Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Most Cost Efficient Meals/Snacks...Yucky Medical Bill :(
SunflowerMama 07:46 AM 03-07-2011
Ok long story short I just got off the phone with the insurance company and have an ER visit bill for over $3,000 (why do I have insurance again). So I'm thinking of ways to cut back on costs a bit for the next few months while I take care of this bill.

Currently I'm spending about $150-$200 week for 6 dcks and my 2 kids and husband. I know I can do better than this.

What are your most cost effective and as healthy as possible meals/snacks for the dcks. I do crock pot a little but not as much as I could.

Any cost cutting suggestions??
jessrlee 07:57 AM 03-07-2011
I have a ton of suggestions for you! Would you be willing to pm me your #? I can give you a ring during naptime.
lil angels 08:02 AM 03-07-2011
I need some ideas to!!!
tenderhearts 08:29 AM 03-07-2011
Do you like to clip coupons? You can go to several places online and clip coupons printing them right on your computer, a great place that helps you with all the "deals" is krazycouponlady.com, she teaches you how and she writes out the deals and how to do each one.
This is just one way, there's a lot more. I feed 6 daycare kids plus my family of 4 on $80 - $100 per week, with some times going to $125 but that's maybe once a month - month and a half. I'm sure others on here will have some great ideas too.
SunflowerMama 08:45 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Do you like to clip coupons? You can go to several places online and clip coupons printing them right on your computer, a great place that helps you with all the "deals" is krazycouponlady.com, she teaches you how and she writes out the deals and how to do each one.
This is just one way, there's a lot more. I feed 6 daycare kids plus my family of 4 on $80 - $100 per week, with some times going to $125 but that's maybe once a month - month and a half. I'm sure others on here will have some great ideas too.
What kind of meals/snack do you typically serve the daycare kids to keep it b/w $80 - $100/wk?
nannyde 08:48 AM 03-07-2011
Sun do you make home made bread?
marniewon 08:59 AM 03-07-2011
1. Coupons are great, especially when combined with a store sale.

2. Cook/bake from scratch. Always cheaper.

3. Think outside the box. Want roasted red peppers for your homemade pizza? Or croutons for your salad? Instead of buying pre-packaged, make them yourself. (croutons and bread crumbs are super easy and cheap using heels of bread or stale bread).

4. Go to www.hillbillyhousewife.com for all sorts of money saving tips. They also have a whole week's worth of meals for $45 and $70. Recipes, tips, etc.

5. When you go to the grocery store, always check the "manager's specials" on meat, bread, produce. As long as you use/freeze them right away, they are still good.

Last month, out of necessity, I fed my family of four (myself, dh and 2 teen boys) and 3 full time dc kids for around $200 for the month. All of dc meals/snacks were healthy, and most of my family's were healthy.
nannyde 09:06 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
1. Coupons are great, especially when combined with a store sale.

2. Cook/bake from scratch. Always cheaper.

3. Think outside the box. Want roasted red peppers for your homemade pizza? Or croutons for your salad? Instead of buying pre-packaged, make them yourself. (croutons and bread crumbs are super easy and cheap using heels of bread or stale bread).

4. Go to www.hillbillyhousewife.com .
I learned a lot about cooking from hillbillyhousewife. Simple recipes kids really love.
Tags:meals, medical bills, recipes, snacks
Reply Up