Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Follow Up to "Need Some Advice"
wdmmom 07:44 AM 05-11-2012
Per the other thread, I was experiencing some problems schedule wise with DCM about DCB's new maternity leave and sent a notice out that I would be changing my closing time and needed DCB's schedule changes submitted no later than June 1st.

DCM picked up yesterday and gave notice. His last day will be July 5th. 8 days before the 3 year mark. I'll miss him but I know this is the best thing for my business, myself and my family.

By this family leaving, I will now be able to cut my closing time to 5pm rather than 530pm. This will help out immensely.

I have a new baby that will start sometime the end July/beginning of August and after I get him acclimated to the daycare, I will start my search for a 2+ year old to fill the vacancy I'll have.

Thank you to those who gave me the suggestion to put a "due date" on the schedule and just tell her that the hours were changing. I feared this would happen but he's only leaving about 7 weeks earlier than I anticipated anyway.
dEHmom 08:07 AM 05-11-2012
Sorry to hear that, bad glad you have a replacement already.

I used to try to be so accommodating to the parents, and it was always "no problem" when they wanted more time, etc.

Now that I am licensed with more kids, I started having more of a backbone and being able to just say "no" if I felt bad, I would blame it on licensing rules/regs.

I just realized how important my time with my own children are, and my evenings are short enough.

So she knew she was leaving anyways but hadn't told you yet? Everything always works out.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 05-11-2012
I agree that it is sad that they are leaving earlier than expected but Yah for you that you get to close earlier!!! Time can definitely be worth more than money when it comes to being able to spend it with your own family.

I am glad you put your foot down and gave them a due date. I am sure you will not have any issues picking up a new child, as I have heard from someone 'close' to you that you have a wonderful reputation in your area!

So chin up and enjoy that extra bit of time you get from closing early!!
MarinaVanessa 08:22 AM 05-11-2012
The good news is that you know that you do have another coming in the late summer so that's great. Just wondering why you'll wait until after the baby starts to find a 2yo?

You probably have valid reasons for doing it this way but I'd want to start advertising for the 2yo spot now and hope to have it filled and have THAT child acclimated by the time the baby started KWIM? If I didn't find a 2yo by the time the baby started then I'd hold off on finding the 2yo until the baby and I were comfortable with the routine then I'd restart the search.

But who knows. Maybe you want a nice laid back summer
wdmmom 08:33 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
The good news is that you know that you do have another coming in the late summer so that's great. Just wondering why you'll wait until after the baby starts to find a 2yo?

You probably have valid reasons for doing it this way but I'd want to start advertising for the 2yo spot now and hope to have it filled and have THAT child acclimated by the time the baby started KWIM? If I didn't find a 2yo by the time the baby started then I'd hold off on finding the 2yo until the baby and I were comfortable with the routine then I'd restart the search.

But who knows. Maybe you want a nice laid back summer
We are only allowed to have 3 babies under 2 so I need to find a new child 2 and older. I've advertised and had 1 bite but I couldn't accommodate their needs.

I figured with 1 being gone for summer (teacher's kid) and 1 leaving right before my vacation, I might as well enjoy a couple/three weeks of quiet, get the new baby going and then start advertising full force. I've found it's much easier in this area to get a kid at the end of summer than the beginning. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully he'll be a lot better than the last one. I don't want another projectile vomiter/colicky baby.
MarinaVanessa 10:33 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I figured with 1 being gone for summer (teacher's kid) and 1 leaving right before my vacation, I might as well enjoy a couple/three weeks of quiet, get the new baby going and then start advertising full force.
That's what I figured and that's as good a reson as they get . I hope that you enjoy the quiet and that the baby works out great.
cheerfuldom 10:37 AM 05-11-2012
At least you have a resolution and can move on. Being in limbo gets old fast.
saved4always 04:51 PM 05-11-2012
I am glad that at least you know now. I personally cannot stand when I don't know what my schedule is going to be. Kind of stinks that they are leaving early but it is great that you get that extra half hour!
Christian Mother 10:46 PM 05-11-2012
It's hard losing one but it's still a couple months a way so you can spend some time with dck. I am glad thought that you send out that letter...it def. made her respond. Maybe not in the way you'd like but she was planning on leaving...just sad it's sooner. But the good thing is that your able to plan and you know what's going on then being left hanging.
Reply Up