1 month.

I let all the families know that 5/18/12 would be the last day of daycare...let them know almost 2 months ago so each family was able to fully prepare on transitioning over. I let them know I did understand if they needed to pull their child early to better get their children adjusted. It would also allow me more time on getting my self together here...I am moving on my own this whole house...

Not one family has found care yet...granted they still have a month to find it. One family is a teacher and she's out that last day of daycare...she has a month off before she returns to summer school. She is able to take one of her sons to school with her where as the other one she will have an extra month to look for care. But all the rest...they've looked but haven't found anything yet. You guys...It breaks my heart...I wish I could pack them all off and move them with me. It's taken a lot to finally be able to let go....but I can tell the parents are having a hard time letting go as well.

I think the families are having a hard time finding care and I am not sure if it is bc of rates are to high for them or the care or if the daycares have a lot of children...I don't want to keep the parents to long in the mornings so I don't get to ask all the questions I really wanted to ask..kwim? For me i charge really in the middle of what my area charges $25 a day up to 10 hrs. or $5 an hr less then 5 hrs. I have 2 full timers and I have 3 part timers that come opposite of each other to allow 4 each day. This seems to work well but I have one family that has needed more but aren't able to get more from me bc our contract only allows 2 days a week. This family has another daycare that take her children on the days I can't take them. It would sound better if she was able to switch her children full time to the other daycare specially since I will be done in a month but her friend only cares for her kids 2 days a week and then the other daycare that she plans to transfer them over to took a full time child over her 2 days. I don't blame them as full time trumps part time. It just what she will run into when she's looking into daycare. I need to sit this parent down and explain to her how daycare works bc I really want her children to do well in daycare and if she has them in diff. daycare each week...it's going to be hard on everyone. But to get back on the subject at hand...I just really hope that they all find good daycare homes or even facilities...you know?!!
cheerfuldom 08:50 AM 04-25-2012
Dont get over involved. They will all find something and figure things out on their own. Part time is hard to find and I am sure that by now, the parents are all aware of that. i really dont see having further discussions as being helpful. They are trying to figure it out and have a deadline so what else is there to say?
Christian Mother 10:11 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Dont get over involved. They will all find something and figure things out on their own. Part time is hard to find and I am sure that by now, the parents are all aware of that. i really dont see having further discussions as being helpful. They are trying to figure it out and have a deadline so what else is there to say?
Your right of course...I struggle with that..staying out of it. But that is just it...some of these families...by now they should know that it's hard to find daycare for part timers...but they don't get it. They want what they want. And they don't want to pay for days they aren't in care. I've spoiled them.
Ariana 10:24 AM 04-25-2012
Yeah some parents leave everything to the last minute and it's really not your problem...although I totally understand your concern. I had a woman contact me last week for care and she starts work this week!! Talk about leaving things to the last minute and we get 1 yr off in Canada. She's not the first to contact me last minute either. I feel so bad for those kids having to settle into daycare a few days before mom is back to work full-time.
Christian Mother 10:29 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Yeah some parents leave everything to the last minute and it's really not your problem...although I totally understand your concern. I had a woman contact me last week for care and she starts work this week!! Talk about leaving things to the last minute and we get 1 yr off in Canada. She's not the first to contact me last minute either. I feel so bad for those kids having to settle into daycare a few days before mom is back to work full-time.
Thank you for your post...that's exactly how I feel!
spud912 02:17 PM 04-25-2012
Are you moving or quitting daycare altogether?
Christian Mother 11:11 PM 05-11-2012
Spud-sorry,...just now getting back to this thread..

I am moving to Tucson...excited..scared..all so new as I've been in our home for 10 yrs..

We will be renting and I'm taking the summer off of daycare. I haven't decided if I would like to return to daycare or if I would like to work in the School system again as a Aid...to be honest I think I am just going to allow God to lead me... I was listening to KLOVE today and they where talking about when we pray about what direction we ask God to direct us or where she we be or go God is asking us to just be quiet and say "Yes"....I am just trying to figure out what the "Yes" means...
Sprouts 05:16 AM 05-12-2012
I wish u the best! I kind of wish I was in ur position, I am getting tired n this is only my first year!
Reply Up