Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Those That do Field Trips?
sahm1225 07:07 PM 08-08-2010
How often do you do field trips and have parents ever had a concern about them? Would you cancel field trips to accomodate one family?

Here is my situation:
I have a small home daycare and currently have a total of 5 dck (plus my 2 kids) with an assitant working with me daily. All of the parents were informed when they signed on that during the summer I try and do field trips to the local zoo or the museums. So far this year we haven't done any field trips and last month I told the parents that we would do one this month. All of the parents were okay with it except one family. They called after they said okay and told me that it is too hard to remove and install their carseat and that they would just keep their child home the day of the field trip.
When I told them last week that the field trip (Weather permitting) is this Thursday, they said no objections.
Now I am wondering if I should just cancel the field trip if tomorrow they bring up an objection to the field trip and tell me that they wont be bringing their child in. My policy/contract states that if they give me more than 48hrs notice, that they dont pay for the day (silly I know- I am working on renewing the contracts). It just seems crazy that because of one family all the other dcks will suffer. But then I cant honestly afford to lose the days pay...
What to do oh what to do???
misol 07:36 PM 08-08-2010
You should absolutely take the field trip as planned. You are right that the other kids should not have to suffer because of the one family. The parent has already offered to keep the child home on the day of the trip. It sucks to lose the pay for that child for the day but since the parent has given you 48 hours notice you should honor your policy and not charge them for the day.

Since the parent doesn't seem upset, I am unclear as to why you are still considering canceling the trip? Is it strictly the money?
originalkat 07:54 PM 08-08-2010
I usually do 4 trips per year.
Fall- Pumpkin Patch
Winter- Children's Museum
Spring- Children's Theater
Summer- Zoo

This is one sentence from my Field Trip section of my Parent Handbook:
If you do not wish for your child to join us on the trip, it will be your responsibility to find alternate care for the day.

I would not feel bad about taking the field trip. If the parent does not want their child to participate they can keep him/her home. I would charge for the day.
Lianne 07:57 PM 08-08-2010
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
How often do you do field trips and have parents ever had a concern about them? Would you cancel field trips to accomodate one family?

Here is my situation:
I have a small home daycare and currently have a total of 5 dck (plus my 2 kids) with an assitant working with me daily. All of the parents were informed when they signed on that during the summer I try and do field trips to the local zoo or the museums. So far this year we haven't done any field trips and last month I told the parents that we would do one this month. All of the parents were okay with it except one family. They called after they said okay and told me that it is too hard to remove and install their carseat and that they would just keep their child home the day of the field trip.
When I told them last week that the field trip (Weather permitting) is this Thursday, they said no objections.
Now I am wondering if I should just cancel the field trip if tomorrow they bring up an objection to the field trip and tell me that they wont be bringing their child in. My policy/contract states that if they give me more than 48hrs notice, that they dont pay for the day (silly I know- I am working on renewing the contracts). It just seems crazy that because of one family all the other dcks will suffer. But then I cant honestly afford to lose the days pay...
Take the field trip. It's unfair to the other children to miss out on a neat learning experience because of one family's objections. It's their choice not to send their child that day, especially since you were upfront about field trips when they signed up. I would have a conversation with them about how you/they'll handle future field trips. Do they plan to keep their child home for each one? Would they rather purchase an extra carseat for their child to use in your vehicle?

For me, I don't own a vehicle so most field trips we do are done by walking or bus. Very rarely do I have access to a van or can arrange enough carpooling to manage to drive somewhere. None of my parents have an issue with any of our method of transportation. I discuss the kinds of things we do in the interview and if a family has issues with us leaving the home/neighbourhood then I'm not the provider for them. Parents know about most trips by drop off that morning or pick up the night before but usually even before that. If something comes up unexpectedly then I just text/email all the parents so they know where their child is. The parents do not require this notification, I provide it because I feel they need to know where their child is during the day and I know they appreciate that I keep them informed. I had a family in care who said they were okay with their child out in the community but in reality were not. They allowed their children to go on field trips but passive-agressively did what they could to sabotage our attempts. That family is no longer in my care Our field trips aren't that big. We go to the local library or the fire station for a tour or the pet store or grocery store, a dental office, etc. all places within our community and accessible by (at most) a 20min bus ride. Last week we walked to the library then grabbed a pizza for a picnic lunch. This week we're going on a tour of a local ice cream shop. Occasionally I'll have 2-3 kids and can borrow my parents car and we go to a slightly larger city to the children's museum or small zoo but that happens maybe once a year.

ETA - I've arranged field trips on days when my part timers aren't scheduled for care but invite the child and their parent along with us. It gives me an extra set of hands/eyes and an adult to chat with. I'm careful about which parent I invite with me (although I'd never refuse a parent if they asked to come) because their presence can backfire sometimes, lol.
QualiTcare 10:05 PM 08-08-2010

Here is my situation:
it's too hard to remove and install the carseat? uhh...okaaaay. that's weird.
maybe you could offer for them to drop her off at the field trip site and pick her up from there? if they take you up on it, you'd still get paid - and they wouldn't have to remove the carseat. i think that's a crock though - no carseat in the world is THAT hard!

either way, it's not fair to the other families to cancel the trip. they'd be upset.
nannyde 02:58 AM 08-09-2010
Go on the field trip and take the hit on the pay. You have an escape clause in your policies for them to use to keep the kid home and not pay so they are using it. Doesn't really matter why they are using it.

I don't do field trips other than neighborhood walks and I don't give free days so this doesn't come up.
MommyMuffin 05:32 AM 08-09-2010
I was really nervous about my provider driving anywhere with my daughter. She never told me she was taking her anywhere until after the fact and it bugged me. It bugs me more now that I am in the process of opening my own daycare and I know she isnt following the rules (paper work ect).
BUT I never said anything to her and I trust her and have never brought the subject up to her. She loves my daughter and my daughter loves her and the kids so I pick my battles. When I do open care I will notify parents about feildtrips because I think its important. As for your situation, I would get at the heart of the matter to prevent future problems, (difficult carseat??)hmm. I didnt want my daughter riding with the provider because I was a first time parent and just very nervous about accidents. But I also didnt want my daughter sitting around at daycare all the time and I am now thankful that she takes the children places.
sahm1225 05:47 AM 08-09-2010
The parent didn't say anything this morning. Thanks everyone for the tips. I have decided to go ahead and take the field trip this thursday. I guess I am nervous about the parents deciding to remove the child from my care because of the field trip, but I have thought about it and if that is enough to remove the child, then I will just have to find another family.

I think it's more that they are nervous parents about anyone driving around with their little one. I actually have an extra carseat, so should I offer to just use my carseat for their little one or would that be putting them on the spot?
misol 06:41 AM 08-09-2010
The parent didn't say anything this morning. Thanks everyone for the tips. I have decided to go ahead and take the field trip this thursday. I guess I am nervous about the parents deciding to remove the child from my care because of the field trip, but I have thought about it and if that is enough to remove the child, then I will just have to find another family.

I think it's more that they are nervous parents about anyone driving around with their little one. I actually have an extra carseat, so should I offer to just use my carseat for their little one or would that be putting them on the spot?
It definitely puts them on the spot - but that's good. it will force them to have a conversation with you about it. Then you can get to the REAL issue.
Tags:field trip
Reply Up