Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unlicensed Kid Ratio
Unregistered 02:52 PM 03-17-2011
I'm a registered user, signed out to keep myself safe.

For those of you unlicensed, I know we must keep below the licensed ratio for Qty of kids in the home. However, are we held by the adult to child ration on age limits? Such as X# of kids under 2?
DCMomOf3 06:01 PM 03-17-2011
not that I am aware. As long as you don't exceed the number of children / number of families, I don't think the childs' ages matter.
momatheart 06:15 PM 03-17-2011
I believe you can google child ratio daycare laws for the state of ***x.

I know my state is one family that is not related to you is all we can watch.
SandeeAR 05:41 AM 03-18-2011
*********************xx
SilverSabre25 05:54 AM 03-18-2011
It depends on your state. Here, without a license we can watch up to 6 kids, including our own, and no more than 3 of those kids may be under the age of 2. With a license we'd be able to watch up to 12 kids, no more than 4 under 2, and we'd need an assistant.
Little People 05:55 AM 03-18-2011
What I did was call the licensing office. I was told that I could keep 4 and 4 related children. Then yesterday I decided to call back again and was told I could take 4 families and 4 related children. This was the supervisior I was speaking to on my second call.

He was my question to her: If family #1 has 2 children, family #2 has 3 children, family #3 has 5 children and family #4 has 3 children.....that would be a total of 13 children!! She said yes I could take those 4 FAMILIES.

I also ask her if there was guidelines for how many I could take under 2 and she said NO

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with this lady and I think she was getting irritated with all my questions and my asking her 2 and 3 times on the same questions.

Then I went on to ask her why would i want to become a licensed if a unlicensed provider could take more families. She said "because unlicensed providers do not have to follow rules
Zoe 07:31 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
What I did was call the licensing office. I was told that I could keep 4 and 4 related children. Then yesterday I decided to call back again and was told I could take 4 families and 4 related children. This was the supervisior I was speaking to on my second call.

He was my question to her: If family #1 has 2 children, family #2 has 3 children, family #3 has 5 children and family #4 has 3 children.....that would be a total of 13 children!! She said yes I could take those 4 FAMILIES.

I also ask her if there was guidelines for how many I could take under 2 and she said NO

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with this lady and I think she was getting irritated with all my questions and my asking her 2 and 3 times on the same questions.

Then I went on to ask her why would i want to become a licensed if a unlicensed provider could take more families. She said "because unlicensed providers do not have to follow rules
That's scary!
Little People 09:10 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
That's scary!
I sometimes think the people that work at our licensing office don't know what there saying. But I did speak to the supervisor. But I would NEVER take that many children. I am happy with my 4 and 1 after school.
blueclouds29 09:35 AM 03-18-2011
Same here! I am unlicensed and only have 3 kids under 2 yrs old. I'm happy with that! Maybe when the kids get older like next year i'll take 1 or 2 older kids, but right now i'm happy with 3 kids.
momofsix 09:39 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm a registered user, signed out to keep myself safe.

For those of you unlicensed, I know we must keep below the licensed ratio for Qty of kids in the home. However, are we held by the adult to child ration on age limits? Such as X# of kids under 2?
In MI you can not have any unrelated kids of you're not licensed.
Tags:ratios, unlicensed
Reply Up