Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Courses and Certificates, Who Pays for Them?
Unregistered 12:44 PM 09-21-2016
I just started working as a daycare provider, and I'm required to take several courses, both online and in person (shaken baby syndrome, inclusion of special needs kids and in classroom, etc). My question is, are those courses paid by me or my director? I have already paid for 2 $35 certificates, 2 $40 ones, one $35, and I'll be paying for my tb test ($50) and my cpr/first aid course which is also required and is also another $50. I'm looking at almost $150 to start, out of my pocket. And she also mentioned a food course and transportation course which are $15 each. Is this normal, should any of the coursed be paid by her, or at least get a partial reimbursement? Also these certificates need to be renewed, some yearly, and some every 2 years.. Is too much money! 😔
Leigh 12:50 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just started working as a daycare provider, and I'm required to take several courses, both online and in person (shaken baby syndrome, inclusion of special needs kids and in classroom, etc). My question is, are those courses paid by me or my director? I have already paid for 2 $35 certificates, 2 $40 ones, one $35, and I'll be paying for my tb test ($50) and my cpr/first aid course which is also required and is also another $50. I'm looking at almost $150 to start, out of my pocket. And she also mentioned a food course and transportation course which are $15 each. Is this normal, should any of the coursed be paid by her, or at least get a partial reimbursement? Also these certificates need to be renewed, some yearly, and some every 2 years.. Is too much money! 😔
I wouldn't consider it normal, personally. I have NEVER worked for ANYONE who made me pay for my own trainings-even optional trainings that I requested were paid for by my employers. I'd expect the owner to pay for those costs.
AmyKidsCo 01:07 PM 09-21-2016
Around here it's up to the individual to obtain whatever entry-level education/training is required for the job they're applying for, then the center provides continuing education. IMO if the center is requiring training different from what other centers require they should pay for it, but if it's something you'd need to work in any center it's up to you.
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 09-21-2016
I agree with PP's. YOU are the one benefiting from the training so I would assume you should pay for it too.
Controlled Chaos 02:52 PM 09-21-2016
Having the center pay for trainings would have been something to negotiate during hiring. BUT you can write it off - keep your receipts!
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Having the center pay for trainings would have been something to negotiate during hiring. BUT you can write it off - keep your receipts!
I don't know... she might want to check with her tax preparer...

"To deduct training costs, employees itemize their deductions on Schedule A. Self-employed workers file Schedule C, Schedule C-EZ or Schedule F. To qualify for job-related education expenses, an employee must determine whether the training is required to keep his job or improves his skills. The training cannot be deducted if it’s required to meet the minimum requirements for a job or leads to a new role."
Controlled Chaos 03:17 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't know... she might want to check with her tax preparer...

"To deduct training costs, employees itemize their deductions on Schedule A. Self-employed workers file Schedule C, Schedule C-EZ or Schedule F. To qualify for job-related education expenses, an employee must determine whether the training is required to keep his job or improves his skills. The training cannot be deducted if it’s required to meet the minimum requirements for a job or leads to a new role."
Interesting, I figured it was like you can write off work close for the uniform and things like that... but I'm no accountant
jenboo 04:26 PM 09-21-2016
I've paid up to 1k in trainings before.
I've always been required to pay for my own trainings
racemom 04:32 PM 09-21-2016
My center pays for all our training. Plus our hourly wage for the time we are at the training.
Febby 05:57 PM 09-21-2016
My current center pays for all my training plus hourly wage while I attend/complete those training sessions.

Most centers in my area do not pay hourly wage during training sessions. Some do not even pay for the training.

It all depends on where you work and what benefits come with it. Sucks when you have to pay for it though.
AmyKidsCo 07:18 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
My center pays for all our training. Plus our hourly wage for the time we are at the training.
Centers here pay for continuing education trainings, but not for the basic training needed to get the job.

It's interesting how things are different all over.
Play Care 03:07 AM 09-22-2016
I've never worked anywhere that I've had to pay for my own trainings. I feel that's one of the benefits of working for someone.
Cat Herder 06:15 AM 09-22-2016
Check your local CCR&R. Most have grant and scholarship programs.

Be sure to check them out BEFORE taking the classes as many won't pay out if you don't/can't use their preferred provider. You don't want to be left holding the bag. BTDT

Also, some online programs have great deals if you do the work. A program I use has unlimited classes for $99 a year. I take full advantage of it as this years "optional" has a funny way of becoming next years "mandatory".
Baby Beluga 08:06 AM 09-22-2016
When working in a center, we were always required to pay for our own training courses. The center director would usually arrange for the class to take place at our center after hours or on a Saturday - but each employee had to pay for their portion.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:51 AM 09-22-2016
It is crazy how it varies state to state and business to business. We have to pay for our CPR/First Aid certification, because it is required to apply, but it is super cheap and offered through the community health centers (sometimes for free). Otherwise, the center pays for and arranges additional training and pays for your time (this was my experience a few years ago...may have changed). They were very in need of childcare workers, so they reduced any hurdles to be a part of the profession. On a side note, I work as a server a few nights a week for a major restaurant chain and we have to take a sanitation/restaurant safety test through our local health clinic, but they pay for it and for our time to take the test, as well. I wonder if there is an actual legal requirement of businesses to provide that training at their expense or if it just varies as a benefit of hiring?
Baby Beluga 01:01 PM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
It is crazy how it varies state to state and business to business. We have to pay for our CPR/First Aid certification, because it is required to apply, but it is super cheap and offered through the community health centers (sometimes for free). Otherwise, the center pays for and arranges additional training and pays for your time (this was my experience a few years ago...may have changed). They were very in need of childcare workers, so they reduced any hurdles to be a part of the profession. On a side note, I work as a server a few nights a week for a major restaurant chain and we have to take a sanitation/restaurant safety test through our local health clinic, but they pay for it and for our time to take the test, as well. I wonder if there is an actual legal requirement of businesses to provide that training at their expense or if it just varies as a benefit of hiring?
I think a large part of that depends on the type of business and whether it is a franchise or a large cooperation.

I used to lease apartments for a nationwide property management company. They paid for all trainings, compensation while attending those trainings and we had a yearly uniform stipend. We had health insurance, 401k options and were given commission on top of a regular salary. (Come to think of it...why did I leave this job? )

I worked in a center, which was a franchise but was also part of a cooperation. We had to pay for all trainings ourselves, we were not compensated for attending the trainings and we had to buy our own uniforms, which had to come from the center approved catalog - and were CRAZY expensive. We had ZERO health insurance, no 401k. Pay was better then the majority of the centers though.

When I look up childcare job postings in my state many say you need to have "or be willing to obtain" a fingerprint clearance card, CPR, First Aid and Food Handlers certifications, and a TB test. Some even say to not apply if you do not already have these certs.

It is interesting to look at and certainly makes you wonder why the benefits (salary, retirement options, health ins, etc) of working in childcare are so little.
Tags:courses, online courses
Reply Up