Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Everyone Calling...
KDC 09:27 AM 01-03-2013
I think over the holiday's everyone is getting to their 'to do list', and calling the 'daycare lady'. I'm getting a ton of calls & e-mails (which is good). I'm in a cushy situation right now, with the right ages & group of kids and haven't been extending myself passed my limits. I know this will be coming to an end as a lot of my kids are either going to start full-time school or part-time preschool leaving some holes in my income. So I need to pick it and make some decisions!

I have someone looking to start RIGHT AWAY - problem.. it's an infant 12 weeks old).. worse then that... it's part-time 2 days a week. Even worse, it's Monday's & Tuesday's... blech. She's being pushy, and I get it -- she needs to start the 7th, she just contacted me last week and hasn't even been for an interview (this come Saturday morning).

BUT...

I have a person that contacted me first for a FULL-time, 3 yr. Old... I would LOVE to have this kid. The parents have been taking their sweeeeeetttt time! They've contacted me twice for information, but just sent me an e-mail today that they're ready to start the interview process, apparently I've passed they're initial daycare screening process.

Now I'm stuck. I've sent the 3 yr. old couple a heads up that I am interviewing an interested couple this Saturday... and am now waiting to see if they push through their interest a little faster. Infants, 2 days a week really kinda are no fun. I haven't had the best of luck. My DCB is 10 months now, but was AWFUL for the first 7 months... had a term letter written and in the envelope but chickened out... lucky for me he turned the corner and is now an adorable 10 month old who now moved to 4 days a week =)

I don't want to lead the baby on, and it's taking forever for this 3 yr. old couple (started process in early November). Do I be honest with the infant parent and say there's one other family I'm considering? Ugh... This is not the fun part of this job.

WWYD?
Thanks!
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 01-03-2013
I only enroll infants at the full weekly rate, whether they attend full time or not. Infant spaces are hard to find here so it is the norm for most providers in my area.

I would take the part time infant BUT I would let family know that if the baby doesn't mesh well or adapt on the two day a week schedule, you won't do it. Maybe do a trial run for 2 weeks or 30 days ?

As far as the other kid (the 3 yr old) I would still interview and then see what happens. The 3 yr old might not be a great fit (or come with red flags) and the baby might not be what you expect either.

You just never know in this business but sometimes, you have to go with the order things are presented to you.
Crazy8 09:57 AM 01-03-2013
I would flat out ask the parents of the 3 year old if they are available to interview this weekend. If they are not, let them know that you will be making your decision on this weekends interviews (don't tell them there is only 1) by Monday and you will let them know early next week if you haven't filled the spot.

Glad to hear you are getting many calls! I find this time of year slow - no one seems to make moves in the middle of winter around here!
MarinaVanessa 03:16 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I would flat out ask the parents of the 3 year old if they are available to interview this weekend. If they are not, let them know that you will be making your decision on this weekends interviews (don't tell them there is only 1) by Monday and you will let them know early next week if you haven't filled the spot.

Glad to hear you are getting many calls! I find this time of year slow - no one seems to make moves in the middle of winter around here!
Ditto here also. And like BlackCat says in my area infant spots are hard to come by so I wouldn't do it unless they were needing for FT or I was REALLY needing the money. Finding a W-F child is going to be REALLY HARD. I took on 2 PT infants but only because their schedules ended up working with mine. I had 2 empty spots on Mondays and 1 T-F and one DCM needed M & W and the other needed M,T,Th, F so it was PERFECT!!

I'd call the family and point blank say "Hi, I was just calling to confirm that you really did have a serious interest in my DC. I have another child interested in this spot wanting to start as soon as Monday and I didn't want to offer them the only spot I have to them without offering you the Monday start date first. How early were you thinking about needing childcare?"

And if they don't want to be hurried or pushed then you can decide whether to take the infant or wait to see if the toddler family will sign up with you later. .

And what is it about people needing childcare starting the 7th?? The 2 infants both had a Monday the 7th start day and tons of calls for the same start date. Do college classes start Monday??
allsmiles 08:27 PM 01-03-2013
yes.. nov and dec was a literal drought.. not one call.. i knew once all the presents were bought and ppl getting back to work, there would be more ppl looking for daycare..since january 2nd my phone wouldnt stop ringing. i have had 2 interviews and two noshows already!
hoping whoever you pick will be a good fit for your group!!
KEG123 06:39 AM 01-04-2013
SEND SOME MY WAY! I'm freaking out because I haven't gotten any calls and my one little girl's last day is today
mbullette 08:13 AM 01-04-2013
I honestly would not take the infant unless it was full time or you really needed the money. I took a 3 month old who comes 2 days a week and its been pure hell. He has not adjusted to being here because he is bounced around from his two grandparents, me and the parents. I am thinking about letting him go just because its more of a hassle then anything. The parents told me he was a great baby and all he does here is scream. I would honestly do a lot of thinking before making the decision.

Good luck!!!!
Danie362 10:37 AM 01-04-2013
I know, I need some children too I only have 1 looking for about five really need to get these spots filled soon.
daycare 10:39 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by KEG123:
SEND SOME MY WAY! I'm freaking out because I haven't gotten any calls and my one little girl's last day is today
ditto here....dry spell since JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Up