Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Incorporating a Transportation Fee
CPKKChildcare 02:32 PM 06-23-2012
Hi Everyone,

I am currently changing some of my policies and I was thinking of incorporating a transportation fee. I was thinking about $12 a week or something..I don't know,any advice??

Thanks
Countrygal 06:09 PM 06-23-2012
One thing my car insurance warned me about was that I'd have to have a separate business policy if I charged for transportation. If I don't, I can transport under my regular policy up to a certain amount of children.
snbauser 06:33 PM 06-23-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
One thing my car insurance warned me about was that I'd have to have a separate business policy if I charged for transportation. If I don't, I can transport under my regular policy up to a certain amount of children.
This. I was told that if you charge for transporation then you have to have a commercial insurance policy and they are very costly.
BumbleBee 06:38 PM 06-23-2012
My first thought was to build the $12 a week into the weekly tuition. After thinking about it more, a $12 a week rate raise might make for some very unhappy parents. Have you been transporting children regularly? If you have, parents might be upset about having to pay a transportation fee now, when before it was included. Are there only certain children who need to be transported? (school agers before and after school?) If that's the case, and if you have someone who can stay with the children who do not need to be transported, then maybe just charge the families that need transportation.

Like the 2 PP's said, you may have to additional/different insurance for transporting child care children. My car insurance company told me I cannot transport ANY children from child care during business hours without additional insurance. If I chose to ignore their advice and transport children, nothing would be covered in an accident because the vehicle was being used during business hours for transporting child care children.

Not sure if any of that helps, but that's my 2 cents
familyschoolcare 08:57 PM 06-23-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
This. I was told that if you charge for transporation then you have to have a commercial insurance policy and they are very costly.
Same here. Was also told if I advertise on the car I ned commercial insurance or even just have the name of the daycare on the car.
CPKKChildcare 12:19 AM 06-24-2012
Wow!! I didn't even know about commercial insurance and things of that nature.. I just not going to include the fee...

Thank you ladies so much!!!!
Tags:transportation - charges, transportation fees
Reply Up