Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Feel Bad If You Have Only One DCK For Some Reason?
SilverSabre25 01:21 PM 12-30-2010
Right now, there is only one kid at my house--DH and DD took the cat to the vet and everyone else was picked up already. I'm waiting on her daddy to come pick her up and she is having a BLAST playing on her own. I feel vaguely bad for just sitting here messing around on the computer, but she plays well independently and seems to be relishing the chance to enjoy the toys with no one else around. Frankly, I'm loving watching her play. If I wasn't needing to rest this afternoon, I'd be up cleaning, probably.

But there's the nagging little sense that I ought to be doing something more, entertaining her, playing with her, something, since she's the only one here right now. I'm wondering if anyone else feels bad if there's only one kiddo around for some reason.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm worrying is because I'm pregnant and pregnancy seems to make me mildly insane!
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 12-30-2010
OMG!! I am doing the same thing! I have one 3 year old here who has another hour before she gets picked up and I am messing around on the computer looking for after Christmas deals and chatting with my sister! .......I think I may be worse than you though because I put a movie in for her. We rarely do movies or TV so I'm looking at it like it is a a treat for her..... I could be playing with her but this is my Friday and after having a crazy week with all the school kids and such I am sooo ready to be done for the week!!!

Oh, and I am sooo NOT pregnant so I can't blame that. LOL!!
legomom922 01:36 PM 12-30-2010
I would not feel bad at all. I look at it this way: What would I be doing IF she were my own kid ? I certainly would not be entertaining her all day, I would be doing my stuff, or nothing would ever get done! Why would DCK's be any different? Treat them as you would your own. Besides, a little independance doesnt hurt, in fact it helps!
Cat Herder 01:53 PM 12-30-2010
I know their parents don't feel bad the days I do not get to eat at all, the days I can't get to the bathroom, the mornings I can't get a shower for a surprise early drop off, all the weekend phone calls, texts or emails....etc.

Just enjoy it, it is not our job to entertain them. It is our job to teach them to the skills they will need for a bright future. Seizing a rare opportunity to play independently and reveling in it is a skill that will serve her well. Good job!!!
Tags:one child alone
Reply Up