Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transportation
Unregistered 11:50 AM 09-14-2009
I will be taking care of 5 children, in addition to my own 4-year-old, and am wondering what everyone does in the event they need to transport the children. I'm thinking of buying booster seats for everyone for the Suburban, but that will be a bit spendy. Then again, switching car seats back and forth between the parents and my vehicle doesn't sound too ideal, either. What do you do? My 8-year-old will be going to and from school with a neighbor, but on the days when she works I will need to take him and pick him up.
kitkat 05:01 PM 09-14-2009
I've always provide my own car seats or booster seats when I transport the kids, but I also don't transport as many as you have. Personally, I would just buy the seats that you need and not worry about asking parents to leave theirs. I know it's a chunk of change, but you can claim it as an expense on your taxes.

I have the booster seats with the harness. That way if a kid is too small or not old enough for the seatbelt yet, I can use the harness, but it can also be used for a kid who needs the seatbelt. By having my own seats I can install them the night before we are going some where and don't have to do that with the kids around, which is safer. I'm not sure how old your kids are, but if they are using a seatbelt w/booster, I'd stick them in the back of your suburban and hopefully you won't have to crawl in to help. Kids who need help with a belt or need to be harnessed in a seat would be easier to get in/out if they are in the middle section.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you completely understand your state's child restraint laws and have everyone in the proper seat.
GretasLittleFriends 06:22 PM 09-14-2009
Just a thought/reminder, some states require daycare providers to go through a child passenger safety class in order to transport children their care. Also, and FYI, make sure you're insurance covers it. Heaven forbid you were in an accident and then find out the insurance co won't cover it because it was "commercial use".

For me, I've got 2 boosters (one is my son's), 1 seat with a harness and an infant seat. It's very rare that we go places with all the kids here. As a matter of fact, I currently don't have a vehicle that will seat all of the kids plus me. If for some reason I need to go somewhere where I've only got 3 kids in boosters I will ask a parent to leave their booster explaining why and where we are going.
tymaboy 06:00 AM 09-15-2009
I buy my own car seats (convertable ones that will grow with the child) I do not go out with the child unless it is something important. Be sure to have each parent sign a consent form for each child in your care.
Unregistered 06:08 AM 09-15-2009
I agree with all of the above. Especially about checking with your insurance. Ours does not cover and I had to get a separate policy for this.

Make sure you have, as the PP said, a permission to transport on file for each child.
AmandasFCC 06:32 AM 09-15-2009
Personally, I wouldn't transport the kids. A friend of mine does this with her daycare and she's constantly on the road - once you open the door to it, it becomes a nightmare, even if your initial intention is just to do a school run, it because picking up so-and-so from here and there and everywhere simply because you can. She's constantly getting the kids out of bed at naptime to go pick someone up, and it's just ridiculous.

If you HAVE to do it, I'd say just take the seats from the parents. That way it keeps it from becoming a habit on the parents' part because it's a nightmare to have to deal with the seats constantly.
Unregistered 06:44 AM 09-15-2009
I have my own carseats that i bought from a provider who was closing, I checked to make sure they were regulation and keep the spare ones im not currently using in my daycare room. I transport to do MY errands, I DO NOT transport to pick up or drop off daycare children.
momof3 08:08 AM 09-15-2009
I say, get your own seats. You never know when one of your own children may have an emergency at school where you will need to get them right away and you don't want to transport the children unsafely. I also have a suburban and I have my own 6 car seats. I have 2 convertible seats (5-40 pounds), 2 highback boosters, and two regular boosters. I had 2 more, but gave them away to a friend who does daycare. I had all these seats, because before I stayed at home, I have my own 3 children, and I would never know if I would make my daycare's close time, so my husband and I each had 3 seats in each of our vehicles. You may find some at yardsales, or just ask friends. I don't take the kids out that often, but I have had (on occasion) to pick up one of my kids at school due to illness. Plus, the many trips back to school once they get home, because of forgotten homework. And even though I don't leave that often, I could if I wanted to.
Tags:transportation
Reply Up