Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do?
daycare123 05:24 PM 05-30-2012
So 4yr old dcb had shots 2 weeks ago this last monday. Friday 103 fever. I did not send him home beings he had mmr and chicken pox shot. So i thought that it was from the shots. Dcb comes back tueday with a rash on his arms and legs. Kinda like they were blisters that had popped. Well tuesday afternoon he shows me the bottom of his feet. Looks just like hand foot and mouth spots. No fever since saturday. His sister today at lunch time, poking around with her food. Took temp....103. Gave ibuprofen and sent to nap. My concern is that dcb's fever was not from shots but possibly hfm, especially now that sister has fever. I have a 3 month old in my care and am very concerned that it is hfm. mom isn't quite sure. i text her this evening and said if dcg has fever tomorrow i will be sending home. What would you all do? Anyone think its hfm? Thanks!!!
Willow 05:39 PM 05-30-2012
Some children contract a mild case of chicken pox from the vaccine itself because it's in live virus form although usually that sort of reaction isn't accompanied by fever.

I'd request kiddo be checked by doc to try to sort it out one way or another, especially if you're concerned about HFM.
MarinaVanessa 05:40 PM 05-30-2012
If the DCB has spots on the bottom of his feet then more than likely he has HFMD and he needs to go home now. He needs to be seen by a DR tomorrow and don't let him come back until you have a diagnosis. Any time that any child has an undiagnosed rash I send home immediately with or without a fever. Even if it is HFMD not all kids get the fever. You shouldn't allow a child with an undiagnosed rash around the other kids. You'll probably have to alert the other parents too and give them the heads up to look out for fever and a rash. Just in case it is HFMD I'd sanitize everything tonight, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Personally I have a policy that requires all DCK's to stay home for 48 hours after getting shots, so my clients all schedule their kids vaccinations on Friday afternoons so that they don't have to miss an entire day off of work and so that their 48 hours passes through Saturday and Sunday. This is one of the reasons that I do it, so that I don't mistake symptoms of one thing for vaccination symptoms.

I really hope that it just ends up being a side effect to the vaccinations and that it really isn't HFMD. We were just talking about how contageous it is and how quickly it spreads. Good luck. Hugs to you and hoping that it isn't HFMD .
MarinaVanessa 06:00 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
Some children contract a mild case of chicken pox from the vaccine itself because it's in live virus form although usually that sort of reaction isn't accompanied by fever.

I'd request kiddo be checked by doc to try to sort it out one way or another, especially if you're concerned about HFM.
Like Willow said, it could be a rash from the vaccine itself however with chicken pox it's very rare that the spots show up on the palms of the hands or soles of the feet especially if there are no spots anywhere else on the body. Check him for a rash on the rest of the body like on his chest to see if he has it on the chest too. Chicken Pox isn't that much better than having HFMD and you'll still have to exclude him from DC.
Crystal 09:05 PM 05-30-2012
Did the sister get the vaccination too? If not, she wouldn't have the same symptoms. I would have sent her home at the first sign of fever, considering the circumstances.

if it IS hfm.....it is likely everyone has already been exposed, so there is really no reason to exclude for it at this point. Thoroughly clean the environment, and be diligent about keeping it up over the next few weeks (should anyway but it doesn't always happen) Be careful about washing hands throughly and sanitizing surfaces after toileting/diapering.

If it is NOT hfm, well...then...everything is nice and clean and it is better to be safe than sorry
sahm2three 09:32 PM 05-30-2012
I would NEVER keep a child with a fever that high for any reason! They would have gone home and not return for at least 24 hours after their fever normalized.
SilverSabre25 10:11 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Did the sister get the vaccination too? If not, she wouldn't have the same symptoms. I would have sent her home at the first sign of fever, considering the circumstances.
I'm not sure that's true...people "shed" the virus after a vaccine, so IF that was chicken pox as a result of the vax, then sis could have caught CP from him, too.

I think it sounds like HFM, and no matter what reason, a fever that high = instant home for a couple days.
daycare123 05:49 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Like Willow said, it could be a rash from the vaccine itself however with chicken pox it's very rare that the spots show up on the palms of the hands or soles of the feet especially if there are no spots anywhere else on the body. Check him for a rash on the rest of the body like on his chest to see if he has it on the chest too. Chicken Pox isn't that much better than having HFMD and you'll still have to exclude him from DC.
He just has spots on his arms, legs and bottoms of his feet. No where else on his body
daycare123 05:54 AM 05-31-2012
I text mom last night and asked her to bring dcb into the dr and i am quite shocked she was upset with me. His sister did not get any vacc's when he did. Thank you all for the advice. She said she will let me know what the dr says this morning. I think part of the problem is i have been pretty lenient on my illness policy for fevers(shame on me big time) and such that now that i put my foot down she gets upset. My biggest concern is that i have a 3 month old i don't want to get it. Everything has been sanitized!!!! I will update when i hear from her!!
momofboys 06:29 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by daycare123:
So 4yr old dcb had shots 2 weeks ago this last monday. Friday 103 fever. I did not send him home beings he had mmr and chicken pox shot. So i thought that it was from the shots. Dcb comes back tueday with a rash on his arms and legs. Kinda like they were blisters that had popped. Well tuesday afternoon he shows me the bottom of his feet. Looks just like hand foot and mouth spots. No fever since saturday. His sister today at lunch time, poking around with her food. Took temp....103. Gave ibuprofen and sent to nap. My concern is that dcb's fever was not from shots but possibly hfm, especially now that sister has fever. I have a 3 month old in my care and am very concerned that it is hfm. mom isn't quite sure. i text her this evening and said if dcg has fever tomorrow i will be sending home. What would you all do? Anyone think its hfm? Thanks!!!
I would NEVER allow a child to be in my care with a high fever - doesn't matter WHAT caused the fever. When/if it's over 100.4 they are going home. I would tell the mom they can't come back b/c of the fever today so tomorrow they are excluded from care until they are 24 hours fever-free.
B Lou 06:37 AM 05-31-2012
Fever is fever. I send them home and they may not return to Dc until 24 hours fever free without aid.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm not sure that's true...people "shed" the virus after a vaccine, so IF that was chicken pox as a result of the vax, then sis could have caught CP from him, too.
I think it sounds like HFM, and no matter what reason, a fever that high = instant home for a couple days.
Which is part of why I do NOT allow children back into care until 48 hours AFTER they have had vaccinations.

Also a fever is a fever......like diarrhea, I don't care what the cause is, they can't be here until the fever has been gone for a full 24 hours.

Being lenient on you sick policy is something that other parents may not be happy about....(unless it is them you are accommodating) but out of respect for EVERYONE in your care, your illness policy should be followed to a T in order to keep the health of the group a priority.

If DCM was mad at you because you have been lenient in the past with her, I will bet you dollars to donuts she wil be the first one PO'ed when another DCK gets her child sick.

Being lenient only puts you in a corner and makes it so that the parents expect "special leniency" for them but not for others.....just not an area you want to venture into IMPO.
daycare123 06:51 AM 05-31-2012
well dcm just left. She said the dr said it was not hfm that it's a combination from the shots and whatever cold virus is going through their house. she is keeping the kids today beings she already took the day off work. Yes time to grow my back bone with everyone!! I guess i will just leave it at that and try to enjoy the rest of my day! Thanks ladies for your advice!
Tags:chicken pox, foot and mouth!, hand foot and mouth, hfm
Reply Up