Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part-Time Hours/Full-time Hours
Country Kids 01:46 PM 08-02-2011
OK, I'm still trying to figure out if I want to change my rates or not. I love how everyone gave the very easy math equation of the rate x the weeks of the year / by the months. So easy, I don't know why I didn't figure it out before.

Now, another question here:

If you charge by the day-what do you consider part-time hours and what is full-time hours.

Same with charging by the week-what is considered part-time and full-time.

Lastly the month charges-what is part-time versus full-time.

I actually make great money on my full timers 8-10 hours a day charging hourly. What messes me up though are my part-timers. Trying to find something that fits them but still affordable.

Just thought of this-what do you do if for some reason a person would go from part-time to full-time or vice versa. Like if they work a retail type job or something where they don't have the same schedule every week? Do you just do a drop in rate then?
kidkair 02:00 PM 08-02-2011
I charge by the week(full time) and by the day(part-time and drop-in). I do full day part-time so for me 1 to 4 days is part-time regardless of hours used and full time is 5 days. My rates are such that 4 days of part-time is more than full time.

With someone who changed from part-time to full time I would have them either do drop-in (which is 24 hour approval and nearly twice as much as full time and also charged by full day not by hours) or have them pay full time every week and let them use whatever hours they needed each week.
wdmmom 02:29 PM 08-02-2011
If a family only needs 24 hours or less per week, it's $100 minimum regardless of whether it's 4 hours, 14 hours, or 24 hours.

This way you cover the family that needs morning care 5 days per week or you cover the 3 days per week for 8 hours.
MarinaVanessa 02:32 PM 08-02-2011
Daily FT for me is 5-10 hours and PT daily is 5 hours or less.

Full-time for me is considered 30-50 hours a week. And PT is 29 hours or less. So in essence even if a DCK only comes 3 days a week they are still considered FT if they come for full 10 hour days (30 hours). Likewise a DCK that comes 5 days a week for 5 hours each day is still considered PT. I do it based on the number of hours instead of the days a week they come because I find that it makes more semse to do it that way than to charge someone that's here 25 hours a week FT rates. BUT if they do something like this they have to either leave before nap or come after nap. It's easier for me to fill the open time slots this way (ie: one PT is here 7am-12pm and a second PT is here 2-6pm.

Since I don't charge my months I'll let someone else chime in on that one. For me, I would still go by however many hours a week they need.

I suggest that to figure out what to charge your PT your should figure out what you are charging your FT's hourly and make sure that your PT are paying a little more. The more time you spend in DC the better the deal so to speak. Your drop-ins of course would pay a higher amount than your PT's.

Once you have your hours/FT/PT guideline figured out getting someone to switch from FT to PT and vise versa will be easier. All you have to do is look at how many hours/days etc they need and compare it to your "guide" and you'll have your amount.

People that have retail jobs typically have schedules that change every week and can vary in hours and times each week which makes it impossible to schedule in another client. They require an entire space and so I require them to pay for a FT spot and for them to provide me with their work schedule two weeks in advance. Others don't mind the fluxuating schedule and so only require them to pay based on whether they themselves are FT or PT at their jobs etc. For example a FT retail employee will usually need FT childcare. Another good option is like you mentioned and charge them daily like a drop-in but with a minimum number of days or hours per week and maybe even at a higher rate than your drop-in rate. If they question why it's so much more expensive than a drop-in client you can argue that the extra $$ is to GUARANTEE their slot, where a drop-in client would not have that luxury.
JaydensMommy 05:17 PM 08-02-2011
I have a weekly rate. Part time for me would be if they are here 3 days a week or less or less than 4 hours a day 5 days a week. If a parent has a schedule that changes I would just charge them the full time rate or tell them that when they need those extra days you may not be available.
bice99 07:19 PM 08-02-2011
1-3 days of care = 3/5 of weekly rate +$15. 4 days is $40 more than that. I don't do 5 day anymore. I'm closed on Wednesdays

I had an 11-4 PT kid 5 days/week last year. Not anymore. either 7-noon or noon-5 if you want that, but I don't plan on doing that anymore. Too tough on everyone. I had him pay my 3 day rate, but lost out on $ since he was an infant taking a FT spot.

I charge monthly. Oh, and PT must have set days. If they want me available all 4 days I'm open, they pay that rate. Hope that helps.
daycare 08:25 PM 08-02-2011
9.5 hours and under are at $5.00 an hour which becomes your daily rate. I then take this and multiply it by 5.... This is for full time only.

anything over 9.5 hours is charged at an additional rate of $7.00 an hour and must be arranged 24 hours in advance to avoid $1.00 per min charge if you are late.

so full time fee is for 9.5 hour days= $47.50 daily x 5= $237.50 each week

Part timer the same exact way except they are at $6.00 an hour which becomes the daily rate x the number of days that child attends...
part time fee is 9.5 hour days=$57.00 daily x 3 = $171.00 week

anything over 9.5 hours is charged at an additional rate of $7.50 an hour, plus same as above.

If I need to open the daycare for you before opening there is a flate rate of an additional $10.00.

If I need to stay open for you (not late) for your daily schedule, there is an additional flate fee of$10.00 for me to extend my hours.

So far only one family has ever asked me to open for them early and one later.....
Tags:full time, hourly rates, part time
Reply Up