Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Shut Down After Infant Death
BumbleBee 06:20 AM 10-12-2013
Updated part .

The child died on Sep 10th. Looks like an autopsy was done.

Article from Sep 11th: http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i..._at_in-ho.html

This article gives a little bit more info of violations & revoking her license: http://www.grandhaventribune.com/article/647581

The more detailed article has the full report available as a pdf that you can download.

Original Post:

http://touch.woodtv.com/10000/113362067

The title says it all.
Maria2013 06:34 AM 10-12-2013
we do not know what really killed that baby, I feel for all involved here
Josiegirl 06:42 AM 10-12-2013
Such a tragedy and scary for any dcp to read. Are they doing an autopsy or would they even know if the med. caused his death? So many things wrong with that picture.
Unregistered 06:55 AM 10-12-2013
the article didn't say if baby was placed on stomach or back
do you know how the baby was sleeping?
also I have given my own babies that same amount of tylenol at this age(per Dr. instructions) I think it had more to do with the mattress, temp of the room, lack of air flow, probably sids..but really sad no matter the cause
Mom2TLE 07:09 AM 10-12-2013
I had a mom come in on Thurs and tell me DCB 6 months had not been sleeping well. She thought either a cold or teething so she brought in a bottle of Tylenol for me to give him to help him sleep. I told her I wasn't comfortable giving him something for the sole purpose of helping him sleep. I read this and am so glad I stood behind my morals and did not give it to him. You never know what reaction a child will have to any medication even after they have had it before.
What I am surprised about is the information cards and missing some and that this particular child's name was on another child's card. So many things could have gone wrong on so many levels because of this alone. She was over group size and ratios. This is so sad and my heart breaks for that mama that will never get to see her LO again.
MyAngels 07:29 AM 10-12-2013
So awful.

I'll be interested to see any updates on this if you care to post. It sounds like she was playing fast & loose with ratios including the ages and may have been using sloppy paperwork to cover in case of a surprise visit.
cheerfuldom 07:39 AM 10-12-2013
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
I had a mom come in on Thurs and tell me DCB 6 months had not been sleeping well. She thought either a cold or teething so she brought in a bottle of Tylenol for me to give him to help him sleep. I told her I wasn't comfortable giving him something for the sole purpose of helping him sleep. I read this and am so glad I stood behind my morals and did not give it to him. You never know what reaction a child will have to any medication even after they have had it before.
What I am surprised about is the information cards and missing some and that this particular child's name was on another child's card. So many things could have gone wrong on so many levels because of this alone. She was over group size and ratios. This is so sad and my heart breaks for that mama that will never get to see her LO again.
I never give children any medication ever. Nothing outside of topical creams like a diaper rash cream. I do not administer medication even if the parent provides it. I found out one time that a parent was giving a child Tylenol before ever nap and bedtime....two or three times a day for months (a year?) before they happened to mention it to me. I definitely provided information regarding appropriate use of Tylenol. This child has severe delays now at 4 years old. I can't say what affect the constant medication might have had but it does make me wonder.....parents think Tylenol is a fix all for everything.
Meeko 09:39 AM 10-12-2013
I never give meds either. The liability is just waaay too high. And quite frankly, if the child needs to be medicated, they should be at home.
BumbleBee 11:48 AM 10-12-2013
Updated in the original post.
BumbleBee 04:38 AM 10-14-2013
Thank you Nannyde.
blandino 05:41 AM 10-14-2013
How horrible. Clearly, I was wrong.

What does scare me though, is say the other kids hadn't tested positive for Bendaryl. And the parents & provider both denied giving it to the baby - then it is word against word. What a scary situation to be be in.
Cradle2crayons 06:50 AM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
How horrible. Clearly, I was wrong.

What does scare me though, is say the other kids hadn't tested positive for Bendaryl. And the parents & provider both denied giving it to the baby - then it is word against word. What a scary situation to be be in.
I wonder exactly how much Benadryl was given to that child... I mean obviously if the dose is 1/2 tsp and you give 1 tsp that wouldn't be enough to kill a child, so the scary part is that it would have had to have been an obviously horrendous amount and not an accident.
nannyde 07:17 AM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I wonder exactly how much Benadryl was given to that child... I mean obviously if the dose is 1/2 tsp and you give 1 tsp that wouldn't be enough to kill a child, so the scary part is that it would have had to have been an obviously horrendous amount and not an accident.
The op case is not the Benadryl case. And no it doesn't take a large dose. In past Benadryl poisoning cases there was a history of giving this med wherein the amount needed to get the desired effect increase over time. All the kids in her care tested positive for it in hair follicle testing. That shows a pattern of administration.

Benadryl is not to be used birth to two and with dr order only age two to five.
Cradle2crayons 07:24 AM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The op case is not the Benadryl case. And no it doesn't take a large dose. In past Benadryl poisoning cases there was a history of giving this med wherein the amount needed to get the desired effect increase over time. All the kids in her care tested positive for it in hair follicle testing. That shows a pattern of administration.

Benadryl is not to be used birth to two and with dr order only age two to five.
All of the local pediatricians recommend Benadryl after vaccinations, of course at a weight approved dose.
Tags:article, death, death at daycare
Reply Up