Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Care Courses School?
daycarediva 10:23 AM 01-03-2013
http://www.carecourses.com/PublicPages/Home.aspx

has anyone used them before?

I have exhausted all of the classes through my local office, some I have taken 2-3x each, just to meet hours & because they were offered on a weekend or evening. To be quite honest, some are so dumbed down it's almost painful to sit through them.
itlw8 11:37 AM 01-03-2013
I took them to renew my CDA I learned alot. It said my state takes them as clock hours. I hope so.

It was not cheap but lots of information. I did the one where you get a book.
newtodaycare22 11:39 AM 01-03-2013
I've used them and do the pdf online-easy!
itlw8 11:40 AM 01-03-2013
I took the test online with the book next to me to review if needed.
nanglgrl 11:47 AM 01-03-2013
I use them to get most of my hours every year. I feel the same way about the state offered classes! Care Courses are easy if you are a do it yourself kind of person but they are also very informative and interesting.
lovemykidstoo 12:00 PM 01-03-2013
I have used them quite a bit but not in the past year. I did like them alot though. I only stopped using them because our county has been offering more around here lately and it's less expensive. They do cost more than the typical class, but very informative.
MarinaVanessa 12:08 PM 01-03-2013
I used them just to take additional courses. Not because I need to or because I'm required to. I know that their courses are approved for CDA credit (which I am not actively in the process of trying to get right now, but have considered it for the future) but are not approved for my states stipend project (courses must be letter grades, not pass/fail).

Overall I've completed 3 courses and although it's not "cheap" it's definitely less expensive than most other alternatives. I like that you go at your own pace. You can order as many courses as you want and can take as long as you need to complete them. If your state requires you to take trainings etc. the majority of them accept care courses. I suggest contacting your licensing department just to make sure however.

I took "The Art of Child Care", "Caring for Children in your Home" and "Learning Centers" and chose the book format which I have highlighted and written notes on and have used them again and again for reference.
Childminder 12:27 PM 01-03-2013
Yes I have. Expensive.
allieannarbor 01:12 PM 01-03-2013
Yes, it takes so much less time and you have a reference book to use later. Used it to get my CDA and use it for my hours each year, I have two fulltime teachers working for me and one uses them as well.

Love it. But there is a price difference! It's a time versus money scenario, I like that it takes up less time.
lovemykidstoo 01:21 PM 01-03-2013
do you have to use the manual or can you just do the online download?
Springdaze 01:31 PM 01-03-2013
I just started a course today. It is 20 credit hours which is what I need for 3 years. It was 52 dollars. my ccrr offers 2 hour classes for 15 dollars each but most are nights I cant take them. It is less for me to do it with carecourses. we have free infant/toddler courses but they are on nights I cant go as well. 2 weeks out of the month I am on my own with the chitlins and of course that is when the classes are!
bunnyslippers 04:37 PM 01-03-2013
I did them last year to renew my license. Did all my hours (I think it was like 20+ hours) in about 4 hours total. Very easy, but a bit expensive. I did it for the convenience and the at-home piece. I seriously HATE any courses with the other dc providers in my area. It makes me embarrased to be a provider! Sooo, I worked on it at home.
daycarediva 03:21 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I did them last year to renew my license. Did all my hours (I think it was like 20+ hours) in about 4 hours total. Very easy, but a bit expensive. I did it for the convenience and the at-home piece. I seriously HATE any courses with the other dc providers in my area. It makes me embarrased to be a provider! Sooo, I worked on it at home.
I totally agree!

For me, it's less expensive than local CCRR classes, thanks for the reviews everyone! I will be signing up
Willow 06:38 AM 01-04-2013
I seriously HATE any courses with the other dc providers in my area. It makes me embarrased to be a provider!

You don't know how relieved I am to hear someone else say that lol

I've never heard of these online classes before, and it says they are accepted by my county. When I looked and figured in gas, time and in class costs it's pretty much the same. I am so in for doing a BUNCH of these.

Thanks you for sharing the link OP!
DaisyMamma 07:33 AM 01-04-2013
I did two courses with them. They were extremely easy.
nanglgrl 07:46 AM 01-04-2013
Our state just started charging a small fee for classes (between $5-$10) so when I figure everything in especially the fact that it would take me 12 hours to get 12 credits in a classroom setting but maybe 4 or 5 if I did them online it is worth it. One thing, everyone is saying online is easier and I wouldn't say it's easier but it is easy. Our state classes aren't "hard" by any means and actually when I really think about it the online classes are harder for the fact that I actually have to read and watch videos, etc. In the state classes I can sit and stare blankly for 12 hours and get my credits where as with online I have to pay attention and complete tests.
I hate taking the state offered classes. I feel we do have a lot of great providers in the area but we also have variety and I don't mean that in a good way. In one class I took a provider was talking to herself the entire class!
Willow 07:52 AM 01-04-2013
Save for the annual food program training where you have to remember a lot of bitty details that often times change.....I have never taken any sort of training I'd consider anything *but* easy.

They're all pretty ridiculous imho, which is exactly why I tend to struggle in the classroom with other providers who look like the very basic common sense information being taught is like manna from heaven. Seeing the lightbulbs go off is usually more stimulating than the content, and then I sit and wonder who on earth would leave their child in the care of someone who didn't know you should wash your hands after every diaper change
bunnyslippers 08:10 AM 01-04-2013
I have to be honest. I think everything that has to do with licensing is a big money making deal. Aside from all of their mandated courses (that cost money), their licensing renewals (more money), cpr/first aid (more money), space requirements, equipment requirements, and prefessional development (more money) ~ I get nothing from being licensed. I have seen my licensor twice in five years. Only time was when it was for initial or renewal (more money in the state's pocket).

I have changed nothing in the way I do things since being licensed or unlicensed. Except that now I have to waste money on a bunch of requirements that are STUPID and a waste of time (and money).

Totally just hijacked this thread - sorry!!!!!!! just a rant.
daycarediva 08:21 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Save for the annual food program training where you have to remember a lot of bitty details that often times change.....I have never taken any sort of training I'd consider anything *but* easy.

They're all pretty ridiculous imho, which is exactly why I tend to struggle in the classroom with other providers who look like the very basic common sense information being taught is like manna from heaven. Seeing the lightbulbs go off is usually more stimulating than the content, and then I sit and wonder who on earth would leave their child in the care of someone who didn't know you should wash your hands after every diaper change
I know the look all TOO well!
lovemykidstoo 08:21 AM 01-04-2013
You don't know how relieved I am to hear someone else say that lol

I've never heard of these online classes before, and it says they are accepted by my county. When I looked and figured in gas, time and in class costs it's pretty much the same. I am so in for doing a BUNCH of these.

Thanks you for sharing the link OP!
Me too LOL! I have always hated taking the classes. First of all, I would say that most of the people that go to them don't in any way look professional at all. Then I really don't like the little games the instructors do to basically introduce everyone to each other. I don't know about anyone else, but by the end of the day, I want to get to the subject of the class and learn something. I couldn't care less how long Susie next to me has been doing daycare. The last class I went to was a 2 hour class. They had these little colored rocks in a bowl on the table and while everyone was getting there we were told to take as many as we wanted and to make a design with them on the table. Okay, first of all strange. Then after that, the instructor went around the room and for every rock you used you had to tell something about yourself. That took 1/2 hour out of a 2 hour class for that. I was ticked. What a waste of time.
Unregistered 08:27 AM 01-04-2013
providers who look like the very basic common sense information being taught is like manna from heaven. Seeing the lightbulbs go off is usually more stimulating than the content, and then I sit and wonder who on earth would leave their child in the care of someone who didn't know you should wash your hands after every diaper change
i agree!!!!! i just cant fake enthusiam like that! i love that comparison! it is nice to be able to sit and get the hours, but i would like to get ideas for interesting activities.
Willow 08:44 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Me too LOL! I have always hated taking the classes. First of all, I would say that most of the people that go to them don't in any way look professional at all. Then I really don't like the little games the instructors do to basically introduce everyone to each other. I don't know about anyone else, but by the end of the day, I want to get to the subject of the class and learn something. I couldn't care less how long Susie next to me has been doing daycare. The last class I went to was a 2 hour class. They had these little colored rocks in a bowl on the table and while everyone was getting there we were told to take as many as we wanted and to make a design with them on the table. Okay, first of all strange. Then after that, the instructor went around the room and for every rock you used you had to tell something about yourself. That took 1/2 hour out of a 2 hour class for that. I was ticked. What a waste of time.
I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten up and left.

If I'd have stayed I'd have left some serious feedback for whoever authorized the class

As far as appearance I usually don't give a rip what people wear but I drew a new line at my last training when a woman showed up in nude colored thin skin tight leggings.....it looked like she wasn't wearing any pants! They may have even just been a pair of tights??! She had on a deep v neck tank top to boot and her girls were all kinds of hanging out.......why anyone would dress like that ever, much less to a training class where you're bound to network with other providers, is beyond me.
lovemykidstoo 08:48 AM 01-04-2013
I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten up and left.

If I'd have stayed I'd have left some serious feedback for whoever authorized the class

As far as appearance I usually don't give a rip what people wear but I drew a new line at my last training when a woman showed up in nude colored thin skin tight leggings.....it looked like she wasn't wearing any pants! They may have even just been a pair of tights??! She had on a deep v neck tank top to boot and her girls were all kinds of hanging out.......why anyone would dress like that ever, much less to a training class where you're bound to network with other providers, is beyond me.
Trust me if I didn't need the 2 hours and if I wouldn't have already paid for the class I would have left. I most definately did write some nice feedback. Bet that met the trashcan!

That's quite the outfit Willow. Oh Lord have mercy!! I'm not really even talking about clothes. Not everyone has the money to buy the latest fashions, but I expect them to be clean and their hair combed. I expect them to sit up and act professional and not slouch in the chair and smack their lunch/dinner/snack during a 2 hour class. Seriously eat a snack in the car on the way over if you can't wait to eat. Then the constant talking while the instructor is talking. So unprofessional
nanglgrl 08:58 AM 01-04-2013

We should wash our hands after every diaper change?
lovemykidstoo 09:06 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
We should wash our hands after every diaper change?
bwahaha!!!!
nanglgrl 09:13 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by :
That's quite the outfit Willow. Oh Lord have mercy!! I'm not really even talking about clothes. Not everyone has the money to buy the latest fashions, but I expect them to be clean and their hair combed. I expect them to sit up and act professional and not slouch in the chair and smack their lunch/dinner/snack during a 2 hour class. Seriously eat a snack in the car on the way over if you can't wait to eat. Then the constant talking while the instructor is talking. So unprofessional
Our county used to provide food during our trainings. It was so nice! Now most bring food with them being that the classes are usually 6:30-8:30. I don't have time to eat and I would be starving if I had to wait until after.
I will admit I am one that talks during class. Usually me and one of my other provider friends plan on taking the class together so we won't die of boredom. We don't talk all of the time. Usually it's a note to each other or a look and when we talk it's usually when that one provider (you know the one) is asking another silly question. It is unprofessional though, that is why I try to stick to online classes.
I sit there and wonder how people can drop their children off with some of the providers because of their appearance but usually more so because of their lack of common sense or even a basic understanding of child development.
lovemykidstoo 09:19 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Our county used to provide food during our trainings. It was so nice! Now most bring food with them being that the classes are usually 6:30-8:30. I don't have time to eat and I would be starving if I had to wait until after.
I will admit I am one that talks during class. Usually me and one of my other provider friends plan on taking the class together so we won't die of boredom. We don't talk all of the time. Usually it's a note to each other or a look and when we talk it's usually when that one provider (you know the one) is asking another silly question. It is unprofessional though, that is why I try to stick to online classes.
I sit there and wonder how people can drop their children off with some of the providers because of their appearance but usually more so because of their lack of common sense or even a basic understanding of child development.
Don't make me send you to time out for talking LOL!!! I should rephrase the eating part. I don't mind if people eat, but they don't need to make a huge production of it. You would be surprised the way I've seen people come in and serioulsy have a 3 course meal. The smacking is what really gets me. Close your mouth!! I guess I did mention that above. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I have talked a tiny bit in classes before, but by that I mean 2 or 3 words, not a whole conversation. I have 40% hearing loss in my right ear so if someone is talking by me, it's really hard for me to hear the instructor.
bunnyslippers 09:44 AM 01-04-2013
I am admittedly, a bit of a snob. I have to say that after my first group orientation, I was horrified. I have never heard so many questions regarding ferrets, kool-aid & velveeta, and trampoline safety in my life! And the outfits -whoa. I didn't even know you could still by spandex pants with holes down the side or jeans with suede laces up teh legs. And the grammar usage...atrocious. I left my first training feeling like I had just signed up to be a carnie. Seriously, it was that bad.

Again, I recognize my snobbish attitude, and I actually embrace it. I love all kinds of people...but the people in these courses are not the kind I would EVER associate with on any level.

Sooo, yeah. Care Courses it is.
daycarediva 09:52 AM 01-04-2013
I am admittedly, a bit of a snob. I have to say that after my first group orientation, I was horrified. I have never heard so many questions regarding ferrets, kool-aid & velveeta, and trampoline safety in my life! And the outfits -whoa. I didn't even know you could still by spandex pants with holes down the side or jeans with suede laces up teh legs. And the grammar usage...atrocious. I left my first training feeling like I had just signed up to be a carnie. Seriously, it was that bad.

Again, I recognize my snobbish attitude, and I actually embrace it. I love all kinds of people...but the people in these courses are not the kind I would EVER associate with on any level.

^ could have typed that.
nanglgrl 09:58 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Don't make me send you to time out for talking LOL!!! I should rephrase the eating part. I don't mind if people eat, but they don't need to make a huge production of it. You would be surprised the way I've seen people come in and serioulsy have a 3 course meal. The smacking is what really gets me. Close your mouth!! I guess I did mention that above. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I have talked a tiny bit in classes before, but by that I mean 2 or 3 words, not a whole conversation. I have 40% hearing loss in my right ear so if someone is talking by me, it's really hard for me to hear the instructor.
I do need a time out! LOL! I usually only talk when there is a break in conversation, when the instructor asks us to do some tedious task as a group or when someone asks a ridiculous question. It's still rude and I promise I will try to be good. I promise!
I know what you mean about the eating loud. I'm often the person that grabs something quick like a bag of pretzels and a water bottle and then I'm too nervous to eat because the pretzel bag seems obnoxiously loud and every time I take a drink of water the bottle crunches! When I do happen to get a few pretzels out of the bag without making any noise I think everyone can hear me chewing even though my mouth is closed. I can't win.
Country Kids 10:12 AM 01-04-2013
I hate to say it but I do enjoy most of the classes we are offered. Our local CR&R is very involved and it there aren't any good classes here they offer pretty awesome ones about an hour away.

Also, I can't do tests so I would be so worried about doing online classes. My test phobia is so bad that I panic during the entire time I'm doing my Food Handlers class. CPR classes put me in a panic/sweat because I'm so afraid I will be asked something and won't be able to answer it.

So I will take the CR&R because I do like them and there are no tests!!!
Willow 10:15 AM 01-04-2013

Nailed it!
nanglgrl 10:17 AM 01-04-2013

I'm in Iowa spandex pants with holes and jeans with suede laces are all the rage. We carry ferrets in our fanny packs and never make a meal that doesn't include Velveeta or Kool-Aid. But trampolines? Geesh everyone knows those are so 2001. We might as well let the kids jump of the roof of the house into wading pools. LOL.
Of course I'm joking. I'm feeling like a goofball today. I agree for the most part. I have made a few friends in the classes but I agree that there are a lot of providers that leave me perplexed. I just don't know how they get business. How can parents leave their children with someone who knows or cares so little. Some people come across as down right crazy and then some of them just look scary!
Our state has just started listing our trainings Beginning, Intermediate or Advanced so I'm hoping this might help things. I would love to do all of my trainings online but I have to do 16 a year and 4 or 6 (can't remember which) have to be in a group setting...so I guess Carnie training here I come!
bunnyslippers 10:20 AM 01-04-2013
The Care Courses are a take home booklet, and you complete the test on your own time, with the book. No stress!
Tags:courses
Reply Up