Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Talk?
PitterPatter 08:15 AM 08-29-2011
I seem to be having a problem with a 4 yr old reverting to baby talk and the parents don't like it. I don't really like it either but I don't know what I can do about it other than make the verbal corrections on the spot and move on. Problem is I have 2 other kids that are 2 and 4. They are the ones stuck on baby talk. They put a "Y" on the end of everything. Now things like doggy are ok still but we have things like "blocky, huggy, forky, diapy, rocky, shoey,..." you get the idea. When they 1st came I let them go but then started making corrections "that is a rock, say rock" They say "rock" and we move on. The problem is when their parents pick them up I notice DCM does the same speaking to them using words like that and letting them speak like a baby.

DCD is even worse talking to them like this with a high picthed baby voice like he is speaking to an infant. I made a correction right in front of DCD this morning. They had brought rocks as usual and I told them the rocks have to stay in the car. DCG (4) held up 1 and said "rocky" I said "that's a pretty rock but it has to stay in the car please" DCB held his up and said "rocky" I said yes I see your "ROCK that's a rock." DCD then says "ok baby put the rockies back in the car mmmmkaaaayyy?" DCG walks over even toddling like a baby and DCB follows. DCB shows his Dad and says "rocky" DCD says "ok we will get more rockies when we go home mmmmkaaaayyyy now give Daddy huggies" They give him hugs and he leaves.

Now DCB 4 from another family who spoke just fine is now calling his shoes shoey and asking for huggies as drop off among other baby talk works. DCM wants to know why he's talking like a baby. I tell her he hears the other kids and she tells me I need to make sure her son is speaking correctly and I should encourage the other kids to do the same. I think, well thank you Captain Obvious!! I tell her we are working on it. She tells DCB do NOT talk like a baby! Gives him a hug and says "huG G G HUG!" She leaves. So now what? I don't like being told how to run my daycare but she is right in not wanting her son to revert to baby talk. What can I do when the other parents reinforce the baby talk to their own 4 yr old?
blessedmess8 09:35 AM 08-29-2011
One thing I've tried is o tell the kids "I can't hear you until you talk like a big boy/girl." Ans ignore anything spoken as baby talk. Also this may just be one of these times you have to say, "I know your Mommy and Daddy can hear you when you talk like a baby, but I can only hear big girl!oy talk here!" Eventually if you ignore it long enough they will correct themselves!
laundrymom 10:02 AM 08-29-2011
I would just agree with mom and go on. If she mentions it again I would just tell her. " one of the interesting things about family childcare is blending so many family styles and ways of doing things. Right now we seem to be adding the "y" sound to words, next month I'm sure it will be choosing the word for gas or if we cut sandwiches in squares or triangles. I know the adding of sounds bothers you and I AM trying to curb it. However I won't correct any ones parenting unless I see abuse or neglect or a safety issue. I extend that curtesy to all my families. Could you Imagine if I went around policing everyones parenting style when it differs from mine? I'd have to hire an assistant to watch the kids and double rates! "

Then do the smile and stare.
kitkat 11:09 AM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
One thing I've tried is o tell the kids "I can't hear you until you talk like a big boy/girl." Ans ignore anything spoken as baby talk. Also this may just be one of these times you have to say, "I know your Mommy and Daddy can hear you when you talk like a baby, but I can only hear big girl!oy talk here!" Eventually if you ignore it long enough they will correct themselves!
I like that answer!

There is no need for the kids to do baby talk. That is a big pet peeve of mine and I totally get the mom being upset that her 4 yr old is picking up on it (loved the Cpt. Obvious comment ). Honestly, I would correct them right in front of DCD/DCM. No, it's not a rocky, it's a rock. Then I'd have them say it again...look at my rock. Nice rock, now put it outside. Your house, your rules. If you don't want baby talk and aren't making progress curbing it by correcting the kids, then you should probably mention to the DCD that you are working on having the kids say things the right way and ask that when he's at your house to nix the baby talk. If you don't want to confront him verbally, I'd send a note.

When the kids say something to me in a whiny way, forget please/thank you, have food in their mouth, etc, I say excuse me. It takes a few times at first for them to why I'm saying excuse me, but I do clue them in. But after those few times, they get right a way that when I say excuse me that they need to say it correctly.
CheekyChick 11:41 AM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would just agree with mom and go on. If she mentions it again I would just tell her. " one of the interesting things about family childcare is blending so many family styles and ways of doing things. Right now we seem to be adding the "y" sound to words, next month I'm sure it will be choosing the word for gas or if we cut sandwiches in squares or triangles. I know the adding of sounds bothers you and I AM trying to curb it. However I won't correct any ones parenting unless I see abuse or neglect or a safety issue. I extend that curtesy to all my families. Could you Imagine if I went around policing everyones parenting style when it differs from mine? I'd have to hire an assistant to watch the kids and double rates! "

Then do the smile and stare.
LOL!!! Love it!!!
PitterPatter 11:45 AM 08-29-2011
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to try a little of each!
Tags:baby talk
Reply Up