Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need HELP and ADVICE!!
Lucy 09:28 PM 08-18-2012
Hope this doesn't get too long, but here goes. A little backstory first. Three years ago, our school district implemented a "walking boundary". Our state recommended that elementary kids could walk 1 mile, and it went up from there as far as Middle and High Schoolers. Our local district decided that 1/2 mile was what they would go by. Well, at first they wanted to deny the bus that had stopped right in front of my house for 15 years, but a couple of the parents and I took one of those wheel measuring devices, and walked the route, and it was EXACTLY 1/2 mile. We fought the district and won. For the last 3 years, we've continued to have our bus.

School here starts Sept 10th this year, by the way.

Ok, (bored yet?) this year we got a new Superintendant, and he decided to go by the State's guideline of 1 mile. So sadly, we're inside the "walking boundary". The parents were very bummed. I have 3 school-agers, a 2nd grader, 3rd grader, and 4th grader. So they are 7, 8 and JUST turned 9 this week. The parents of the 3rd and 4th graders have come to terms with it, and have just accepted that this is the way it has to be. We have done "rehearsals", and the kids know exactly the route, when to be on which side of the street, where to wait for each other after school, etc. etc. However, the 2nd grader mentioned to me (don't you love when they spill the beans on their parents?? lol) that her mom does NOT want her walking, and wants to ask me if I will drive them. She said that her mom doesn't trust the 3rd & 4th graders (there is no reason she shouldn't... they are both very trust-worthy and level-headed kids).

As far as the route, they will exit my house and cross a residential street with no crosswalk, then they will cross a sorta busy, but still residential street WITH a crosswalk, then travel on a sidewalk along the whole side of the school, turn the corner, and go half a block to the front door. The 4th grader will then go another half block to the back door of the school next door. (Weird situation - the elementary schools are next door to each other - but facing different streets - because they were originally a K-3, and a 4-6, but were switched to K-6 probably 20 years ago. The 4th grader's family lives in the boundary for the other school.)

I'm getting to the point, trust me! So when I told my husband what the 2nd grader's mom said, he got very concerned. He thinks if something happens to the kids between my house and the school, that this mom will go nuts and hold me responsible. He freaked on me over it (which he normally never says a word about my DC, but he sure let me have it on this topic. We actually had a little tiff over it and I assured him I would do what needs to be done, but this is still new information for me and I haven't worked it out yet.) He says she could sue us, or try to bring charges against me, or at the very least make complaints to my licensor and I could lose my DC.

So... finally... what are your thoughts on my responsibilities here? If one of the kids gets hit by a car, or kidnapped, or just falls and breaks an arm, or if the kids goof off and cause damage to someone's property along the route, or if they just goof off and are repeatedly late for school, things like that.... could I be held liable for anything? Hubby says they're in my care until they get to the school grounds. He wants me to talk to a lawyer. My take on the whole thing is that it should be understood that when they leave MY house, I'm not responsible for them anymore. If I have done everything in good faith to prepare them for this walk, then that's all I can do.

So sorry this turned out to be so long. I really need everyone's input. I know many of you probably have DC kids that walk to school unsupervised. Ever had problems or parent complaints? HELP!!! And thanks. Oh, and I can't term the 2nd grader, as I watch her sister full-time, and we really need their income. It's very hard to get clients because my town is small and saturated with Providers.
Country Kids 09:43 PM 08-18-2012
I would call your licensor first thing Monday and tell them your concern. I personally haven't heard of this law in our state (same one). If your licensor says that you are allowed to do this, I would have the parent sign a form releasing you of responsibility once they leave your property and are on their way to school.

I can bet there will be a ton of uproar from parents over this and I bet the superintendent will be pressured back into having kids ride the bus. I do though remember walking out of city limits back when I was in school (2 blocks) to catch a bus so I wouldn't have to walk the 2-3 miles it was to school. We had no buses in town it seemed like.
Lucy 09:48 PM 08-18-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I personally haven't heard of this law in our state (same one).
It was a guideline 3 years ago, not a law.

Good advice on calling licensing. My husband brought up having the parents sign a release, or waiver, or whatever. My thoughts on that is that it would pretty much be meaningless. You can have someone sign anything you want, but that doesn't mean it would be upheld if they wanted to sue. God forbid one of the kids is kidnapped and killed (I hate even thinking about that or typing it out!) and the parent blames me, their signature on a paper won't mean much. I could be totally wrong, but that's how I see it. Yes, it won't hurt to have them go ahead and sign something, you are right. And I probably should do it, but I just think it would be sort of going through the motions. Just the way I see it. Thanks.
Angelsj 09:50 PM 08-18-2012
It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer, but here we have the parents sign a form saying (in general) what you just said. They have parental permission to walk such and such route and what happens between school and daycare is not your responsibility.

Personally, it isn't really your job to show them the route at all, or practice it with them. That is the parents job. If you don't want to transport and the mother is unhappy with the walking, it is her responsibility to transport. Of course, that may end in her finding other care, so you will have to work that out, I suppose.
Lucy 09:56 PM 08-18-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer, but here we have the parents sign a form saying (in general) what you just said. They have parental permission to walk such and such route and what happens between school and daycare is not your responsibility.

Personally, it isn't really your job to show them the route at all, or practice it with them. That is the parents job. If you don't want to transport and the mother is unhappy with the walking, it is her responsibility to transport. Of course, that may end in her finding other care, so you will have to work that out, I suppose.
Could you possibly post the form, or PM me and I will PM back my email address? I'd love to see the wording. I'll probably end up with a form it looks like.

As far as walking the route to practice it, I've had the 3rd and 4th graders since birth, and they feel like family. I WANT to have them be confident in their route before school starts in 3 weeks. So far, we've done the practices at various times of the day. Starting next week, we'll do it at the time of the morning that they will be leaving once school starts. I will gradually walk further and further behind them just to make sure they are 100% on their own. Also, it's good PR if I show that I am pro-actively helping in the planning stages for this new adventure. The parents really appreciate it.
Country Kids 10:08 PM 08-18-2012
I'm actually thinking of having my parents (after 17 years) sign a release that once the kids leave my property and go to the bus stop, I'm not responsible for them.

It's directly across the street from my house and I don't want to have to bundle kids up to stand in my drive way and there is no way I can just leave them in the school room so I can watch the bus stop.
Nickel 11:25 PM 08-18-2012
I am probably going to get flamed here, but this is my take as a parent. If i hired someone for before and after school care i would be entrusting them to ensure my child arrives at the school and gets picked up from the school. If i was told that my provider would not be transporting them or walking with them, i would find another provider. Thats jmho. I do not let my daughter work to or from the school without an adult and she is starting fifth grade this year. While i live in a safe neighborhood, accidents can happen. I walk to and from the school with her or i drive her the five blocks straight down the street. Literally i live on the same street athe school. If i accepted school agers i would also be sure to pick them up and drop them off and watch them walk into the building. Because i would feel that they are my responsibility.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me. I have all of my parents sign a transportation form and i tell them up front that i transport children to and from the school to pick up my daughter. If they dont like it, they can find someone else. Safety is my top priority and i want to ensure my child is safe. Again jmho
DaisyMamma 05:08 AM 08-19-2012
I agree with Nickel 100%.
As a parent I would never let my child walk. And I'm not an overprotective parent.
As a provider I don't like the sound of any of it. I would drive the 3 kids. I would not like it one bit, but I would do it.
The kids get off the bus right in front of my house and I go outside to greet them.
countrymom 05:16 AM 08-19-2012
in the city here, only the 3 and 4 yr olds get the bus, the rest walk and it can be 3miles, which is stupid. Have you seen how kids walk with snow clothes on, talk about slow. I'm lucky and live in the county so they have to bus my kids. Oh, I would fight and tell them that there is no cross walk, and don't they have to have crossing guards if its a busy road.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:18 AM 08-19-2012
So what are they walking 4/5 blocks? I would probably walk with them and walk to meet them for the first couple weeks of school and then so how they were doing. We use to walk a lot further than that (I am getting old).. when I was a kid. I guess a lot would depend on the neighborhood and the kidlets. Are there other families so they could walk as a fairly large group? Would some other moms split the walking days with you? So maybe you walk them to school and she walks them home?
DayCareDynasty 06:23 AM 08-19-2012
Hi Lucy! For my SA kids I hired a driver because it just wasn't feasible for me to load up the toddlers and baby and take them to school. I made sure the driver was some one I knew and trusted and they did get finger printed and have a background check on file before they started. Like Nickle, I too feel I am responsible for the children once left in my care.

When I worked outside of the house I enrolled my then 2nd grader & Kindergartener in day care. I repeated to the provider when I enrolled them, and the morning of care that my K grader goes in the evening...what happens, I get a call at work from the office staff who is telling me my child is sitting in the office at 8am. I was upset thinking he is only 5 my kid could have walked out of the office or anything. The provider very nonchalantly said, I am on my way to get him it was a mistake! So my point is I left my child in her care which in my eyes meant she was responsible for him until I returned.

If the kids are going to walk maybe the oldest child can have a cellphone to call when they have made it on the grounds either you or parent.
Unregistered 06:41 AM 08-19-2012
A little of the topic in a way but I was just reading an article about retired people (grandparents, stay at home parents , people with flexible schedules ,etc. ) helping out with their grandchildren who's parents can't get them to school and back because of work...it suggested (of course this all being if the grandparents or volunteer is close enough) that for the kids AND the adults to get more exercise, the adult could form a "walking school bus" where they walk the kids to school and back ...and "pick up" other kids on their route...

Of course, the adult would need all the proper checks, etc. to be entrusted with the kids but I thought it was kind of a neat idea to help out both sides. I know there would probably be some glitches but if there was a network of people who could do it, it might work...
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 08-19-2012

We have similar guidelines here. Our state regs say we must have written permission for a child to leave our home. So if a child came to care before school and needed to walk to school, the parent would have to sign a permission slip saying their child has permission to walk away from child care.

This also releases us from any liability since once a child leaves my care facility, they are no longer MY responsibility.

If a parent is concerned about their child walking to and from school, I think it is THEIR responsibility to figure out how to manage it.

As far as a certain form, there is none. It just says a parent must give written permission.

I don't take the SA'ers any more but when I did, ANY and ALL transportation to and from care for ANY reason was the parents responsibilty not mine.
Angelsj 07:21 AM 08-19-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Could you possibly post the form, or PM me and I will PM back my email address? I'd love to see the wording. I'll probably end up with a form it looks like.

As far as walking the route to practice it, I've had the 3rd and 4th graders since birth, and they feel like family. I WANT to have them be confident in their route before school starts in 3 weeks. So far, we've done the practices at various times of the day. Starting next week, we'll do it at the time of the morning that they will be leaving once school starts. I will gradually walk further and further behind them just to make sure they are 100% on their own. Also, it's good PR if I show that I am pro-actively helping in the planning stages for this new adventure. The parents really appreciate it.
I know, and I would probably do the same. I was just pointing out that you are already going above and beyond, and the mother just expecting you to accommodate her discomfort is ridiculous. She either needs to trust you, transport herself, or take the school up on their issue and get it changed.
So often these days, parents abdicate the parent role to the providers and school.
The form is a pdf and I can't figure out how to get it here, but it basically goes like this:

I (Parent name) give permission for my child (child name) to leave the residence of (your name) from the times of __________ to________
for the purpose of _________________________

Once the child leaves the residence, (provider name) will no longer be responsible for the child until the child returns to the residence.

Signature of parent and provider.

This form also has other things on it, like an emergency medical release, and insurance information type stuff, but in this case, I would just create one that says what makes you comfortable, and give it to the parents to sign. Anything else you do (like practicing with them) is totally above the call.

For the record, I would NEVER allow my 2nd grader to travel to school alone. But, *I* would be doing what was necessary to make that not happen, or having a clear chat with you to clarify everyone's feelings. Perhaps a talk with her, to let her know all you are doing, and how responsible the older two kids are, would help her feel better about it all? Or at least clear the air?
Country Kids 07:33 AM 08-19-2012
For Nickel and Daisy Mama would you have enough room in your cars to transport all your kids to get the SA to school. To say its the providers responsibility is a little harsh. It would only be hers if 1. She had a big enough car 2.She offered that as one of her services.

I think sometimes the parents have the outlook to look at all the things that it takes to put a child into childcare. Its not our responsibility to figure out how these kids are going to get to school, that is the parents. Just because we are home doesn't mean we aren't doing anything or watching any other kids.
jojosmommy 07:51 AM 08-19-2012
I live one somewhat long block from the school. I can not see the school from my house. I have never had one parent sign up to have their kid walk from my house to school. They always choose the houses that are 15 houses closer and can see the school from their door. I get it, but it is frustrating.

We do have the "walking school bus" in our district. It is even on the district webpage so you can easily look up the walking route nearest your home. Check it out and see if you or other locals who are facing this new rule could get something like that started.

Can you walk to the school with all your dck? I know some providers who do that. Not managable at my house but some providers make it work.

How much income would you lose from this family and others leaving? Could you hire a helper for 1 hour each am and pm who could stay with the littles while you walk? She could help out with preschool or something once you get back. Maybe a retired person or college person with open hours.

We also have a form for kids leaving our home to release liability while they are walking but I don't know how much legal weight it would really hold if something was to happen. Again, I have never had anyone actually walk from my house. This year my AM Kindy kid is having mom/dad pick her up on their lunch so that she can stay in my care. It was that or switch to a closer daycare to walk or further away one to be bussed.
MyAngels 08:05 AM 08-19-2012
I would talk to an attorney in this just to clarify what your liability in this situation would be, and to make sure that any form you have parents sign re liability would stand up if push ever came to shove. It would be well worth the peace of mind IMPO.

As far as the kids walking - it sounds like you live in a relatively small area and they won't be crossing any highways and the like - I'm sure they'll be safe. Will the district be providing a crossing guard for the busier street? That's what our district does and the kids here don't seem to have any problems getting to and from school.
sharlan 08:27 AM 08-19-2012
Personally, there is NO WAY that I would allow kids to walk from my home to school or back unsupervised. I refuse to take that risk.

If I couldn't drive/walk the kids to school, I wouldn't take them. I have 2 boys that go to the local school. We walk straight across the street, through a breezeway, and across the street to the school's back fence. There is no way that I would allow the boys to go by themselves.

What are your plans for inclement weather? You can't expect the kids to walk to school if it's too hot, too cold, too windy, raining, etc.
Nickel 08:55 AM 08-19-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
For Nickel and Daisy Mama would you have enough room in your cars to transport all your kids to get the SA to school. To say its the providers responsibility is a little harsh. It would only be hers if 1. She had a big enough car 2.She offered that as one of her services.

I think sometimes the parents have the outlook to look at all the things that it takes to put a child into childcare. Its not our responsibility to figure out how these kids are going to get to school, that is the parents. Just because we are home doesn't mean we aren't doing anything or watching any other kids.
I do have enough room in my vehicle, becuse i make it a priority. I dont take schoolagers but i tell all my parents up front that i drive to and from the school to pick up my child and they must sign a transportation form. If i provided sa care i would only take the number of children i coupd fit into my vehicle. And ive also had after school care and i interviewed a provider who let them wall and one that picked up. I chose the one thaat picked up. I personally feel that if you hire someone for before and after school care it is the providers responsibility to get them to and from school.

Many are saying the parent needa to figure out how to get them to and from school. But is that not why they hired a child care provider? If it was me personally, i would not feel comfortable and i would find a provider who did ensure my child was supervised to and from school.

I am also investing in a commercial quad stroller so i can walk to and from school when the weather is nice. My opinion may seem harsh but safety is my biggest concern. You read all the time about children hurting othrr chirldren, children getting accidentally hit by a car, and other horrific things. I couldnt let my child walk out the door knowing that if something did happen to her, i wouodnt know about if until she didnt come home eight hours later. Again, just my opinion.
Angelsj 09:17 AM 08-19-2012
I don't particularly disagree with you Nickel..but the point here is that one agreement was in place, and things have changed. The parent has the responsibility to handle things, whether that means providing transport, working things out with the current provider or getting a new one.

The big point here is that it is the PARENT'S responsibility to get it taken care of, not the provider's problem to fix ( especially on the sly, since the parent hasn't even spoken to them.)

I, personally, do not transport ANYONE, but we have worked out many situations for children to walk/get bussed/whatever. But it has always been a mutual, upfront deal. And if circumstances were to change, we would work it out again. I am lucky in that I have several older children who are all home schooled, so there can be some level of supervision however there needs to be.
Kaddidle Care 09:58 AM 08-19-2012
I don't particularly disagree with you Nickel..but the point here is that one agreement was in place, and things have changed. The parent has the responsibility to handle things, whether that means providing transport, working things out with the current provider or getting a new one.

The big point here is that it is the PARENT'S responsibility to get it taken care of, not the provider's problem to fix ( especially on the sly, since the parent hasn't even spoken to them.)

I, personally, do not transport ANYONE, but we have worked out many situations for children to walk/get bussed/whatever. But it has always been a mutual, upfront deal. And if circumstances were to change, we would work it out again. I am lucky in that I have several older children who are all home schooled, so there can be some level of supervision however there needs to be.
What she said! It all comes down to responsibility and I think this is why a lot of folks have dropped having SA kids.

There's no harm in being prepared for when/if the parent asks this of you.

We were threatened many times with having courtesy busing pulled every time the vote on the school budget came around. In our district it was 2 miles! While the older kids can manage, that's quite a bit for Kindy and 1st graders.

We are just inside the 2 mile range so I was prepared to drive my child to school as I could still get to work on time - or at least within 5 minutes. If a boss has issues with you being 5-10 minutes late so that you can get your child safely to school then heck with them. No job is more important than my child.

Thankfully the bus still comes here.
youretooloud 10:09 AM 08-19-2012
I don't think 1/2 mile is too far to walk. But, at least for a while, i'd walk them to school and pick them up. I walked three times a day, pulling a wagon full of preschoolers and wearing the babies on my back for YEARS.

Until about 3rd grade, I don't think i'd feel comfortable with sending them alone.

We had a HUGE pack of kids who walked home together. They'd meet by the baseball field, cross with the crossing guard and walk from there... they goofed off, they probably caused damage...they got hurt... but, they survived and are all fine, mature adults.

There's nothing wrong with walking. There's nothing wrong with expecting kids to get themselves to school by a certain age. We had a neighbor lady who walked her daughter to school every day until at least 6th grade! There were at least 50 kids all walking, but she was the only mom. The kids were all afraid of her...she was a little creepy.
familyschoolcare 02:00 PM 08-19-2012
So here is my thoughts.

I mostly do school aged and I transport to and from the school and the parents that call looking for care expect that. Sometimes a parent will call from a school that I can not transport to/from and I will say I have room however can not transport to ABC school at this time because they get out at the same time as XYZ and I already pick up form there.

Any way my advice is tha the Op sujest to the mom that perhaps this is not the best fit for daycare for her child any more.
Abigail 05:33 PM 08-19-2012
Sorry I didn't read everyone's posts, but this topic makes me happy that I don't have schoolagers! I know when I was little I had to walk home ALONE from first grade on up to sixth grade. I remember though watching kids getting picked up in a cab. Same goes for kids in my area now that I'm an adult. Back in college I got a part time job bringing my friends daughter to and from school and they paid me $10/day because they said if they had a cab driver do it it would cost the same but they were willing to have someone they knew take the job. You can ask the mom to help pay for a cab for the kids and it should be the same cab driver who will get to know the kids and recognize them. Just an option to look into!
Country Kids 07:56 PM 08-19-2012
I just did some reading on this subject on the internet. The recommended age for a child to walk alone to school (which they would be doing here) is 10. My 5th grader would just be old enough to walk alone if I followed this guideline.

I noticed some said 1/2 a mile isn't far and you have done it with little ones before. I know personally for us to go .25 of a mile it takes me at least 1/2 an hour to 45 min of walking with my group. How early before school would you have to leave to go 1/2 a mile.

Now 1/2 a mile without any adult supervision is pretty far. That would be two time around a track. Picture that stretched out and thats pretty far for this age.

Lucy, here's what I would do tomorrow:

1. Call liscensing-see if its ok for you to let kids walk, see if you can have parents sign a release.

2. Call a lawyer and see what kind of release they reccommend and may sure you cannot be held reliable.

3. Have your parents, you and other parents call the superintendent and let him know that you as parents are uncomfortable with this. Let him know personally that you guys feel that he's putting these children at risk making them walk to school without any adults. Put it out there and see if he would be the one responsible if something were to happen to them.

I know with the weather you guys get where you live it won't be fun once the heavy rains start and the bitter cold. I just know you need to take the responsibility off of you and put it on the parent and the superintendent.
DaycareMama 09:03 PM 08-19-2012
I no longer take SA kids because of this. Once the walking rule changed I was done. I do get a lot of calls for this but when I talk to the parents about my concerns on the little ones walking they usually change their minds to. To many what if's for me.
laundrymom 03:36 AM 08-20-2012
When I took SA I offered CARE, not transport. Im not the parent, getting their child to and from their destinations is not my job. I'm not a taxi service, I'm a care service. They had friends drop & pick or made arrangements w school but it was not a service I handled.
MaritimeMummy 04:59 AM 08-20-2012
Not your problem. If it concerns the parents, give them the name and number of a local taxi service. Out of your hands.
countrymom 05:14 AM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
When I took SA I offered CARE, not transport. Im not the parent, getting their child to and from their destinations is not my job. I'm not a taxi service, I'm a care service. They had friends drop & pick or made arrangements w school but it was not a service I handled.
i agree with this, since when has it become a providers responsibility to find a way for a child to get to school, has that issue now become a providers problem too.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 08-20-2012
Our school system also requires students to walk 1/2 mile for K-4th grade and up to a mile for 5th grade and older.

Here is a great "test" to see if your child is ready to walk to school alone and/or stay home alone: http://life.familyeducation.com/safe...tml?detoured=1

I agree with others, it is the parents responsibilty to figure out what to do in this situation.
Crystal 07:32 AM 08-20-2012
Lucy,

I would talk to the parent directly. Tell her what her child said. Ask her what her concerns are. Let her know you understand, but it is just not feasible for you to transport to and from school. Ask her what she feels are logical solutions to the problem.

I understand your husband's concerns, so ask him what he recommends you do. Does he expect you to transport the kids? Does he expect you to stop caring for school age kids? Does he think he can support the family and allow you to quit altogether? If he is going to get uptight about it, perhaps he should come up with a solution to the problem, rather than just complain about it.

Personally, I find it perfectly reasonable, considering the proximity to the school, the practicing and preacautions you have taken, for the children to walk to school. If that doesn't work for the parents, perhaps you can look into hiring a service to transport to and from school and add it to the parents weekly fees.

Or, maybe hubby can start a new business, buy a 9-12 passenger van and start a taxi service for daycare providers
Lucy 09:20 AM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Or, maybe hubby can start a new business, buy a 9-12 passenger van and start a taxi service for daycare providers
LOL.. I LOVE this!!!

Thank you all for the great thoughts and suggestions. This is still a work in progress. We have 3 weeks till school starts. I will keep you updated, but it does look like I'm at the very least going to have them sign a paper. I will walk with them at the beginning (with 3 little kids in a double stroller ), and probably end up driving them if it's pouring rain or freezing cold. Not sure about after school though. The little ones are just waking up about the time the bus used to get here. I hate this!! But I can deal with it, just like I've dealt with any other problems that have popped up over the last 18 years of doing DC.

Thanks again.
My3cents 10:56 AM 08-20-2012
Everyone wants kids safe!

I think if you called the school and talked with the principal and superintendent and explained your concerns, most likely they will find this a safety issue. Esp if the buses are running by your house in the first place. Throw the word safety issue out there and more then likely they will comply. It sounds like they have to cross a busy road, and they are young.

Transportation to and from school should be the parents responsibility. If they want this service then they need to find a daycare that provides it. Most don't. Centers do, but home daycare's usually don't. When you have a group of mixed children it can be a hassle to provide this service, and being a sole provider. Being paid for before and after school doesn't mean that you have to provide the transportation. It means that you keep the child before school and after school. Parents are paying you to keep the child safe from the time they get done school and arrive at your home until they are picked up.

Best-
MarinaVanessa 01:37 PM 08-20-2012
Crystal pretty much said it all.

Also In the end it might not even be a non-issue at all. Maybe she was thinking out loud. Happened to me once with a different issue only parent sis bring up concern with me. I told her what I was willing to provide and it turned out that she ended up being ok with it in the end anyway. So you can talk to her directly "Hey Susan, little Mark mntioned earlier that you had some concerns over having him walk to school. You want to discuss it?" or you can let sleeping dogs lay and see what happens.
Lucy 11:31 AM 08-21-2012
Well, the 2nd grader who told me her mom wasn't agreeable to all this might just be full o' beans. I've talked about the walking issue since then and the mom has not even given a hint that she's not on board. Today I texted the 3 moms and asked what evening they want to all get together and walk the route as a group with the kids and me. They all answered pretty much the same... "I'm good with any night. Just let me know!"

So, we shall see. I hesitate to call her out on it and say that her daughter told me she (the mom) doesn't trust the other 2 kids. Maybe the girl took something out of context, misunderstood, or made it up (not likely, but ya never know).

I'm just going to let it all play out and see what happens.
countrymom 11:46 AM 08-21-2012
can another adult walk with them in the morning and afterschool. My back up lady has a older child walk with the kids to and from school. The parents pay the walker. How about if one of the parents start work later, maybe they can walk with the kids too. Or do you have an assistant, she can walk with the kids. Or you can all discuss about paying for a cab.
Tags:bus, complaints, liability, permission slip, safety, safety issues, school, school bus, walking, walking to school
Reply Up