Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OMG all he does is cry.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:52 AM 02-08-2012
I have a 14 mo DCB that has been coming here for a month now, and all he does is cry.

Cries when im out of sight
cries when he eats
cries when his butt is changed
cries when we all look at him
cries when kids arrive
cries when they leave
cries when he has to have a nap
cries when I move
cries at the toys
cries at the kids

Cries all day long at everything.

What can I do to get him to stop? It's gonna be a long 3 days.
emosks 07:53 AM 02-08-2012
We had one like that. Started around 8 months. It took MONTHS for him to stop. Nothing helped. Nothing worked. It made for long days.
SilverSabre25 07:55 AM 02-08-2012
I had one like that...I honestly, with all my heart, believe that he had some sort of anxiety disorder. It was baaaaad. I loved him...but I'm glad he's gone now.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:59 AM 02-08-2012
What can I do about naps? I know he needs one but when I put him in his
pnp, he screams bloody murder and refuses to go to sleep.

He only falls asleep when I hold him but I have other kids to tend to and meals to make.

It's driving me and the other kids insane.
SilverSabre25 08:08 AM 02-08-2012
haha, I dunno, mine was only quiet when he was in his pnp. he did nap for me, at least.

HOnestly, if he's that miserable...I would probably let him go. Call it downsizing, whatever...you and the other kids do NOT need that stress.
Heidi 08:42 AM 02-08-2012
He needs to nap, and he needs to nap on his own!

Buy a sleep sack with a zipper on the back (so he can't scale the walls) Put the other kids down first, then take him in another room, snuggle him, reassure him, and tell him HOW LUCKY HE IS to get to go nighty night now in his own special bed. Then lay him down and walk out. Go in every ten minutes or so, if he's screaming, and whisper...night night time (or whatever), and lay him back down. DO NOT pick him up, engage him in conversation, or get him out. He will fall asleep. If you want to give him a safe lovey of some sort, then go ahead. BUt you risk him throwing it out and then making that another issue.

A little white noise like a fan in his room AND a fan or something where the other kids sleep will help you from going insane.

Once he falls asleep, he should be out a good two hours. If he wakes up screaming before this, then do the same as above.

Once he sleeps on his own, his other behavior should drastically improve!

good luck, and if you need support while he's crying, come talk to us!
MamaBear 08:51 AM 02-08-2012
Ugh... those are the worst. I had ones like that before and unfortunately had to terminate the care because I couldn't function with that kind of child here.

I have a boy now that suddenly went thru this... He's 2.5 yrs old and he was good for the first 5 months here and THEN started crying all the time last month. I couldn't figure out what it was and then one morning I just put his nap mat out and as soon as he started to cry, I laid him down and he was just exhausted! His parents get him up at 4am in the morning, so it made sense. Now when he gets here and if he starts that cry where I could tell he's not going to stop, I put him on his mat and he goes straight to sleep for about an hour and wakes up SO much happier. I thought he was done with 2 naps a day, but waking up that early is hard on him I guess.

If he is screaming & crying when you try to put him to nap though - I guess that might not work for you. If it doesn't get better soon, I would terminate. Your sanity is worth more than dealing with that.
Childminder 09:40 AM 02-08-2012
I have his sister. She has cried since October 21st. We finally mad her a crying spot and if she chooses to cry she has to go there until she stops and it seems to help. She has some kind of anxiety disorder and just quivers if upset. Her mom does also so she comes by it naturally. We did start giving her stickers when she comes in the door, just this past week and tell her that we will take them away if she cries. Knock on wood, it's working!
Sunshine44 09:54 AM 02-08-2012
I suggest giving yourself a date...a month from now maybe? And if it isn't better by then, I would term. I know other may not agree, but I had one like that and they cried for over a year. I did not know then what I know now. I was miserable and so were my other kids. I will never again do that. never.
cheerfuldom 11:17 AM 02-08-2012
I like all the suggestions but there is only so much you can do. Some kids really should be at home with their parents.
Tags:crying - all day, provider - burnout risk
Reply Up